CSI: NY Forums

CBS (ended 2013)

Episode 8x18 'Near Death' discussion thread

boom-moo

[1]May 11, 2012
    • level: 75
    Please post your opinions/comments/discussion topics on episode 8x18 "Near Death" here.

-Spoilers are not allowed.
    -Bashing ships/characters is not allowed.
    -Discussion is welcome, arguing is not.
    -Trolls won't be fed, I love my cookies.
    -Be respecful, keep it cool.

Thank you
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Susan1961

[2]May 11, 2012
    • level: 6

I so hope this show is NOT canceled! I know that it is probably going to be but it pisses me off. If they leave it a cliffhanger & then cancel it I will be so disappointed. This episode makes me mad more than anything else! I would rather CSI: Miami be canceled. It seems so dark and "done"...nothing feels fresh any more but I don't get that same vibe from 'NY'. 'NY' still seems fresh. Maybe because of Jo Danville replacing Stella, I don't know; it just feels as though it has more stories that can be told without it feeling like it's a rerun continually. Additionally, with Mac having just started a fresh relationship with someone he could be happy with, I would hate it if they couldn't finish that story arc and maybe have them get married. The least CBS could do is give us at least a half season of CSI: NY to give us closure! After all these years, the actors/characters deserve that...WE deserve that! I have watched EVERY SINGLE EPISODE and I do NOT want it to end like this.

Thanks for letting me vent

boom-moo

[4]May 12, 2012
    Wow, what an emotional episode, I don't even know where to start from!

I really, really liked how TPTB dealt with the possibility that this is the final episode of the show, especially considering that they had to face the same conundrum last year. They did a good job last year but this episode was just amazing in that regard.

All the scenes where a "dying" Mac gets to talk to his team were fantastic. I particularly loved the one with Flack (omg, Mac knew about Flack shooting the guy who killed Jess! and Flack saying he never got to tell Jess that he loved her! and then Flack remembering Mac's words and struggling mightly not to take revenge and shoot Teena, gotta love how he walks off on his own down the line of school buses) and the one with Danny (how intense were those "I love you" while staring off out of the window?) . Those two scenes illustrate perfectly just how much Mac loves those two men and of course, viceversa.

I had to lol at Mac being unable to point out Adam's strength and left it at just "Adam". I can't help but thinking that the scene between Mac and Jo would have been beyond powerful if it would have been Mac/Stella instead but hey. Jo has only known Mac for two years, it doesn't sound enough to me to become his call to person, blah, blah. Whatever, I never warmed up to Jo.

Lindsay and Danny planning to move away to raise Lucy elsewhere? That's interesting as I don't picture Danny elsewhere.

So awesome of Sid to have made that donation to medical research!

Anyway, I really hope the show is back and Hawkes and Mac get to have children, Adam become a CSI and whatnot... one can dream

Mac mentions that the year that Jess died (5x25 is set on May 20th 2009) the Giants won the Super Bowl. I just Googled and in 2009 the Pittsburgh Steelers won vs the Arizona Cardinals. Am I getting that wrong?

Edited on 05/12/2012 9:11am
    Edited 2 total times.

jordinajamaica

[5]May 12, 2012
    • level: 42
    I totally agree with everything you've said, BM!

I have to confess that I expected a bigger DL scene... Yes, they were cute following Lucy around the lab but I wanted more... And Danny's good bye to Mac felt a little short to me... I loved the 'I love you's, it was simple and really emotional but I expected a little more.
    My favorite moment was probably Flack's moment with the 'dead' Mac... We got some continuity on his life with Angell and with what happened afterwards... and MY man Eddie, did an amazing job all this chapter.
    We had some great funny moments, the Flack and Mac bromance was great and Adam dancing with the dummy was hilarious: cha cha cha let me lead... cha cha cha I'm the man... cha cha cha

All in all, I would be ok if this was it. I hope it isn't since this past season has been really good and I don't like Miami as much as this show but if this is the end, it would have been an amazing journey Now we just have to wait until May 16th (next Wednesday) when CBS fall schedule would be announced Keep your fingers crossed!!

