CSI: NY Forums

CBS (ended 2013)

Episode 9x15 'Seth and Apep' discussion thread

boom-moo

[1]Feb 6, 2013
    • level: 75
    Please post your opinions/comments/discussion topics on episode 9x15 "Seth and Apep" here.

-Spoilers are not allowed.
    -Bashing ships/characters is not allowed.
    -Discussion is welcome, arguing is not.
    -Trolls won't be fed, I love my cookies.
    -Be respecful, keep it cool.

Thank you

This episode is part 2 of a CSI / CSI:NY crossover. Here's a summary of the CSI episode where the storyline has its start, 13x13 In Vino Veritas, but just of the part that has to do with NY:

Mac walks into the Vegas crime lab looking for D.B. Russell. They met at a forensics convention years ago. Mac has asked him a favour: to get him some Celine Dion tickets. They are a surprise for Christine as the whole Mac trip is. She has flown to Vegas for a Restaurateurs convention. With her busy bistro and Mac’s job it’s been hard for them to find time together so Mac has decided to surprise her showing up unexpectedly in Vegas. However, he hasn’t planned it very well (so unlike Mac though) and since he believes that she must be at the convention yet, he decided to hang out with D.B.Russell before catching her in her hotel later for dinner.

Mac and D.B. Russell are heading towards Christine’s room. D.B. Russell has made a reservation for the three of them at a nice place. Mac hasn’t been able to reach her on her phone, she isn’t replying to his messages either so he believes that her phone must be dead. He knocks at the door but she doesn’t answer even though the convention is over and the desk has said that she checked in. D.B. Russell notices blood in the handle. Mac breaks in, the room is a mess, there’s blood around, Christine is nowhere to be seen. Mac freaks out. D.B. Russell calls his team.

Mac keeps calling her, he is obviously uncomfortable with inactivity and not very patiently waiting as the room is being processed. There’s blood in the floor and a male shirt under the bed, also stained with blood but just on the outside, a transfer. They fear that the blood might be Christine’s. D.B. Russell calls NY to get a sample of her DNA from her place. Nick finds a diamond mixed in with broken glass in the room. The serial number on it can lead them to its owner. The get a jewellery shop address, but it has been robbed and the owner lies dead on the floor, shot twice. Christine’s phone is found in a second pool of blood (she has a cute wallpaper of her and Mac together).

Back at the lab, Nick tells D.B. Russell and Mac that the jewellery shop owner was investigated 3 years ago for money laundering but that they couldn’t gather enough evidence. The crime scene at the jewellery shop suggests a robbery gone bad. The blood from the pool where Christine’s phone was found matches that found in the hotel room and in the shirt. Mac fears it’s Christine’s but they haven’t received the sample from NY to compare them. Nick has lifted a print from the jewellery shop safe and it belongs to a James Boyd from Queen. Mac knows him, he manages Christine’s bistro. Last Mac heard Christine was gonna fire him because he was trouble: he had gambling debts and hung out with the wrong people. Nick asks if they could have come together to Vegas. Mac says that she wants nothing with him. Nick asks Mac if he is sure of that. Mac resents the question but doesn’t take offense.

Nick explains that after checking Christine’s phone, she has been exchanging messages with both Boyd and the jewellery shop owner about opening a new restaurant in Vegas in wich the jewellery shop owner was going to invest. Mac hasn’t heard a word about it and doesn’t find it likely as she has her hands full with the bistro in NY. According to the texts, Christine is the one who has set up the meeting. Plus her messages are pretty flirtatious. Mac says that then it’s not her. D.B. Russell decides to take a different approach and concentrates in the blood trail at the jewellery shop. It leads to the the back door and the parking lot but there wasn’t any car there. He orders to start looking for the car.

