CSI: NY Forums

CBS (ended 2013)

We Support Jo Danville #1:

tonyandzivafan

[1]Oct 8, 2010
    • level: 41

This is a thread for those that support the newest addition to the CSI NY teamJo Danville (played by Sela Ward). If you have forgotten the rules of supporting threads please refresh your memory by checking out the 'Posting rules on pinned, supporting, shipping and other threads'. It's pinned on the first page.

The reason for not having a complete title to this thread is I want to give a chance for those that support her to share your ideas. We can then vote. I dont have an official deadline for suggestions to come in as of yet. To start out here are a few ideas I had:

We Support Jo Danville #1: We love the way you think.

We Support Jo Danville #1: We love the way your mind works.

And of course you can't have a new supporting thread without a member's list.

Member's List:

1. tonyandzivafan/ Stacy (founder)

2. Dewbak75

3. -renn-

4. lynna12000

5. GrandviewEagles/ Amy

Finally, when there is a decision for the title, I will try and come up with a nice banner.

PS~ Besides letting me know you want to be added to the list and any title thread suggestions... Share what you like/love about Jo? What you'd like to see for the newest member this season? And of course pictures of Jo.

Happy Posting!!!

Edited on 10/20/2010 3:54pm
    Edited 6 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

boom-moo

[2]Oct 9, 2010
    • level: 75
    Guess you mean the newest "addition", Stacy?

tonyandzivafan

[3]Oct 9, 2010
    boom-moo wrote:
    Guess you mean the newest "addition", Stacy?

I did. And I fixed it. This is why you dont start a new thread on little sleep and late at night.

Thanks for letting me know.

Dewbak75

[4]Oct 14, 2010
    • level: 18

I for one have become a big fan of Jo Danville. I was excited when I heard Sela Ward would be joining the cast, and she has not disappointed. I think she plays well off the other actors(although she hasn't had much to do with Anna Belknap yet), and they've created some fun character dynamics for Jo thus far. She brings out a touch of Mac's playful side like some other recurring women on the show have done. She definitely throws Adam off-balance, and there are few things funnier than AJ Buckley playing off-balance. And she seems to have made quite an impression on Flack from the get-go, the two of them are going to be a lot of fun to watch together. She's got some of Catherine's sass from the first few years of the Vegas show, combined with a little of Callie's southern charm.

I like that she brings a different approach to the evidence than the others, looking more at the psychology than they do. It adds a little variety to things, so that it's not all "oh look here's a tiny speck of something, what does the computer say about it?". And to anyone who's all upset because crime scene investigators shouldn't be dealing with psychology, please. If this franchise was worried about being accurate then the CSI's wouldn't be interrogating suspects, wouldn't be carrying guns, and their labs wouldn't be outfitted with autopsy holodecks in the middle of a huge economic recession.

But as long as we're ignoring reality, Jo's definitely going to be fun to watch in the interrogation room. Her penchant for mind games is right up my alley. The scene where she freaked the guy out about constantly swallowing was a hoot, and even better was the con she had Adam & Danny run on the guy with the lie detector. I always prefer watching the good guys outwit the bad guys rather than just browbeat them into submission.

I've heard pieces of what her family situation is supposed to be like, and what we can expect down the road about that, and I'm looking forward to seeing what happens. The revelation about why she left the FBI was interesting, and the fact that there's a US Senator who really doesn't like her doesn't seem like a one-off. I'm hoping at some point he'll show up to throw a monkey wrench into a case.

And it's a very small little detail, but I was quite please to see from her first appearance that Jo seems to be one of the few female cops on television that doesn't wear spike heels to work. It's such a minor thing, but for some reason I was quite pleased to see that.

tonyandzivafan

[5]Oct 17, 2010
    Wow. Thanks for the lovely post of what you think of Jo. I added you to the member list. If I was wrong in doing so, please let me know. I especially love the comparison to Cal and Catherine. And they are so dead on.

I too love her approach to things. And I don't think there is problem with her having this psychology based approach either. From her former job it's normal to do so. And she seems like she do well if CSI NY ever did a cross over with Criminal Minds. I can't believe I didn't notice Jo doesn't wear heels. I'm sooo used to seeing it, I guess it didn't register. And I've never understand why the women cops wear them. Unless they are short like Cal or Lindsay.

Don't forget to let me know if it's ok I added you to the list and if you have any suggestions for title thread names. And the same goes for everyone. Also if you'd like to have a nickname or real first name if you like to be added to the list (with screen name), please let me know and I will have it like mine is listed.

lynna12000

[6]Oct 18, 2010
    • level: 21
    I liked Stella, and would have loved it if Melina had decided to stay with the show. But, I'll respect her decision to leave. At least the PTB didn't kill off the character; nor did they simply keep the character and replace the actress. The writers respected Stella enough to give her a promotion, and let us know she is alive and well in New Orleans.

Jo is NOT Stella. And that is a good thing. I was prepared to hate her. I really was. She's growing on me. It helps that Jo is VERY different from Stella personality wise. Her sense of humour is slightly quirky, and she has a lot of self confidence. It's also refreshing that she is a woman 'of a certain age'. She has earned her experience and expertise. And it shows. That's not a bad thing. ?

