CSI: NY Forums

CBS (ended 2013)

The Continuity Fairy

sugah66

[1]May 3, 2007
    • level: 12

I am big on continuity. Sometimes, NY comes through... Little tidbits referring to an earlier episode. Sometimes, NY drops the ball... Major mistakes.

A continuity error is not the same as a regular error. Continuity errors are mistakes from episode to episode, season to season, or even scene to scene. Regular errors are just when they get something wrong.

I nitpick. So sue me. But I'm sure a lot of other people notice stuff like this, so I thought I'd make a thread about it.

I told you I had a lot.

Continuity: In Blink (101), Aiden and Danny sift through the garbage on a barge trying to find evidence. In Outside Man, Aiden makes a comment about how they have enough practice digging through trash.

Continuity: In On the Job (121), Danny is involved in a shooting and may be responsible for the death of an undercover police officer. In What You See Is What You See (123), Aiden pressures Danny to go see the departmental shrink because he was involved in his own shooting.

Continuity: Danny mentions that he has a girlfriend in Dancing with the Fishes (205). We then learn said girlfriend's name in Jamalot (210).

Continuity: DJ Pratt is mentioned in five episodes - Summer in the City (201), Grand Murder at Central Station (202), Live or Let Die (218 ), Stealing Home (222), and Heroes (223). The ongoing storyline culminates in the death of Aiden in Heroes.

Continuity: In Zoo York (203), Lindsay - as the new girl - has to be the one to sift through tiger dung looking for pieces of the victim. In Bad Beat (208 ), she makes a comment about being the new girl while digging around in the dumpster, to which Mac responds, "Better than sifting through tiger dung."

Continuity: In Necrophilia Americana (217), everyone makes a joke about Lindsay eating bugs, a direct reference to Fare Game (215), where she and Danny ate a bug dinner.

Continuity: In Heroes (223), Danny tells everyone a story where Aiden tells him, "Keep dreaming, Messer. I think you're cute, but I am way out of your league." This happened at the end of Crimes and Misdemeanors (119).

Continuity: In Stealing Home (222), when Hawkes and Mac are at the married threesome's house, Mac asks Hawkes what he was expecting. One of the things Hawkes mentions is a robo-spanker. This is a reference to Hush (116), in which Danny and Aiden worked a case about human bondage, and one of the items confiscated was a robo-spanker.

Continuity: In Charge of this Post (224), we see that Mac has a scar on his chest from where he was hit by shrapnel in the bombing of the Marine barracks in Beirut in 1983. In People with Money (301), they remembered the scar.

Continuity: In People with Money (301), Lindsay demonstrates how dynamite got on the victim's tie by tying Mac's around his neck. Stella says, "I love it when she does this," a direct reference to Dancing with the Fishes (205), when Lindsay again does a demonstration - explaining what the unsual trace on the tram driver was.

Continuity: In Oedipus Hex (305), they talk about how Shane Casey is still on the run, a direct reference to the case in Hung out to Dry (304).

Continuity: Not only does Shane Casey make a reappearance in Raising Shane (311), but we also get references to his brother's case and Hawkes's involvement, which we learned in Hung out to Dry (304).

Continuity: In Sleight out of Hand (318 ), we learn that one of the victims' names was Sarah. In Stealing Home (222), the mermaid whose death so rattled Lindsay was named Sarah Butler.

Continuity: In Stealing Home (222), we learn that Lindsay is obsessed with finding out the "why" behind a crime. In Sleight out of Hand (318 ), we discover that the reason behind that is because her friends were killed for no reason.

Continuity: In Sleight out of Hand (318 ), during Lindsay's testimony, she reveals that she curled up in the corner of the bathroom and covered her ears. In Not What It Looks Like (302), Danny finds Lindsay curled up in a corner, covering her ears.

Continuity: We see in the flashbacks in Sleight out of Hand (318 ) that one of Lindsay's friends was lying on her stomach, her head turned to the side, in a pool of blood. Reminiscent of Oman Suicide's position in Oedipus Hex (305), which we can see also affected Lindsay greatly.

Discontinuity: In Creatures of the Night (104), the victim's bruise switches eyes.

Discontinuity: In A Man a Mile (102) and Outside Man (107), Mac says that Danny is coming up on his third year. In On the Job (121), Mac says that he hired Danny five years ago.

Discontinuity: In Tanglewood (113), it was shown that Sonny Sassone's birthdate was 12 April, 1979. In Run Silent, Run Deep (220), Danny said the murder happened 15 years ago in 1991. Doing the math, that makes Sonny 12-years old at that time.

Discontinuity: In episode 113 (Tanglewood), Mac and Stella find Paul Montenassi in Central Park. The ground is covered with snow. Danny and Aiden find Marta Santo's car down an embankment, off a highway, but there is no snow. Then when Mac and Stella go to Sonny's house, and there's snow again.

Discontinuity: In On the Job (121), Danny tells Mac that the undercover cop didn't ID himself. He swears it on his mother's grave. In Summer in the City (201) and Run Silent, Run Deep, Danny alludes to his mother being alive.

