What Schemes May Come

Aired Friday 9:00 PM Apr 11, 2007 on CBS

• A lot of hype with little delivery.

Okay. So the episode wasn't totally boring, but I wasn't sitting on the edge of my seat, dying to know what was going to happen. I'd say this ep was on par with 317, definitely better than 306, and infinitely better than 313 - mostly because of Danny's WTF face, which I need to make an icon of as soon as caps are out.

*I was momentarily excited at the prospect of Lindsay and Hawkes working a case together. I don't think they ever have worked a case just them. In 305, Danny was with them. In 306, Stella. In 307, Mac. And those are the only cases (besides whole team ones), where they worked together. Hawkes and Danny work together a lot (or they did in S2), but Lindsay and Hawkes have never been alone on a case. I just think it would be interesting, is all. They need to mix it up with the pairings from time to time. When was the last time Lindsay and Mac worked a case just them?

*While we're on the subject, I have mixed feelings about Stella and Lindsay/Hawkes's cases being connected. On the one hand, there was a good missed opportunity to have some prime Lindsay/Hawkes bonding, since the only people we've seen Lindsay interact with since her return were Flack and Danny in 319. It would have been nice to have Hawkes (or even Stella), ask Lindsay how it feels to be back. Though judging by the LEAVES on the trees in Central Park, it's been a while, since most of the northeastern US is buried under SNOW, and has been for a while.

On the other hand, I hate when there are more than two cases in an episode. It splits up the team too much and means that there can't be that much time devoted to any of the cases, so inevitably one is going to suffer. So I like it when there's two - although I also like when the team members get to work solo (is LINDSAY ever going to get to work solo, by the way, TPTB?).

Like I said. Mixed feelings.

*So Peyton was attacked. Whoopty-do. They couldn't even SHOW it to us. They had to have it in flashback, which, I'm sorry, takes away the urgency of the whole thing. Why couldn't *that* have been the teaser? It would have been far more interesting than the teaser they gave us, although the homeless guy was funny. "Hey, man, this is my spot."

And I forgot that Peyton *got* attacked in this episode, so I was having a grand old time coming up with reasons why Mac was running through the lab. My favorite was that he really needed to pee.

*Oh, hi, Flack. I forgot you were a detective with the NYPD. Nice to see you again.

*I loved that Peyton got shirty with Mac when he was asking her how she didn't know their 'body' wasn't a body. "I know how to tell if a body is dead." Because, of course, Mac would never make that mistake. Mac can do no wrong. *gouges out eyes*

*Mmm..... Danny looked GOOD, didn't he? *fans self*

*mops up drool*

*The entire scene with Danny and Mac in the genetics lab had me cracking up. The look on Danny's face, as he just kept staring at the mouse with an ear on its back... It was hysterical! And he kept trying to get Quinn's attention, while Quinn is just chatting with Mac. Two Danny WTF faces in two episodes. Sweet.

*Why didn't Danny get beeped when they found the 'body'? It was HIS case! Mac got beeped, and it wasn't his case! And if it WAS his case, why wasn't he at the crime scene with Danny and Peyton?

*Adam has a graduate degree? What? I thought he was 12! I thought it was weird that we got that little tidbit about him when he wasn't even IN the episode. (Please don't make Adam another Greg. Please don't make Adam another Greg. Please don't make Adam another Greg...)

After looking up AJ Buckley on IMDb: Okay... So, he's apparently 29. My bad. Also, he's in a band with Ryan Gosling. Interesting.

*I loved the part when Lindsay told the legend of the flower she found in the chainmail. I thought that was cute, and actually, it was something I would imagine LabRat!Greg doing, back in the day. Also, I like legends like that (I have a book on Greek mythology - there are lots of those sorts of myths in there). Did anyone happen to catch the name of the flower?

