CSI: NY Forums

CBS (ended 2013)

(possible Spoiles for Yahrzeit Episode 22)

gwenpiper24

[22]Apr 30, 2009
    • level: 31
    saleblanc wrote:

Okay I'm just at a loss for words at the moment but the one that keeps popping in my head.

EMMY

i completely agree. i'm in tears, this was so powerful and so well done.

although to be honest there's something i didn't like, it was Hawkes, i thought his speech after they arrested what's his name was forced and it didn't touch me at all.

i'm too emotional to form any good sentences so i'll stop.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

dylan-luver

[23]Apr 30, 2009
    • level: 10
    the thing about Hawkes made me cry about his uncle... and OMG!!!! we saw Mac cry i felt like being there with him... so upsetting.

overall good episode... we got to see more of Adam... which was a good thing, but we saw less of Stella... and im still amazed by the technology they have

jordinajamaica

[24]Apr 30, 2009
    • level: 42
    I've just ended watching it and I'm still crying! It was awesome!
    I've visited Matthausen, a concentration camp and all this Holocaust theme always reminds me of what I saw and listened when I was there. I can't even explain how it feels to be there... so this chapter reminded me of that visit. Really well acted for all the parts. Ed Asner is amazing. The end with Mac's father made me cry so much, as well as the testimonies of the victims of the Holocaust. Danny was a great friend for Hawkes and I loved that he wasn't that mad about the suspension since that meant that he had more time to spend with Lindsay, the new wife as he said... that made me squee!!
    Hawkes was great, it made me cry when he explained that his uncle had died but I think that the speech lecturing Danny was quite too much...
    Adam was great, funny always revealing too much info..
    And Flack had a REALLY hideous tie on!! And funny too...

I'm sure I forgot a lot about what I wanted to say, wehn I end up crying I'll be back to post more!

coolceruleanblu

[25]Apr 30, 2009
    • level: 26
    misys12: If this was a spoiler you may want to delete it. Just because something didn't air now, doesn't mean it won't so it's still a spoiler.
    Edited on 04/30/2009 6:03am

coolceruleanblu

[26]Apr 30, 2009
    gwenpiper24 wrote:

although to be honest there's something i didn't like, it was Hawkes, i thought his speech after they arrested what's his name was forced and it didn't touch me at all.

i'm too emotional to form any good sentences so i'll stop.
    really? my sis and I loved it and kept crying and we kept saying why is Hill such an amazing actor.

Also:
    My sis commented that when Sinise was up against Asner in the interrogation, it might have been the only time during the entire series in which he was acting up against someone of his caliber. I love Ed Asner.

4hilla4

[27]Apr 30, 2009
    • level: 4

this was a very emotinal episode for me because [i dont know if you know] i am from israel, and my grandparents were in the holocaust

i cried the whole episode through. it was amazing. when the woman prayed in the end i cpuld understand what she was saying and i prayed along with her

the german who pretended to being Jewish was very powerful, when he said we should of killed them all i started to cry, and now- writing this i have tears in my eyes.

just wanted to share how much this episode left its mark on me.

and i hope - that the holocaust will never happen again, to anyone

Lisaraph

[28]Apr 30, 2009
    • level: 14
    I thought this was a very powerful episode. And i disagree with those that say Hawkes's speech was forced. He grew up with family actively living with discrimination and has heard the stories. So his choice to take the high road is impressive, considering he is a black man. And for those who were wondering what the woman was saying at the end after she lit the candle, it was the Jewish prayer for the dead.

Ballettmaus

[29]Apr 30, 2009
    • level: 1

Well, I am probably the only one but I thought the writing was rather... not so well done... or to say it differently, it was overdone. The acting was superb but compared to episode 05x19 (the Native American one - I am so not good with titles) it was way too much. It was too much on the emotional side, there are enough movies about the Holocaust, thank you very much, I wanted to see a CSI episode not a documentary. Besides, I watched Schindler's List and that episode seemed like it wanted to create something like it without being able to because of the obvious circumstances.

Also, the first thing I don't get, why is that such a Mac centered episode? Because of his father having been in the army back than? Hello? It's Stella, Danny and Hawkes who are the ones with the foreign backgrounds... We saw Hawkes reaction but the other ones simply were left out in that episode - why? There was no reason for Adam to be such a big hit and Mac do all the investigation on his own. Where was the point in that? Why is only Mac affected and no one else and why did he have to be the center of attention? Logic please?

The other thing I don't get is why did Mac get so mad at Abraham/Klaus? I can see that what he did is upsetting but there are SO many out there, so many who actually were in the Hitler Army and not "just" in the Hitler Youth who are living abroad under false names nowadays and Mac should a) no that and b) he has no personal connection to the Holocaust other than his father having mentioned having been there. The Holocaust was cruel, I think it's still so unbelievable what happened there and movies like Schindler's List really get me moving each time I watch it.

But why in the world did Mac get so worked up about it? He wasn't half as mad at the Nazi guy. And in a way Abraham was simply another killer. I don't see any reason why what he did in the past should affect Mac in the way it did.

