CBS (ended 2013)

Where are you?

suzpsycho

[161]Dec 7, 2006
    • level: 14

HunterJ8 wrote:
    suzpsycho wrote:
    HunterJ8 wrote:
    I didn't notice anyone else here from Georgia/South Carolina. Thats where I am... both. Ooh, aren't I impressive.
    How do you manage that? I was just in Newnan for Thanksgiving. Welcome fellow Southerner!
    University. At USC, but from GA. It just depends on when you catch me what state I am in. go southerners! yay! course, I have been told I am only a southerner by location, but whatever
    If you were born here, raised here, have relatives who were born or raised here: You are a Southerner!

G.R.I.T.S. Girls Raised In The South.

Carry yourself with pride chile!

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

coolceruleanblu

[162]Dec 7, 2006
    • level: 26
    i have to add that english isnt the only language with slang. There are other languages that have it too. And there are some languages with some words there are no direct english translations. I can tell you greek is like that for sure

suzpsycho

[163]Dec 7, 2006
    most languages and even local dialects have their own slang.  English is supposed to be the hardest language to learn after chinese.  Chinese is difficult to learn because of all the local dialects.  English is hard because so many of our words mean more than one thing, our adjectives come before the nouns they modify, and our slang.  Italian, French, Spanish, Portugese, and Romanian (who'd a thunk?) are easy to learn once you know one of them.  This is because they are all dirivatives of Latin.   For myself, I have a hard time understanding my children let alone another language!   I took 3 years of Spanish and 1 of French.  Spanish was much, much easier!

coolceruleanblu

[164]Dec 7, 2006
    • level: 26
    all those languages are easier to learn because they have similar roots. And I think after english the best language to learn is Greek mwahaha. That has a ton of dialects too. And its the root of everything. or so we say

manhattan00

[165]Dec 7, 2006
    • level: 16

HunterJ8 wrote:
    manhattan00 wrote:
    Help help help ! What does "slang" mean ?
    Local talk that isn't always approriate or clear. Also could include ideoms such as "take a seat" means sit down, not take anything as in grab it. oh well. its hard to explain. all i know is that i hate learning languages. i had to take three semesters of an language in college (and i took 3 years of latin in hs).... hated it. i can speak english. thats all i need. or else my head would explode.

Thanks ! As I learned English when I was at school, there're many words which I don't know yet.

suzpsycho

[166]Dec 8, 2006
    Calling all Brits!  Tornado? In London?  What are y'all the new "Tornado Alley"?  Is everyone and the kinfolk ok?  Let us know.  We worry.

HunterJ8

[167]Dec 8, 2006
    • level: 29
    suzpsycho wrote:
    Calling all Brits!  Tornado? In London?  What are y'all the new "Tornado Alley"?  Is everyone and the kinfolk ok?  Let us know.  We worry.

That really surprised me. I was talking to my friend and he was like, yeah, it was loud.
    He told me he would give me their tornado if I gave him my microwave.

suzpsycho

[168]Dec 8, 2006
    HunterJ8 wrote:
    suzpsycho wrote:
    That really surprised me. I was talking to my friend and he was like, yeah, it was loud. He told me he would give me their tornado if I gave him my microwave.
    I don't think I would take that offer. With the micro you have a place to keep it. Where would you keep the tornado? On a leash in the backyard?? and Who would have to clean up after it? You?

HunterJ8

[169]Dec 8, 2006
    suzpsycho wrote:

HunterJ8 wrote:
    suzpsycho wrote:
    HunterJ8 wrote:
    I didn't notice anyone else here from Georgia/South Carolina. Thats where I am... both. Ooh, aren't I impressive.
    How do you manage that? I was just in Newnan for Thanksgiving. Welcome fellow Southerner!
    University. At USC, but from GA. It just depends on when you catch me what state I am in. go southerners! yay! course, I have been told I am only a southerner by location, but whatever
    If you were born here, raised here, have relatives who were born or raised here: You are a Southerner!

G.R.I.T.S. Girls Raised In The South.

Carry yourself with pride chile!

Ah, yes. Technically. But I was born to Northern parents. I actually did have a Southern accent for the first few years of my life. But then I apparently lost it once I went to Pre School. Very odd.
    But, I was raised in Atlanta. Which really is kinda excluded from the south except in geography.

i_lv_chocolate

[170]Dec 8, 2006
    • level: 6

Hmmmm all my fellow brits!!!!Hope you are all ok!!!

From what I have heard,there have been a few injuries,but no one has died(thank god)!

That is what they are saying on sky news.I feel sorry for all the people whos houses have been damaged!!