*Hey, TPTB! What the hell are you doing to me? Having absolutely *no* D/L action? Are you trying to drive me nuts? I'm not going to lie. D/L action severely colors my opinion of the show. However, it's usually afterwards, after I've seen the whole ep and know that there's no D/L stuff, that I decide whether or not I liked it.

To clarify... I don't expect a lot. (I can think of quite a few people who wanted *more* out of 319. 319 was AWESOME! I don't know what people are talking about.) I just need one scene - one little moment of interaction between Danny and Lindsay every episode. It doesn't have to be long, it really doesn't. Just so long as they SEE each other. Just so long as, for one brief shining moment, they're actually on screen together. Considering that two episodes ago, they almost kissed, I just think it would be realistic that they - I don't know - said HI to each other. They pass each other in the hall on their way out of DNA, or something like that.

Remember S2? Something like that works. I'm fairly easy to please.

OOOH! You know what could have worked? Someone asking one or the other what was going on! That would have totally made the episode for me.

*On a similar note, in S2, there were quite a few episodes where people who weren't working the same case 'bumped into' each other. I like that. Because, you know, they *do* work in the same building. It seems only plausible that they would at least pass each other in the halls, or two people on separate cases would both be going to trace or A/V at the same time.

Let me point out a few examples:

a) Stella's first scene with Lindsay in 203 - "Let me give you a few tips..."
    b) Stella helping Danny with the print in 209 - "I'm waiting for it to talk to me." "Then you might want to buy it a drink first."
    c) Mac leaving autopsy just as Danny and Lindsay were arriving in 214 - "You're on the music promoter?" "Like glue."
    d) The whole 'phone sex' conversation in 218
    e) Mac checking on Lindsay after the mermaid case in 222

See, stuff like that just seems natural. Why don't they do that more often?

*I totally had the cases figured out right away. They need to start making those more... I don't know... Complicated? It's no fun when you *know* who did it. Not that I really watch for the cases, but still.

*Oh... Stella and her HIV. *gouges out eyes* Don't get me wrong, I'm not opposed to doing that sort of storyline. I just don't think they're handling it very well. Because, honestly, the way they're doing it seems very soap opera-ish. And trust me, I've seen enough soaps to know what makes something soap opera-ish. Now, take a look at Stella's ending line and tell me that it didn't make you want to throw something: "Whatever the outcome, I am bound and determined to live every day to the fullest."

Gag me with a chainsaw.

I was sitting there, as Stella was talking to Isabella, going, "Don't say anything. DON'T say anything." Because Stella DOESN'T know what it's like to be dying. She doesn't have her results back yet! Saying ANYTHING would have made her such a pretentious so-and-so, that I would have liked Isabella to slap her.

And while I understand that CBS is doing this to raise awareness about HIV/AIDS, which I think is admirable, I believe they're going about it the wrong way. Because, honestly, how many people are going to contract the disease the way Stella did? I don't know about *you*, but I'm always holding big bloody planes of glass high above my head, so that they can shatter and cut me. Isn't the number one cause of the spread of HIV unprotected sex? She could have accidentally pricked herself with a needle! That's plausible, in her line of work. But no... It's because of a big piece of glass.

Because why does it have to be Stella? Why couldn't someone ELSE get the meaty storyline? Yes, yes... Melina is one of the 'stars', but sometimes I feel that this isn't CSI: NY so much as the Mac & Stella Show, and it severely pisses me off! NY has some of the best actors of all the CSIs. Some of the best actors on TV. Why doesn't Eddie ever get the chance to shine? Why did they put Hill's big moment in the same scene as Carmine taking off his shirt, thereby ensuring that a good number of fangirls didn't pay one iota of attention?

Why, TPTB? Why?

And in conclusion, since it's taken me way longer to write this than I anticipated, I'd have to give this episode a 6. Maybe a 7. It just didn't grab me, and it didn't really hold my interest. I thought, after 319, that maybe NY was finally going to return to its heyday of S2, but sadly, I think they're slipping back into the blah episodes of 306-313.