CSI: NY Forums

CBS (ended 2013)

Episode 9x04 'Unspoken' discussion thread

boom-moo

[1]Oct 18, 2012
    • level: 75
    Please post your opinions/comments/discussion topics on episode 9x04 "Unspoken" here.

-Spoilers are not allowed.
    -Bashing ships/characters is not allowed.
    -Discussion is welcome, arguing is not.
    -Trolls won't be fed, I love my cookies.
    -Be respecful, keep it cool.

Thank you
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

jordinajamaica

[2]Oct 20, 2012
    • level: 42
    The chapter was ok... I didn't really like much the whole not talking for the first half... but....'Hey Montana' and the 'Was I naked?' were so squeee worthy that I dont mind much!!

danharr

[3]Oct 20, 2012
    • level: 45

Gotta love a cop who neglects her kid for the purse nice civilian move there Montana. Not a bad story the gimmick didn't really bother me I was glad not to hear Adele when something sad happened.

evilcleo

[4]Oct 20, 2012
    • level: 2

I liked the episode. It's one of those where what it seems, isn't. Although the unsubs motive didn't make any sense. For all that preparation and nerve it took for the guy to act, it was like he said "I just felt like it."

I also applaud the writers attempts to do something differentby the silence. It made you appreciate dialogue. However, the whole "the first half no one speaks" preview is misleading. Because in that half-hour, there was speaking, like 5 Green Day songs in a row! If they said there was gonna be silence, there should have been just silence then, with the onetypical song the show plays when analyzing the first lines of evidence.

boom-moo

[5]Oct 21, 2012
    I liked the episode very much. It was beyond weird not having a single line of dialogue for the first half of it but an image is more powerful than a thousand words and TPTB managed to keep my interest all along. Not that I'd like to see it done often, but kudos to TPTB for being brave and doing something different

I loved Mac's frustration not being able to remember the colour red and the triumphant way with which he wrote it on the board when he finally did. Very powerful the flashback to the blood drop on the ground from when he was shot! He should trust Christine with the truth though, she's been right there for him all along adn I don't see her going anywhere.

Very nice Messer family scenes.

Wow, the scene with Flack trying to save the little girl's life was very sad and intense And wow, he was so willing to eat the teacher alive during the questioning.

I feel sorry for the teacher, though. I mean, it's wrong to shoot someone and all and the chain of events after that is absolutely unfortunate but it seems to me that the woman who accused him of improper behaviour was not right at all. I wished he would have had a chance to fishslap her hard.
    Edited on 10/21/2012 12:52pm

GrandviewEagles

[6]Oct 23, 2012
    • level: 20
    I thought this episode was awesome! The no words for the first 30 minutes thing was kind of odd but it was still so intense! It breaks my heart when Mac can't remember and the scene where he was sitting at his desk playing the memory games was so hard to watch. All I wanted to do was give him a big hug. I actually gasped when Lindsay got hurt. The new Lucy is so cute. I think the Messer family has great chemistry together. I laughed so hard at the, "was I naked?" comment. The scene with Flack and the little girl also broke my heart. Though I did like that her name was Amy. Overall I thought this was a very good and intense episode.

tonyandzivafan

[7]Oct 25, 2012
    • level: 41

Sorry this is so late but I finally am getting to watch this episode (huggles DVR). So here are my thoughts as a I watch it.....

*Love the opening shot with the statue of Liberty. Having just been in NYC and seen it in person is quite amazing. When I get a chance I will try and share some pics in the Talk It Up...thread since the blogs are gone.

*There have been moments throughout the seasons/ episodes of this show where I have wanted to hug one of the characters for one reason or another. But watching Mac with doing the exercises to help him remember... And seeing him struggle to remember what a color was called (red), not only made me want to hug him very tightly but also to tell him he isn't alone. I don't know what it is like to forget names of colors but I know what it is like to forget something that I once knew. And to want to remember things even if not all that pleasant. It is likely too late to suggest this on a chance TPTB are reading fan reviews but I would love to see Mac go to a support group or find someone to talk to about his struggles. Let him know he isn't alone. Or maybe turn his experience into something positive. Whether is be his character or Gary himself raise awareness for those that are dealing/ have dealt with neurological issues (memory or something else).

*Awwww.... the new Lucy. Not that I didn't like the former one, but I feel like the new one looks a bit more like what a D/L kid would look like.

*Omg! *breathes* I am really hoping the little girl will be ok. Let this be a lesson to anyone. Do. Not. Pick. Up. A. Gun. (unless you know what you are doing)!!!

*I've always wondered if scenes like Flack trying to stop the bleeding of the little girl or any 'tense' moments like that get to them more if they have kids. Or are they able to separate their work from their personal/ home life.

* The little girl didn't make it. When they did the flashback and the other kid pulled out the magazine clip, he didn't put it back in right? I say that b/c the only explanation I can think of why a bullet came out that is was in the chamber.

*And Adam in the field. Love those scenes. And in another episode thread I made the comment of Adam not seeing like himself. While there haven't been any scenes so far for him to be funny, he seems better to me.

*I was surprised that the shooter was in Lindsay's hospital room before he even got close to her to kill her. And does anyone know what he was writing on the window? His actions make me think that he shot at the congressman, for personal reasons and that it was his first time shooting a gun.

*Oooooook! A bit of a surprise that the gun that was used to kill/ attempt to kill Congressman Hamilton was registered to him. Was the shooter his son? And was the shooting done as a publicity stunt?

* at Hamilton saying his gun was stolen. Yeah, right.

* I'm a dork for saying this but I wanted to hug and high five Adam, for thinking it might be a publicity stunt (even though he worded it differently).

* *glares at Hawkes for ruining my theory*

* Awwwww's at Danny's, Hey Montana.

* *hugs Mac tightly again after the scene with Kevin*

* So loved the scene with Lonnie hugging Flack for trying to save his friend.

And that is it. Only question I am left with is, who will Mac tell about his condition? I have a feeling it will be a surprise/ someone we didn't expect.

boom-moo

[8]Oct 26, 2012
    tonyandzivafan wrote:
    I've always wondered if scenes like Flack trying to stop the bleeding of the little girl or any 'tense' moments like that get to them more if they have kids. Or are they able to separate their work from their personal/ home life.
    I guess it does, I bet that the thought of anyliking like that happening to their kids must cross their mind. However, watching it on screen and filming it is an entirely different thing. I think that they are very careful around children who play victims, particularly in gruesome scenarios with lots of blood and whatnot so as I see it, I can imagine TPTB having some giggles with the child actress while they put the fake blood on her etc to somehow lift the gloomy feeling. Every moment when the cameras are not rolling is surely spent in a fashion so that the kids are emotionally protected from the fiction they are playing, which also affects every other actor involved in the scene. I actually think that the adult actors are who help the most removing the gore stuff out fo the kids minds while getting ready to film. That's why I think that there are other type of scenes that get to them more, some to which they can relate like Jo saying that being a parent is the toughest job.

tonyandzivafan wrote:
    IAnd does anyone know what he was writing on the window?
    "I'm sorry", I figured it out as he was writing it. I love it that it was Lucy's drawing which, in a way, saved Lindsay's life.