CSI: NY

Page Turner

Aired Friday 9:00 PM Oct 01, 2008 on CBS

• A riot breaks out at a Maroon 5 concert and a woman dies. Then it all goes nuclear from there, both in the case and in the writing.

I like CSI, I think it's a great show and I was excited when the spin-offs were made. When CSI: Miami turned out to be nothing like CSI and written by what I can only assume are the guys behind Disaster Movie, I was disappointed but hey CSI: NY is still pretty decent. Right?

The show opens with a riot at a Maroon 5 concert and it somehow manages to get worse from there. A riot at a Maroon 5 concert? I know they want to pick a popular band to boost ratings but what were they thinking? Nobody has ever or would ever riot/fight/mosh at a Maroon 5 concert. Even if you tried you would be hard pressed to find a less aggressive band then Maroon 5.

The show moves on to people dying of radiation poisoning, great that sounds interesting. A major character even gets critically infected, even cooler. However they then pull out the Star Trek holo-room and autopsy a body by projecting the inside of a woman's stomach in 3D around them... How did they even get a 3D colour scan of the inside of the woman's stomach let alone the holo-room to display it? This technology is so unbelievable that you can't help but laugh out loud at its stupidity. How are we supposed to take this show seriously, at all? I understand when they use cool technology or weapons that are currently in development or will be soon. That's partially believable near future technology, and its freaking cool. But this goes beyond the realms of believability and given the fact that this is a drama and it's supposed to be taken seriously, this by itself ruins the episode.

But of course that's not the end of episode. In their quest to find the fiend poisoning people with radiation they come across a guy who works in the location where all the victims were infected. A few things make him a possible suspect, for example he has radiation poisoning, and he's collecting radioactive material, taking anti-radiation drugs, oh and one more thing... He's building a nuclear reactor in his shed!

Now most of you might be thinking that's the unbelievable part but actually it's not. People do crazy things and in fact that's actually based on a true story... sort of. No, the unbelievable part is that he didn't poison the victims, not purposely or accidently. In fact he has no connection what so ever to the actual killer. There just happens to be two nut jobs with radioactive material hanging out in the New York Library.

Now that's one hell of a coincidence, and some of the worst writing I have ever seen. CSI: NY in one episode has lowered itself to and possibly below CSI: Miami's level of cr*p. In case you're wondering there is nothing below CSI: Miami…