Discontinuity: In Summer in the City (201), Stella is moving her stuff into a new office. Whatever happened to that office?

Discontinuity: In Zoo York (203), Danny tells Lindsay to call Mac "sir". When she does, Mac tells her not to do that. In Manhattan Manhunt (207), she calls him "sir" again.

Discontinuity: In Bad Beat (208 ), during the scene where Hawkes is processing the area in the park, his gloves keep disappearing and reappearing.

Discontinuity: In Cool Hunter (216) Danny does an experiment where he grabs a dummy's shirt while wearing handball gloves. After he grabs the shirt, he tugs on it, smoothing it out, and there's no dirt on it. When he picks up a picture of the victim to compare it, there's dirt all over the shirt.

Discontinuity: In Super Men (219), Danny remarks about the heavy blood stain on the carpet padding, that indicates the presence of the cart. When he initially examines the padding, at the beginning of the episode, there is no such stain. The blood is uniform.

Discontinuity: In All Access (221), Stella tells Flack that Frankie had never been to her place before. In Jamalot (210), she's on the phone with someone I can only assume is Frankie, making plans to meet at her place.

Discontinuity: In Charge of this Post (224), the cut on Lindsay's forehead keeps fading and coming back.

Discontinuity: In Raising Shane (311), there is no mention of the snakebite Lindsay suffered in Sweet Sixteen (310). The bandage is even gone.

Discontinuity: In Sleight out of Hand (318 ), Danny leaves his apartment with nothing but his keys. When he shows up in the courtroom in Montana, he is wearing a different outfit. Also, in the same episode, he has shorter hair when he arrives home than when he left work.

Discontinuity: In Cold Reveal (322), we learn that Stella was in foster care. In Til Death Do We Part (115), she tells Connor Mulcahy that she grew up in an orphanage until she was 18.

Discontinuity: In American Dreamers (104), Stella mentions to Mac that she was working narcotics in 1994. In Cold Reveal, we find out that she didn't even graduate the police academy until 1997. 

Edited on 05/03/2007 6:48pm
    Edited 3 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Chanouel

[2]May 3, 2007
    • level: 19

Great job Sugah!!

I swore I was not going to come near this thread and I did. Now I'm not gonna be able to sleep, I need to re-watch all those episodes! Lol

-hanna-

[3]May 3, 2007
    Wow, well done Sugah! Are we allowed to add some to the list?

"Discontinuity: In Summer in the City (201), Stella is moving her stuff into a new office. Whatever happened to that office?"

I may be wrong, but aren't we shown the office in 'Open and Shut'? She argues with Lindsay in it, the Mac comes in and they talk about how she is being affected by the case?

kewlz

[4]May 4, 2007
    • level: 20
    OMG Sugah, you're very very detailed. I would never have picked up on all that. It makes me want to go watch CSI:NY all over again from Season 1. Thanks!!

xhosa9congo

[5]May 4, 2007
    • level: 4

-hanna- wrote:
    Wow, well done Sugah! Are we allowed to add some to the list? "Discontinuity: In Summer in the City (201), Stella is moving her stuff into a new office. Whatever happened to that office?" I may be wrong, but aren't we shown the office in 'Open and Shut'? She argues with Lindsay in it, the Mac comes in and they talk about how she is being affected by the case?

Wasn't she in that new office all be it not so new now it SOOH as well?

xhosa9congo

[6]May 4, 2007

Some great pick there Sugar esp like the continuity bits you have picked up. I love those little bits and it therefore winds me up when they get them wrong. My particular "worst" is the Danny going to Montana bit and his magical change of hair and clothes! Eugh! I suppose it can't be avoided sometimes though if they change the script after they have already shot some scenes and we know that with Anna being on maternity leave the shooting for these episodes must have been all over the place.

I am not sure about some of you discontinuity bits though. Like in Tanglewood, it seems totally plausible to me for it to be snowing in Central Park and on Staten Island but not snowing at the car crash site. Doesn't Danny or Aiden even say when they first arrive that it is "way out of the city" or something like that? I remember Danny looks really cute in a big winter coat and scarf (on the DVD commentary I think AZ makes reference to Danny being "Pimped" out or up or something) in that scene also so it is obviously still cold.

Honestly I ain't nit picking with ya (O.k. I am but only beacuse I love the fact some one else picks up on these little things like me), just enjoying the debate!

Are we going to keep the first post updated with new things like the spoilers one is?

xhosa9congo

[7]May 4, 2007
    Someone pointed this out on another site (wiki it think) Danny in the Miami crossover/pilot doesn't wear glasses or apparently need glasses but by the time we get to 1.01 ands there on in he is rarely without them.

jinjin16

[8]May 4, 2007
    • level: 2
    This film is great. I'm Polish and I really like it. Even in my country tv shows that film.

