CSI: NY

What Schemes May Come

Aired Friday 9:00 PM Apr 11, 2007 on CBS

• From subtle camera work to astonishing editing (thanks to creative scripting) this episode shows how this offshoot overachieves its originator and the other copy. *spoiler of necessity*

No doubt retirees and deco fans will rave about CSI:Miami, despite the pretentious Caruso, but New York City is so fabulously photogenic. Creatives in this episode abound, and continue to be dazzled by the aerial shots and close-ups with so much motion. Sidestreets, squares, towers as architectural and visual elements, combined with light and colour, smoke and mist, all BUILT, showing the human domination when we sometimes see the islands and water from above. Are we gods?

The episode raises three major issues: Mac's relationship with Peyton; assisted suicide; genetic research.

Seeing Mac run was very disturbing. He ran through floors of people, pushing them out of the way. He had only one goal: to be by the side of Peyton. This is new to his character. He cares deeply for her. She, in trying to deny that her medical acumen might be compromised by her injury, refuses care and comfort. Later, this is relieved when it is revealed that chemicals altered the supposed DB's response. She continues to bear the marks of her head injury through the episode, and we are left to wonder if this might affect her future judgement.

The three vics are linked by their hopeless prognosis: they will die (inoperable cancer, etc.). Given this, they have chosen to die in some spectacular way. Hmmm, I like this idea myself. And so they choose a way of going out, sometimes involving an innocent bystander or an active participant. A knight in shining armour!

The eugenics issue is way more complicated. I need to think about this more. I will edit this piece.

Immediate thoughts: an ear on the back of a rat. yuck
    Is this close to stem cell research?
    DO NOT turn this into a right to life thing. I will stop posting if you do.
CTRC