BM: I've checked the superbowl thingie and you are right... Giants won the superbowl on 2008 and on 2012 but not on 2009... Maybe they got confused by a year...

boom-moo

[6]May 12, 2012
    jordinajamaica wrote:
    BM: I've checked the superbowl thingie and you are right... Giants won the superbowl on 2008 and on 2012 but not on 2009... Maybe they got confused by a year...
    Just when we were praising TPTB on a job well done

Anyway, just for the sake of completion:

Flack and Angell moments wrote:
    4x07: Are you busting your game on me?
    4x13: Flack calls her Jess for the first time.
    4x13: Irish coffee date.
    4x15: Flack tells Angell she looks good in a vest
    4x20: Angell saves Flack from being run over.
    4x20: Angell calls him Don.
    5x07: Flack calls her to meet late at night.
    5x07: Flack calls her Jess.
    5x07: Angell calls him Don.
    5x07: They kiss!
    5x13: They are dating but trying to keep it quiet.
    5x13: Angell defends Flack with IAB.
    5x19: Sexiest thing I ever heard.
    5x19: NYPD blue.
    5x19: She grabs her gun when he is harassed.
    5x19: Flirting with the translator.
    5x20: Make out scene.
    5x24: Angell told him about the Kolovos case.
    5x24: Flack cares about her.
    5x24: Stella seems to acknowledge that they are together.
    5x25: Angell invites him over for a fun night.
    5x25: Flack thinks she is predictable.
    5x25: Flack freaks out and runs to her when he overhears the shooting over the phone.
    5x25: Flack calls her "babe", tries to calm her down and carries her in his arms to a squad car.
    5x25: Flack stands guard at hospital.
    5x25: Flack cries when she dies.
    5x25: Flack stays with her until Sid arrives.
    5x25: Flack can't bear the thought of her being autopsied.
    5x25: Flack returns her badge to her father.
    5x25: Angell's father says she had a different smile lately.
    5x25: Flack insists on helping out get her killer.
    5x25: Flack kills the man who killed Angell.
    5x25: Flack is devastated at the bar.
    8x18: Flack confesses to Mac that he regrets not having ever told Jess that he loved her and that even though it's been three years it still hurts him that she is gone as the pain is as real as if it'd only have been three months.

Squee

jordinajamaica

[7]May 12, 2012
    You know what? After that awesome scene with Flack and Mac I don't care that much!

I'm with you on not seeing Danny anywhere else that isn't NY... it could be funny, though... hearing him complain all the time...

boom-moo

[8]May 12, 2012
    jordinajamaica wrote:
    I'm with you on not seeing Danny anywhere else that isn't NY... it could be funny, though... hearing him complain all the time...
    At least they didn't mention Montana

jordinajamaica

[9]May 12, 2012
    It could be a spin-off... the Messers in Montana...

ltcomstella

[10]May 12, 2012
    • level: 18

or the messers in the missisippi

boom-moo

[11]May 13, 2012
    I'm wondering... all that information we've known by means of Mac's exchanges with the cast while he was at the surgery table (Danny and Lindsay considering moving out of the city, Sid donating money to medical research, Flack regretting not having told Jess that he loved her...) are the real deal or just Mac's thoughts/imagination?

Guess we won't know unless the show is picked up for a new season.

SweetMissJaye

[12]May 13, 2012
    • level: 21

I really loved this episode. I pray that this won't be the last season of CSI NY but if it is, it was an appropriate finish. Mac seems to have his wife's blessing in regards to his new relationship, so it's implied that he might have his happily ever after. When Mac greets the whole team at the end, that also seems to imply that they will go on as a happy family. If that ends up being the series finale, it was a good one. I'm glad they didn't leave us with a cliffhanger. Still, I love this show, and I don't want to say goodbye to the characters that I have loved all this time. The episodes are still good, the stories engrossing, and CSI NY is much better than many shows that are on television right now.

jordinajamaica

[13]May 13, 2012
    boom-moo wrote:
    I'm wondering... all that information we've known by means of Mac's exchanges with the cast while he was at the surgery table (Danny and Lindsay considering moving out of the city, Sid donating money to medical research, Flack regretting not having told Jess that he loved her...) are the real deal or just Mac's thoughts/imagination?

I think it's a little bit of both... He knows part of what of it and deduced the rest... I don't think the characters really talked to him about those topics but he knew they should and he was giving closure to everyone with the conclusions he obtained... Does that make sense???

boom-moo

[14]May 13, 2012
    It does but it's still Mac's side of things. I guess he'd be right in assuming what the others would say (except maybe for Sid) and too funny that he thinks that Adam's request would be having a shot with him.

By the way, it must have been kind of tough for A.J. to talk about what death feels like and stuff having lost his father recently.