-renn-

[9]May 4, 2007
    • level: 18
    xhosa9congo wrote:
    Someone pointed this out on another site (wiki it think) Danny in the Miami crossover/pilot doesn't wear glasses or apparently need glasses but by the time we get to 1.01 ands there on in he is rarely without them.

And he wears a tie. A BIG one. But Mac doesn't. Mac in the pilot is without a tie and wearing a leather jacket - it's noted in the production notes here in TV.com Gary Sinise received some kind of complaint from viewers and changed his wardrobe for the series.
    *raises a shy hand* about Stella's new office, I was under the impression she did have an office... For instance, when she asks Frankie to help with the bust in Grand Murder at Central Station. That dialogue about moving always seemed to me like a somewhat lame explanation as to why the CSIs had dark soturn rooms that looked like a basement - or a dungeon - on S.1 and all of a sudden in S.2 they're in these airy glass-walled well-lighted rooms. *hides under the table*

ewkatal

[10]May 4, 2007
    • level: 8

Hey, jinjin! Two people from Poland on one board, woo, quite many, don't cha think?

And about the list of continuities and discontinuties I think it's great! Noticing all those details takes much attention and probably many watchings and writting it all down like this is just laborious, thanks even more, sugah!

sugah66

[11]May 4, 2007

I suppose I could keep the first post updated, although people would probably still submit the same things, like in the Q&A thread.

As far as the pilot episode, which is that first crossover with Miami, I'm not counting it as an episode. Details often change from a pilot episode to the first actual episode.

Re: Danny's glasses: Carmine actually wears glasses. He wore contacts in the pilot but supposedly asked if he could wear his glasses, so he could give his eyes a chance to breathe.

Re: Stella's office: I came up with some of that list months ago. I think we did see her office in 318. I just brought everything over, not bothering to remove things that may have been disproved.

Re: the move for the CSIs: They got so many complaints about the darkness of S1 that they wanted to brighten things up on S2. You can hear them mention this on the commentary, and AZ talks about it on the set tour on the S2 special features.

Edited on 05/04/2007 8:06am

Mystik225

[12]Jun 10, 2007
    • level: 6
    Reviving an old thread as I noticed a continuity error the other night. The exterior of Danny's apartment in SOOH is different than the one in Snow Day. They are showing two completely separate buildings.

I'd post screencaps but can't find any.

Loreleiadf

[13]Jun 10, 2007
    • level: 5
    Episode 201Summer in the City. Stella enters, sees that Price is cut open and tries to leave. Wears no jacket! Doc asks her to stay and gives her a pair of gloves. Next second she's wearing gloves and ajacket.

Loreleiadf

[14]Jun 10, 2007
    • level: 5
    Jacket on!

D-Danni

[15]Jun 11, 2007
    • level: 9
    Hey i love the list it was great!!! and your right about the pictures of stella, it annoys me when that happens, like in a pub and they retake a scene one minute there is a beer glass and then theres not

mickeyDs4

[16]Jun 12, 2007
    • level: 10
    xhosa9congo wrote:

-hanna- wrote:
    Wow, well done Sugah! Are we allowed to add some to the list? "Discontinuity: In Summer in the City (201), Stella is moving her stuff into a new office. Whatever happened to that office?" I may be wrong, but aren't we shown the office in 'Open and Shut'? She argues with Lindsay in it, the Mac comes in and they talk about how she is being affected by the case?

At the beginning of season two the lab had moved so it would stand to reason that Stella was moving stuff into her new office. At least that's what I picked up on from the dialogue.

sugah66

[17]Jun 12, 2007
    mickeyDs4 wrote:
    xhosa9congo wrote:

-hanna- wrote:

At the beginning of season two the lab had moved so it would stand to reason that Stella was moving stuff into her new office. At least that's what I picked up on from the dialogue.

Yes, we know that's why she was getting a new office. We were wondering why we never see the office again. But now we think we did in other episodes - Open and Shut and Sleight out of Hand.

Mystik - Pics to prove you right.

Danny's apartment building in 318:

And in 324:

Completely different buildings.

Edited on 06/12/2007 9:38pm

coolceruleanblu

[18]Jun 12, 2007
    • level: 26
    Didn't the inside look different too? Maybe he moved?

sugah66

[19]Jun 12, 2007

coolceruleanblu wrote:
    Didn't the inside look different too? Maybe he moved?

I don't remember where I said this, so I'll say it here, too.

I think, when they filmed 318, they didn't realize we'd be seeing Danny's apartment again (seriously - how often do we see anyone's apartments?), so they disassembled the set. Then, they had to rebuild it for 324, and since we were going to be seeing more of it, they made it larger. I bet the one in 318 was just that little bit we saw. Danny's table was probably right on the edge of a platform or something.

Ooh, remembered what I wanted to say, like, weeks ago.

Continuity: The dead FBI agent in Sweet Sixten (310) was killed by the guys who took over the lab in Snow Day (324).

D-Danni

[20]Jun 14, 2007
    • level: 9
    Interesting !!!! i love how you guys pick up all of this stuff