Mac is going through Christine’s cell phone. Her messages say how she is looking forward to meeting the jewellery shop man and his diamonds, how she’s bought a new dress for the occasion and a sexy one at that. The jewellery shop man replies that he is looking forward to seeing it. D.B. Russell interrupts him, there’s nothing on the car yet. Mac can’t wrap his head around the idea that Christine was keeping secrets from him. D.B. Russell suggests that maybe she wanted to surprise him with the opening of the new restaurant in Vegas. Mac says there’s something they are missing, he feels that something isn’t fitting as Christine wouldn’t associate with such people. D.B. Russell asks Mac how well he does know her. Mac replies that he knows her well, that he knows the kind of woman she is. He tells D.B. Russell how Christine was at the hospital every single day for 6 months after Mac got shot and how she was praying for him when he woke up (that scene is actually shown), then Mac’s voice breaks. D.B. Russell gets a text saying that the car has been found.

The passenger’s seat is heavily blood stained and a blond woman is found inside the trunk. Much to Mac’s relief, it is not Christine. He is identified as Kim from Queens and has drug priors. Mac immediately makes the connection: both Boyd and Kim are from Queens. Her time of death is consistent with the jewellery store robbery, so probably it was her blood there. She most likely stepped into the store with Boyd, diamonds were stolen, she got shot. The car has a paint transfer indicating that Boyd switched cars. Based on the paint, they can identify the car and Boyd is arrested alone in the desert about to cross to Utah.

D.B. Russell and Mac both step into the interrogation room. Jimmy Boyd knows Mac but also knows that his badge is of no use there. Boyd says that if he doesn’t go back to NY then Christine dies. Mac loses his patience and yells at him asking where Christine is. Boyd says that she is in NY, that she never came to Vegas. Since he owes a lot of money he used her to try and make some. Some month ago a jeweller stepped into Christine’s restaurant and wanted Boyd to introduce him to the owner because he wanted to open one like that in Vegas. Jimmy knew that Christine was going to the Restaurateurs convention so he used that to his advantage. Boyd’s gf, Kim, looks a lot like Christine so he set up a meeting with the jewellery guy. He got Christine’s phone, her plane ticket and her hotel reservation and had Kim impersonate Christine. His plan was to rob some diamonds and fly back to NY to pay his debt.

All the while Jimmy has left Christine with his brother. Mac loses his temper. Grabs Boyd and orders Boyd to call his brother and tell him that it is all over. Boyd says he can’t because the man he owes money to has grown nervous and grabbed them (Christine and Boyd’s brother) up. He doesn’t know where they are. If he doesn’t’ bring the diamonds back to NY tomorrow night they are dead.

Mac wants to take Boyd and the diamonds back to NY to get Christine back, skipping all formalities. D.B. Russell says that he can’t do that. Mac is desperate because time is running out. He loves Christine, she saved his life. D.B. Russell says he will help him, he is coming with Mac.

Edited on 02/08/2013 3:55am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

danharr

[2]Feb 10, 2013
    • level: 45

Good conclusion this crossover was infinitely better than the first real good job.

boom-moo

[3]Feb 10, 2013
    I'm glad that Christine wasn't kidnapped because she is Mac's gf and that the writers found a different story around it

However, I find the timing a bit fishy. It stands to reason that Mac and Christine talk every day (or every other day) and I think that they surely would have talked the day before she was going on the trip. That makes me wonder for how long was Boyd in possession of Christine's hotel reservation, plane ticket and cell phone. He must have stolen them from her (and hence kidnapped her) the day before her flight so all the flirty texts to arrange the meeting with the jewellery shop guy must have been sent the same day or at most during a 2 day span. Isn't that a bit rushed?

Anyway, I wonder if the whole Mac being very close to lose Christine is gonna be used as a writing device come the end of the season and have Mac reconsider enjoying more free time, etc. Some sort of a happy feeling involving his character in case the show isn't renewed.

jordinajamaica

[4]Feb 10, 2013
    • level: 42
    I agree with the rushed thingie and that at least for once, the kidnapping had nothing to do with who she was dating.... More than Mac thinking he wants to enjoy more time with Christine I feel more like a proposal is coming up... He's a very formal man....

The chapter was good, not my favorite of this season but it was one of the best crossovers

Just 2 chapters left!!

boom-moo

[5]Feb 11, 2013
    jordinajamaica wrote:
    More than Mac thinking he wants to enjoy more time with Christine I feel more like a proposal is coming up... He's a very formal man...
    True, the more free time thing has been done already. I thought a wedding was a bit too cheesy but I'm all up for a proposal. Lucky Christine!