Dewbak75

[15]May 14, 2012
    • level: 18

This was a great episode overall, but a couple of moments brought out something that I think is one of the real strengths of the CSI:NY team. Specifically, the strength of their #2, in this case Jo Danville. In her "ghost lab" scene with Mac, they talk about how she could do the job without Mac. And in a later scene at the hospital when they I.D. the girl who shot Mac, Jo projected a great sense of authority. I'm not sure if the SHOW could survive without Gary Sinise, but you definitely get the sense that if Mac leaves the job for real, they'd be in good hands with Jo running the lab(and that the team would support her succession). As much as I don't like him, the Miami lab would be lost without Horatio. And Catherine never really impressed me as a leader after Grissom left. I blame part of that on the showrunners, bringing in a marquis actor to play the new guy, who just completely overshadowed her. Ted Danson's going a great job as the team leader, but I don't know how effectively either Nick or Finn could lead them if DB left. Maybe it's just that I'm a big fan of Sela Ward and what she's brought to the show as Jo Danville, but I think having a 2nd legit authority figure really helps the show.

danharr

[16]May 14, 2012
    • level: 45

Not sure what cliffhanger poster two was referring to but yeah this would be the perfect ending to the show. Since Miami got the ax I doubt NY is going also this year. Great episode they did well with all the characters.

tonyandzivafan

[17]May 15, 2012
    • level: 41

As said later on I typed this as I saw the episode and before I learned the shows status.

Opening scene... OMG!!!!

Scene with Claire.... It was so nice to see her again. I love the actress that plays her. Reallymiss her on Eureka.

Jo & Flack... I was proud that they had Flack be the calm rational one. He lost the love of his life and now might loose someone else he cares about & admires.

And then the flashback... Lol at Flack being out of breath and yet typical Flack humor. at the old man comment from Mac to Flack.

And for all that don't like Jo... I can't imagine you not liking her in this episode.

Adam... Omg dancing with the dummy! I wonder if it brought back for AJ loosing his dad. Especially with Mac's line about dying: it's not so bad. Though I wonder about why the taking a shot of alcohol?? Thoughts anyone?

I hope Danny doesn't feel guilty. The whole maybe if I went to pick up the prescription none of this would happen.

Sid... I love their convo. And what Sid is doing with money he won. *squishy huggles Sid* To see Mac'crashing' in front of Sid broke me a bit. I wish I could unsee that.

Flack (back at the presinct)... *squishy huggles him*. And I didn't even think about him getting payback for Mac like he did Jess. And the super bowl speech.

Lmao! @ Mac's middle name. They timed that info perfectly. Allowed fans some comedy.

I'm typing this as I watch and while I believe Mac lives... I wonder what it be like to be the actress that shoots him. To be the girl that nearly kills or kills such a loved character.

Hawkes... Loved the convo between them too. I had to awww at the thought of Hawkes starting a family with Camille. They would make some really adorable babies.

Adorable kitty even when hissing.

And Flack is getting a serious workout in this episode. But will he kill her in revenge? Not to sound Simpson-y but pump those crazy legs Flack.

Yay! That got her and Flack didn't kill her.

Omg Lucy! So big now. Then Lindsay and Danny... Omg that is the moving on surprise. Please don't! If we get one more year... Please for the love of god don't!!

He is out of surgery!

Now Christine's turn... For once I don't not like her. To loose her brother who she dearly loved and then this. *huggles her*

And back to the dead wife... I loved her for saying: be happy Mac.

Yay! He is awake. *sighs in relief*

Ok ominous 6 months later... happily. Awesome ending. Bravo everyone.

boom-moo

[18]May 15, 2012
    danharr wrote:

Since Miami got the ax I doubt NY is going also this year.

We learnt on Sunday that it's been renewed

tonyandzivafan wrote:
    Jo & Flack... I was proud that they had Flack be the calm rational one.
    Yeah, he was strong for Jo but I loved how he was all broken and losing it when he was watching the footage and hitting the computer, and also how he struggled not to shot the girl.

tonyandzivafan wrote:
    And for all that don't like Jo... I can't imagine you not liking her in this episode.
    Meh, I didn't, I actually commented on that before. I mean, I didn't hate her but anyone in the team has known Mac for way longer and would have made for her speech a way more powerful one.
    tonyandzivafan wrote:
    I wonder if it brought back for AJ loosing his dad. Especially with Mac's line about dying: it's not so bad
    I also commented on this, it must have been hard on him indeed

tonyandzivafan wrote:
    Though I wonder about why the taking a shot of alcohol?? Thoughts anyone?
    I guess Adam wanted to see Mac relaxed, less uptight for once, something like that. Or at least that's what Mac thinks Adam would like.

tonyandzivafan wrote:
    And back to the dead wife... I loved her for saying: be happy Mac.
    Me too, Claire rocked!