CSI: NY Forums

CBS (ended 2013)

General Q&A thread

sugah66

[1]Sep 22, 2006
    • level: 12

Hey, guys! I created this thread because I've been noticing that we get a lot of people posting new topics to ask questions, so I figured we could just have all the questions asked in here.

If you have a question, any question - about the show, about the actors, about TV.com, about anything - ask it here, and we will help you.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Answers to Frequently Asked Questions:

...because I'm sick of answering them all the time.

1. How do I increase my level?

TV.com is all about contribution. If you want to increase your level, you need to contribute to the site. This includes posting in the forums, posting blogs, reviewing shows/episodes/people, and submitting quotes/trivia/recaps. Every time you make a post, a review, or a submission, you get points toward your level.

2. How do I post a picture?

You must be a level three to put pictures in both your signature and a post. Once you are a level three, find the URL of the picture you want to post (the URL is the web address, which you can find by right-clicking the picture and going to "properties"), and enclose it with the image tags. Like so:

[img] http://sampleurl.com [/img] - just don't put the spaces in there

If you want to post one of your own pictures, I recommend getting a photobucket account. Once you upload the picture, they will give you the URL, the tag, and the image codes. Then you can just copy and paste.

FYI: You must also be a level 3 to post active (clickable) links. Until you are a level three, it just posts the URL.

3. Where can I find screen caps?

CSI Caps is an excellent source for screen caps. The site operators are usually very good about updating the albums with new caps as soon as possible - often by the next day. Also, some of our members make caps and post the links to the .zip files in the appropriate episode thread.

4. What's the deal with Innertube?

Innertube is a CBS-owned website that shows episodes online in full. You must be in the US to view the episodes. Sorry about that. However, the promos for upcoming episodes can be viewed by anyone. They are also available at CBS's official CSI: NY site, which you can visit here. The online promos often differ from the ones that air after the episode on TV.

5. How big can signatures be?

Your signature, according to this site's TOS, can be no bigger than 200x550 px (if it is a picture). That is 200 pixels high and 550 pixels wide. Anything larger than that will be deleted by the site's moderators. If your signature is just text, it can be no longer than 12 lines.

6. How do I change my user icon?

Up by your username in the corner, click "prefs". On the page that automatically pops up, go down to "current icon" and click the list arrow where it says "select icon set". Go to town! Remember to save your changes when you're done!

As of January 12, 2007, you can also use your own icons! Just enter the URL of the icon you wish to use in the box provided. You can still select from the tv.com stock icons if you wish. Icons that you use from your own collection must be no larger than 80x80 px. And if you upload your own icon, rather than using the link, it can be no bigger than 19kb.

7. What the heck does "canon" mean?

When something in a show is "canon", it is fact. It can be backed up with evidence from the show. For example, Mac being a Marine is canon. He has talked about his experiences in the Corps, he has his medals in his office, and he wears a Marine Corps pin.

8. Where can I find a particular song from a particular episode?

Check out the CSI: NY section on Tunefind. Or ask Blu.

9. What is considered a "spoiler"? And where can I post spoilers?

These aren't considered spoilers:

1) CBS Video promos from the website
    2) TVGuide Episode Sypnoses.
    3) Episode sypnopses from tv.com and imdb.com
    4) Cast lists from imdb.com
    5) EDITED episode sypnopses from thefutoncritic.com.

These are spoilers:

1) Promotional stills and pictures from the episode (ask before you post these - some people don't consider them spoilers)
    2) Sides, scripts, plot giveaways
    3) Basically anything that's NOT in what is mentioned above.

For example - if CBS decides on a Monday that they want to post all sorts of pictures about Wednesday's episode, that's okay - it's CBS releasing it for the public, not someone getting their hands on something that CBS doesn't want the public to know.

You can post links to things, so long as you mention that there are spoilers in the link. Promo stills should not be posted until the day of the episode. If you want to post the pic, post a link to it.

Remember that if the word "spoilers" is not in the thread title, you need to give warning when you post them. This can be done by putting WARNING: SPOILERS and then several lines between the warning and the spoilers, then putting END SPOILERS. Or, you can white the spoilers out, so that you have to highlight to read it. There is also an HTML way to do it, but I don't know what it is. That way, if you don't want to know, you don't have to read it.

This is a tv.com rule.

Also, once an episode has aired in the US and Canada, it is no longer considered a spoiler.

There is a general spoiler thread, which can be found here. Any and all spoilers can go in that thread. Also, in the correct episode discussion threads. Some threads, like the M&Ms thread, do not allow spoilers posted at all.

10. What is the M&Ms Club, and how can I join?

The We Love M&Ms Club is a series of threads where anyone who ships Danny/Lindsay can post their thoughts on the couple. While it looks like there are a number of clubs, it is really the same club starting multiple threads.

To join, just post in one of the threads, and we'll add you to the members list. I'd recommend at least attempting to read through as many posts as possible before you do.

Please don't start any additional D/L threads. The M&Ms thread is the official D/L thread for this site. When new threads are started, we have Laura lock them. They're unnecessary.