GrandviewEagles

[7]Oct 18, 2010
    • level: 20
    I'm still on the fence. I can't decide if I absolutely love her or absolutely hate her. I think in some ways she's stepping over boundries. For example: sitting in Mac's desk chair. He never let anyone but Stella sit on that side of his desk or looking at the paperwork on Mac's desk. Those kind of things bother me. I also think she came on a little strong. I do however like what she does to Adam. So funny.

-renn-

[8]Oct 19, 2010
    In the first episode of this season I thought she felt off, actually everything was feeling very strange, as if the whole cast was trying to find their rhythm around each other again. I kept getting that feeling of "look, I'm going to tell a joke now", "Look, I'm going to make my funny face", "Wait, this is where I dazzle everyone with my wits". Not only from Jo, but from everyone. But things have progressed well, I think. Jo is not Stella (and Stella will always be missed) but she's filling rather well in the "strong woman who's not afraid of speaking her mind and has a few tricks up her sleeve" void Stella's leaving has left.

I say it's early. Let's give Jo a chance. Stacy, you can list me a supporting her too.

Oh, and I like the option "We Support Jo Danville #1: We love the way your mind works".

tonyandzivafan

[9]Oct 19, 2010
    Thanks Renn and everyone else for sharing how they feel about Jo. I only added Renn since she said it was ok. I'm going to PM the rest of you to ask and in the case of Dewbak to make sure its ok to add you/ have added you.

And I will remember come time to vote your choice Renn. I will wait until we have 1 or 2 more before voting offically starts. And then if you want you can change your mind.

I hope over time, other will come to like Jo. Or at least tolerate her better. I cant speak honestly for other but I wonder how much of those that hate or dont like her is b/c of that she is in a way Stell's replacement.

But I dont see that.

Thanks again to everyone posting. Dont forget anyone new or those already posted to let me know that you want to be added. And any ideas for the title thread. Get those creative minds I know we all have to come up with something.

Dewbak75

[10]Oct 25, 2010

Where did the new picture on the main show page come from? I gotta say, Sela/Jo in that black leather jacket is pretty hot

tonyandzivafan

[11]Oct 26, 2010

I think its either just promo shots for an episode or random. I'll post the question in question thread to find out if anyone knows for sure.

Barb (DL-Flack) posted this... http://www.tv.com/csi-ny/show/24125/viewer.html?flag=2&i=4&gri=24125&grti=101&tag=;viewer

And I saw the same pic on a tv topics (like tv guide that we get in our newspaper here).

And any new posters or current ones dont forget to let me know here or via PM thread title suggestions.

Edited on 10/31/2010 8:58pm

bmoshier

[12]Jan 3, 2012
    • level: 46

While watching the "To What End?" episode (dated 1/7/2011, season 7, episode 11 (hmmm, 7-11)), Jo mentions she doesn't own sneakers. I find this really strange. After all shouldn't anyone in the police or CSI department own at least one pair of sneakers for different purposes, such as:

1) Working out
    2) When training
    3) When getting into a dirty situation (e.g. going through trash, and other dirty situations)
    4) When out hiking or on a retreat
    5) Other stiutations

Later in the episode she even says she is a detective, which means she went through a police academy. I know for a fact one gets sneakers when attending the academy. Also officers and detectives are suppose to stay in shape and running, working out, etc is part of this effort and who doesn't wear sneakers when working out? The US military and other countries issues sneakers when you go through basic training, high school P.E. classes require sneakers (or in the UK plimsolls or the lower grades and trainers for the upper grades). Sneakers seem to be part of the American culture and way of life - especially when it comes to staying physically fit for jobs that require physical fitness.

Anyway, she says she doesn't own a pair, so she doesn't own a pair. I just have a difficult time understanding it (seeing her in high heels and working out or doing the annual physical fitness tests in Prada dress shoes).

Anyone out there not own any sneakers and still workout and stay health, trim, fit, strong, etc?

Just wondering . . .

boom-moo

[13]Jan 4, 2012
    I also really find really hard to believe that Jo doesn't own a pair of sneakers. As you point out, staying fit is part of the job description.

That said, I reckon that Jo's dressing choices are by far more appropriate than Stella's used to be. Jo wears comfortable clothes and boots, unlike Stella's cleavages and high heels.

tonyandzivafan

[14]Jan 4, 2012
    I dont believe she doesn't own a pair either. I think she said it to mean she typically doesnt wear them. I dont unless I am working out. Boots in the winter or when its too chilly to wear sandles. I personally wonder when I hear lines like that on nay show if there were additonal lines said that got caught during the scene or later on. Likely TPTB will forget this and we will see Jo suddenly wear sneakers multiple times.

While I cant think of something but for a thread title someone can think of something involing her foot wear choices or no sneaker bit.

And even though I dont know anyone who doesnt own sneakers and stays fit and trim there is one form of exercise that doesnt require sneakers. And that is taking dance. But I dont believe just that would keep you in that great of shape (cant say everyone who takes dance lessons or does professionally likely owns sneakers).

Let me know bmoshier, if you'd like me to add to the list of Jo supporters.

boom-moo

[15]Jan 5, 2012
    tonyandzivafan wrote:
    I think she said it to mean she typically doesnt wear them.
    Exactly, I understood it the same way She doesn't own them merely for fashion but as a need, so in the way she said it, they don't count as something she would otherwise buy for pleasure.