CSI: NY

The Ride-In

Aired Friday 9:00 PM Feb 21, 2007 on CBS

• An average episode with two equally irritating cases. The Noah's arc case was touching on the ridiculous and the smoking case was poor even without the preaching - we get it smoking companies are evil!

On the positive side I think the emotional handling of Stella's possible HIV infection has been done quite well, with her confessions to both Mac and Sid feeling true to her character. I liked how she expressed her own fear for her health by becoming overly worried by the possibility that she might have infected Sid. However, I am irritated by the shows poor portrayal of CPR. Stella didn't even stop to check if Sid was breathing or had a pulse before she started CPR and her CPR method would have been ridiculously ineffective in real life. Certainly, in the UK, the chest compressions:breathing ratio is 30:2, and the head must be tilted backward or all the air will be blown into the stomach.
    Innacurate portrayals like this lead to mistakes in real life, when people copy what they see on television! I also don't understand how she immediately knew Sid was in anaphylactic shock - did we already know he had a food allergy? Plus is someone has been in respiratory arrest I find it highly doubtful that he would be allowed to return to work later the same day!