It's funny, I just discussed that issue on a figure skating message board very recently... I simply don't get why especially US people are so big on the Holocaust and always think they have to make such an emotional mess out of it when they have so much in their own history they should be a lot more considerate with. Like the Natives and the slaves they used to have... Germany is so unattractive in every way but when it comes to its past it's on the top of the list... Remember the Holocaust, yes, remember it in such a way like that episode, no. Because there are very few people who still have such an emotional connection with it Mac's reaction would have been appropriate for and he certainly was not one of them.

I know there'll be a lot of people disagreeing with me but I don't care. You could have dealt with that issue in a normal CSI kind of way and it would have been just as good. Probably even better. Why do that, I don't know and I doubt it'll ever make any sense.

coolceruleanblu

[30]Apr 30, 2009
    Sorry, but I think it was offensive how you called it a documentary. Was that what it was? Because they were investigating a murder. It didn't seem like a Schindler's List recreation at all. Also it's done that way in every country. No country wants to be remembered for the BAD things they did, they want to remember the good things they did, like how the US entered the war and helped save it. No one likes remembering what they should be regretting.

Lisaraph

[31]Apr 30, 2009
    • level: 14
    You know, being a half-German married to a Jew and living in America, I didn't want to even dignify those comments, but I feel I must respond. See, EVERY country on earth has done something they are not proud of. ALL of them. Do not even get me STARTED on Germany's sordid history. And I DO know it. My family fled King Wilhelm II, so I know a few things about crazy Germans. Spain had the Inquisition, Italy had their oppressive empire (as did the Germans, the Turks and the Huns). Australia subjugaed tghe native peoples. And America, well, we all know their history with the Native Americans and the slavery issue. Now, if you REALLY want to debate history with me, bring it on. I am a bit of a history buff, and I am married to a man who has studied EVERY major religion around the world, so I look forward to the fight. And considering we just had Holocaust Remebrance Day in this country, I think the timing was good. You KNEW it was about the Holocaust and Nazis when you tuned in, it was no secret. Even the title implied it has something to do with Jews (Yahrzeit is the name of those Jewish memorial candles). So, if you want to criticize the episode, that's fine. But DO NOT turn it into a political discussion by deliberately trying to offend Americans. We are tough, we can take it. I am proud of all of my heritage. I love being half-German, even if I HATE the fact that they perpetrated one of the greatest crimes in history by blindly following the words of a short, arrogant AUSTRIAN who promised them their empire back.

saleblanc

[32]Apr 30, 2009
    • level: 32
    EXCELLENTLY stated Lisa!!!! Here Here....

boom-moo

[34]Apr 30, 2009
    • level: 75
    Please everyone. Remember that discussing is fine, actually much encouraged. But being offensive and/or fighting is not. Thank you

lilmzhappy

[35]Apr 30, 2009
    • level: 5
    sniff need kleenex sniff omg im still cryin i finished watchin the episode 10 mins ago. Iwant 2 giv Hawkes and Mac the biggest hug

dylan-luver

[36]Apr 30, 2009
    lilmzhappy wrote:
    sniff need kleenex sniff omg im still cryin i finished watchin the episode 10 mins ago. Iwant 2 giv Hawkes and Mac the biggest hug

ill be glad to join that hug... that really sux for them

Mynerva24

[38]May 1, 2009
    The case was unpredictable, and the way the team works together (Danny with the phone records, Adam with the murder weapon, and Stella with seeing the whole missing puzzle) was absolutely brilliant. What impressed me most, however, was how the characters deal with the whole issue. I'll start with Doc's standing on racism. His total admiration to his remarkable uncle determine his positive reaction towards those who look at him as less than human, simply because his skin color is black. He even was able to make Danny looking at the case with better glasses. Then, of course the holocaust. All people in their right mind will look at the time of holocaust as the darkest and most horrible time in human history so far, and we are certainly hoping nothing as horrible or even worse than that will ever happen again. This episode brought the memory again, and it teaches us a lot, again. As someone says "Those who failed to learn from the past, are bound to repeat it". This episode could very well be seen as a way to ensure that the repetition of that history won't happen. And for that, i give a standing ovation for TPTB. How Mac reacts towards everything, represent the kind of attitude we all should have towards such event. In addition to that, it was a great thing to see Mac showing that deep of emotion. When he listen to the records of one of the holocaust survivals that was helped by his father, i cried. When he gave Hannah Ester's jewelry, i cried all the harder (and note that i don't cry often). To have a father like that, no wonder that we have our Mac as he is. Bottom line: Excellent!

TylerA46

[39]May 1, 2009
    • level: 11
    Maybe some of you shouldn't pretend, that there is no holocaust going on now.

coolceruleanblu

[40]May 1, 2009
    the term holocaust is derived from the words whole and burnt, in reference to the gas and burning chambers that the camps had. And so no, there is no Holocaust going on now, as it is a direct term for what happened in WW2.