11. What is a "ship"?

"Ship" is short for "relationship". This is two people on a television show whom you want to end up together. If you are a fan of that couple, you ship that couple.

12. What is a beta? How can I get one?

If you write fan fiction, a "beta" is the person to whom you send your story before you post it. Betas are responsible for proofreading (checking for grammatical/spelling errors). They also give you advice on what does or doesn't work in a fic. They may tell you how to flesh out an idea better, or that a certain section can be cut. Ultimately, the decision to do that is yours, but you should always take the advice of your beta into consideration. It never hurts to have a second opinion.

Here at tv.com, we have a fan fiction thread. If you are writing a fic, and you would like someone to beta it for you, ask in that thread. I'm sure there are a number of people more than willing to give it a read.

In the fan fiction thread, please post LINKS ONLY. Posting your actual fic in that thread will become very confusing, and isn't fair to the rest of us, as our updates may be lost in your reviews. You can always post your fic on your blog and link back to that, and most of us have account at ff.net.

13. What is TPTB?

TPTB stands for The Powers That Be. This includes all writers, producers, directors... Basically anyone involved with decision making for the show.

14. What is the theme song for CSI: NY?

The theme song for NY is "Baba O'Riley" performed by The Who. Anthony Zuiker is a major Who fan, and so all of the CSIs use Who songs as their themes. It is sometimes mistakenly referred to as "Teenage Wasteland" or just "Wasteland".

15. What does "squee" mean?

A "squee" is a squeal or a squeak. Basically, it is the noise you make when you are super excited about something. Shippers squee a lot.

16. What was Mac's rank when he was a Marine?

The only time we receive any information on this is in episode 224, Charge of this Post. And it's contradicted. At one point, he is referred to as a lieutenant. At another point, a sergeant. So we have absolutely no idea.

17. What is the deal with Danny's dog tags?

Carmine incorporated the dog tags into Danny's character. They belong to a member of his family. No explanation is given as to why Danny wears them. Quite simply, Danny wears them because Carmine does.

18. How did Mac and Peyton meet?

Peyton mentions in 307, Murder Sings the Blues, that she used to work with Hawkes. She worked for the ME's office for some time, several years ago (before the show technically started), but then accepted a teaching position at Columbia University. Since she worked for the ME's office, she would have known Mac prior to S3. Presumably, she and Mac reconnected between the S2 finale and the S3 premiere, which is when she obviously transferred back to the ME's office. They were already dating at the start of S3. Obviously.

19. What is the correct spelling of Anna Belknap's character's name?

The correct spelling is L-I-N-D-S-A-Y, with an A, M-O-N-R-O-E. There are many ways to spell it, but that is how her name is spelled. Please spell it correctly. It is a major pet peeve of a lot of members on this site.

20. How do I find out if there's a thread for a specific topic?

Ordinarily, I would say to use the search function, but that encompasses the entire site, and it would take you a long time to wade through the results. So, just ask. Quite a few of us have been around a long time and will be able to tell you if there is already a thread about that topic. Please don't start a new thread about something unless you know there isn't already one. It is extremely annoying.

21. How do I change my font?

If you are a level 3 or above, you should have a toolbar that allows you to change your font and color, in addition to doing a variety of other things. If you are not a level 3, you will need to know the HTML codes. For color, it is < font color="#ffffff" > < / font > (without the spaces). Be sure to enter the correct number, though. FFFFF is white. You should be able to find these by Googling.

22. How do I get a banner on my profile?

The same way you get an icon. Go to prefs and enter in the URL for the image you wish to use. Banners can be no bigger than 760x140 px. If you are uploading your own from your computer, it can be no larger than 48kb.

23. When is a thread considered 'dead'?

A dead thread is one that hasn't been posted in for more than 2 months. It varies forum to forum, but generally if a thread hasn't been posted in for that long, it's considered dead. If you have to go several pages back to find a topic, it's probably because we're done discussing it. While bumping dead threads is preferable to opening a new one with the same concept, it is still extremely annoying, because it pushes active threads (threads where discussion is current) down in the forum.

24. Did Lindsay have a baby?

No. Lindsay did not have a baby. Anna Belknap, the actress who plays Lindsay, gave birth to a daughter on January 14, 2007. Instead of writing the pregnancy into the show, they wrote Lindsay out for a few episodes, sending her to Montana to deal with her past. But LINDSAY, the character, was never pregnant.

25. Why did I suddenly go back to level 1?

It's a glitch. It fixes itself automatically. It just takes a while.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask. You may also PM me, or Laura (the show's editor). I'm sure she'll love that I told you to do that.

However, please don't ask questions that will generate a huge discussion. For example, don't ask for people's views on something political. This is not a discussion thread. It is a resource to help people understand the show and the site better.

If a question is getting a lot of discussion, please move it to the Talk It Up thread, which is for general show and non-show discussion.

Edited on 06/17/2007 11:48am
    Edited 19 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Reagan07

[2]Sep 22, 2006
    • level: 9
    what is the episode of csi: ny where danny seems to carry lindsey

sugah66

[3]Sep 23, 2006

Reagan07 wrote:
    what is the episode of csi: ny where danny seems to carry lindsey

2x16: Cool Hunter.

