CSI: NY

Sweet 16

Aired Friday 9:00 PM Nov 22, 2006 on CBS

• There was simply too much trying to happen in this episode to devote adequate time to any of the story lines.

7.6
    First off, a comment on the snakebite. They hyped this up for ages. Lindsay gets bit by a snake! What will happen? What happened is that they used the snakebite as an excuse to only have Lindsay in two scenes, and aside from Hawkes telling her he was glad to have her back, Danny asking how she was doing, and Stella telling that kid that his prank put one of her people in the ER, they barely mentioned it. Obviously just a ploy to cut Anna's screen time. Even if it had been a sweeps stunt, there would've been a scene in the hospital, or a scene where someone not on the case with her asked her if she was okay. Obviously, I would have preferred Danny, but Mac asking would have made sense. Or even Adam.

Next, what is up with Mac lately? He's started following his gut with absolutely no evidence to back it up, which is stuff he's called both Danny and Lindsay out for. You know what I'd like? I'd like for Mac to be wrong about someone, to misjudge someone so completely that it has disastrous consequences. If Danny or Lindsay or Hawkes had insisted that the kid was innocent, Mac would have told them they shouldn't follow their instincts. That they should rely on the evidence. But it's okay for him to do it? Flack gave a perfectly reasonable argument as to why it could have been the kid and not his stepfather, and Mac just ignored him.

Along those same lines, why must Flack always be wrong? He's a detective. I'm sure he also has good instincts. Have him be right about something for once. That would surprise me.

And of course we have the reappearance of Reed, because it ties in with the pigeon guy case. And it does make sense to bring him back in this episode, but with everything else that was going on, it was just too much.

Finally, I come to the motives behind these two murders. Ridiculous. That's the only way to describe them. A mother is jealous of her kids, so she kills her husband because he spoils them? Yeah, that makes sense. A man thinks his stepson owes him and isn't doing enough for him, so he kills the guy with whom his son was spending a lot of his time? Sure, why not. This is crazy world, aka New York.

TPTB, seriously. You can't come up with something slightly more creative and a lot less shallow than that?

I did at least appreciate the acting from Gary and Melina. When they were in interrogation with their respective suspects, you could see the disgust plainly written on their faces. Gary's jaw was even twitching as the dad from Dawson's Creek talked about how his stepson owed him.

And, of course, let's toss in a murdered FBI agent, which is hopefully a setup for next week's episode, and not a completely different story arc. It would be unwise to do that with the winter hiatus approaching.

All in all, the episode was okay. It wasn't one of my favorites, but it wasn't as bad as "Open and Shut." It's my hope that TPTB remember what made NY a great show and return to that.

I won't even comment on the significant lack of D/L because this review is so long as it is.