HunterJ8

[171]Dec 8, 2006
    suzpsycho wrote:
    HunterJ8 wrote:
    suzpsycho wrote:
    That really surprised me. I was talking to my friend and he was like, yeah, it was loud. He told me he would give me their tornado if I gave him my microwave.
    I don't think I would take that offer. With the micro you have a place to keep it. Where would you keep the tornado? On a leash in the backyard?? and Who would have to clean up after it? You?

But I really want a tornado. I mean, I think it would look good in the ... um, living room? Parking lot? And besides, when I had a test I didn't study for, I could just let it run loose for a few minutes, and not have to worry about it.

suzpsycho

[172]Dec 8, 2006
    HunterJ8 wrote:
    suzpsycho wrote:
    HunterJ8 wrote:
    suzpsycho wrote:
    But I really want a tornado. I mean, I think it would look good in the ... um, living room? Parking lot? And besides, when I had a test I didn't study for, I could just let it run loose for a few minutes, and not have to worry about it.
    I know, I know. But you have to think responsibly. What would you do with it when you went on vacation? I don't think they have Tornado Kennels. What about when you have guests? They might not like sharing the room with a tornado. Though the 'out' on tests is a big, big plus.............Hmmmmmm.

HunterJ8

[173]Dec 8, 2006
    suzpsycho wrote:
    HunterJ8 wrote:
    suzpsycho wrote:
    HunterJ8 wrote:
    suzpsycho wrote:
    I know, I know. But you have to think responsibly. What would you do with it when you went on vacation? I don't think they have Tornado Kennels. What about when you have guests? They might not like sharing the room with a tornado. Though the 'out' on tests is a big, big plus.............Hmmmmmm.

That is true. I mean, I could take it with me to Minnesota (my next vacation), but I don't think that is allowed as carry on. I will have to check. And my mom is already pissed about having to take care of my dog. But, again, if I had it now, I could go tell it to play near the spanish building, and I wouldn't have to be ignoring the preterite quiz as I am now.

suzpsycho

[174]Dec 8, 2006
    HunterJ8 wrote:
    suzpsycho wrote:
    HunterJ8 wrote:
    suzpsycho wrote:
    HunterJ8 wrote:
    suzpsycho wrote:
    That is true. I mean, I could take it with me to Minnesota (my next vacation), but I don't think that is allowed as carry on. I will have to check. And my mom is already pissed about having to take care of my dog. But, again, if I had it now, I could go tell it to play near the spanish building, and I wouldn't have to be ignoring the preterite quiz as I am now.
    Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Think carefully and weight the options. Does it weigh over 15 lbs.? Can it fit under the seat or in the overhead luggage bays?

HunterJ8

[175]Dec 8, 2006
    suzpsycho wrote:
    HunterJ8 wrote:
    suzpsycho wrote:
    HunterJ8 wrote:
    suzpsycho wrote:
    HunterJ8 wrote:
    suzpsycho wrote:
    Calling all Brits! Tornado? In London? What are y'all the new "Tornado Alley"? Is everyone and the kinfolk ok? Let us know. We worry.
    Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Think carefully and weight the options. Does it weigh over 15 lbs.? Can it fit under the seat or in the overhead luggage bays?

how much exactly does a swirling mass of air weigh?
    although, you are right, it wouldn't fit into the overhead compartment or the seat in front of me. *sigh* i guess you are right, i will keep my microwave and leave the tornado in london.

suzpsycho

[176]Dec 8, 2006
    HunterJ8 wrote:
    suzpsycho wrote:
    HunterJ8 wrote:
    suzpsycho wrote:
    HunterJ8 wrote:
    suzpsycho wrote:
    HunterJ8 wrote:
    suzpsycho wrote:
    Calling all Brits! Tornado? In London? What are y'all the new "Tornado Alley"? Is everyone and the kinfolk ok? Let us know. We worry.
    how much exactly does a swirling mass of air weigh? although, you are right, it wouldn't fit into the overhead compartment or the seat in front of me. *sigh* i guess you are right, i will keep my microwave and leave the tornado in london.
    Good choice. Besides, the micro helps warm food up. Warm food is good food!

chels518

[177]Dec 8, 2006
    • level: 7

This is a lil late but im from Fresno, California! Is anyone from that area??

suzpsycho

[178]Dec 8, 2006
    Don't think so.  I think Arizona was the furthest west we were in the US.  Welcome, Chels.  We are slightly crazy but harmless on the whole!

seashell_girl

[179]Dec 8, 2006
    • level: 8
    OK, I'm late as always but here it goes............ I'm from Europe, Croatia

suzpsycho

[180]Dec 8, 2006
    seashell_girl wrote:
    OK, I'm late as always but here it goes............ I'm from Europe, Croatia
    That's where Kovach on ER is from. Right?