Here you go: a banner from that ep.

EDIT: That episode is, coincidentally, where we got the inspiration for the title of the third M&Ms Club thread.

Edited on 10/01/2006 11:38pm
    Edited 2 total times.

sugah66

[4]Sep 25, 2006

I've got a question for you guys.

Why is tv.com so stupid? Discuss.

sugah66

[5]Oct 2, 2006

Question! I asked this in the M&Ms thread but I think it got buried. That's the problem with asking questions in that thread. I'm usually the one that answers them.

Danny wears dog tags under his shirt, but they're usually under his shirt, and you can only see the chain.

Like so:

In episode 3x04 "Hung out to Dry", we can see Danny's dog tags.

Like so:

Can anyone think of other any episodes where we can see Danny's dog tags?

Caps courtesy Stolen Glances

charlicat83

[6]Oct 2, 2006
    • level: 5
    why does danny wear dog tags in the first place? just cause they make him look as uber-sexy as he really is? probably! go carmine!

sugah66

[7]Oct 2, 2006

charlicat83 wrote:
    why does danny wear dog tags in the first place? just cause they make him look as uber-sexy as he really is? probably! go carmine!

Actually, it's not Danny wearing the dog tags, it's Carmine. He brought those in himself and incorporated them into his character. We get no explanation of why Danny wears them.

candzOct

[8]Oct 3, 2006
    • level: 4
    Sugah, I just had to ask because you mentioned this on the M&Ms thread.  What are flamers and trolls?  Thanks=)

sugah66

[9]Oct 3, 2006

candzOct wrote:
    Sugah, I just had to ask because you mentioned this on the M&Ms thread.  What are flamers and trolls?  Thanks=)

Flamers are people who bash things. If they don't like a character, they bash him/her. If they don't like a couple, they bash them. They're very vocal about the things they don't like, and they're very mean about it.

Trolls are people who dredge up threads that have been dead (inactive) for months in order to start a fight.

candzOct

[10]Oct 4, 2006
    • level: 4
    Thanks, sugah=D

Cherish4

[11]Oct 4, 2006
    • level: 13
    okay,quick question that is not strictly related to an episode of CSI:NY or anything but I'd like to know anyway: Does anyone know if there's a CSI:NY calendar available for next year or a Carmine Giovinazzo one,either in UK Or US?

sugah66

[12]Oct 4, 2006

Cherish4 wrote:
    okay,quick question that is not strictly related to an episode of CSI:NY or anything but I'd like to know anyway: Does anyone know if there's a CSI:NY calendar available for next year or a Carmine Giovinazzo one,either in UK Or US?

The point of a general Q&A thread, Cherish, is that you can ask questions about anything. It doesn't matter what. Hell, you need help figuring out a math problem, ask it here.

To answer your questions, I did a search and found nothing. (But just for your reference, I checked Amazon and calendars.com.) Maybe one will be released later. *shrugs*

Edited on 10/04/2006 10:05am

Cherish4

[13]Oct 4, 2006
    • level: 13
    sugah66 wrote:

Cherish4 wrote:

The point of a general Q&A thread, Cherish, is that you can ask questions about anything. It doesn't matter what. Hell, you need help figuring out a math problem, ask it here.

To answer your questions, I did a search and found nothing. (But just for your reference, I checked Amazon and calendars.com.) Maybe one will be released later. *shrugs*

Thanks Sugah,I guess I'll just have to keep an eye out for one then. Oooh...help with math problems, that might come in handy...seriously,after I wrote my post I realised that you'd already mentioned we could ask anything here. Just put my slight lapse down to temporary madness!

CSI_Fiona

[14]Oct 5, 2006

Is it spelt Lindsay or Lindsey?

CSI_Fiona

[15]Oct 5, 2006

Is it spelt Lindsay or Lindsey?

Another question: Why did my question come up twice?

Edited on 10/05/2006 11:41am

sugah66

[16]Oct 5, 2006

Good question, Fiona, as a lot of people get this wrong.

According to the official CBS website, the character's name is Lindsay Monroe. With an "a".

CSI_Fiona

[17]Oct 5, 2006

I have an avvy I'd like to share on the D/L board, but I can't work out how to post it!

oh don't worry I've just read it on the top post. 

Edited on 10/05/2006 12:16pm

shadow_68

[18]Oct 6, 2006
    • level: 2

Where can I get D/L fanfic? I admit, I'm not the best at searching and finding things (heck, I can't even remember how I found this place). In fact, I pretty bad. However, I can but things on Ebay like crazy.

Thanks!

marialisa18

[19]Oct 6, 2006
    • level: 2
    Hi

Fanfic.net has hundreds of D/L fan fics; the link to the CSI NY stories is

http://www.fanfiction.net/l/1930/3/0/1/1/0/0/0/0/0/1/

Happy reading!

sugah66

[20]Oct 6, 2006
    ^^ Marialisa gave you the link to the general category, but a lot of us in the M&Ms club write fanfics ourselves and generally post the links to our individual stories.