Cupid Forums

ABC (ended 2009)

How similar will this be to the 1998 series?

spears5

[1]May 24, 2008
    • level: 19
    I'm just wondering-how exactly similar will this be to the 1998 series? Will have ocasional episodes that are exactly the same as others, or is this a pick up, like season two of the show? Questions, questions.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

spears5

[2]Jun 1, 2008
    spears5 wrote:
    I'm just wondering-how exactly similar will this be to the 1998 series? Will have ocasional episodes that are exactly the same as others, or is this a pick up, like season two of the show? Questions, questions.

No guesses?

pealee_83

[3]Jul 10, 2008
    I've never seen the original Cupid. So I can't say. But I can't wait to see Bobby Cannavale!

jenicecream

[4]Jul 24, 2008
    • level: 9
    I loved the original. I would think that the premise will be exactly the same but the vibe will be different. Jeremy Piven and Bobby Cannavale don't seem to have a lot in common (other than hairy chests). Piven is very animated, while Cannavale seems more laid back. I have high hopes.

tvobsessive

[5]Sep 2, 2008
    • level: 5

I saw the original and loved it was funny, charming and well written and acted, Piven was clearly having a ball in the roll and got to just be as off the wall as he liked. Which is why i worry about this new version Bobby cannavale is a good actor in a drama i remember him from thirdwatch and kingpin but whenever i tuned in to see just how bad will & grace had gottten i saw him and i'm just not convinced he has real comic abilities and timing.

That said though i will check it out if it ever makes it to the UK and i hope i'm wrong.

As for the The original i really did like it and thought it should have lasted a lot longer than one season it had.

igotbupkis

[6]Sep 11, 2008
    • level: 28
    I concur with tvobsessive -- the show was, literally, brilliant (Check my show reviews for more, if you want, it was one of the first I ever reviewed). ABC brilliantly killed it by giving it bad scheduling, then, after a couple episodes, began "replacing" it constantly so you never, ever had any idea it was coming on, or when. Then they cancelled it with about 2-3 eps unshown, I think. Yet another great show bites the dust of programming stupidity.

There is no question that the role was made for Piven -- who manages to have a kind of blatant arrogance and presumptiousness about him (You can see some of it in his character on Entourage -- but even more in a small part as a Versace salesman in Rush Hour 2), but somehow you don't mind... Piven's charm makes you like him anyway.

That's why he was perfect for the role of Cupid, he had that kind of arrogance and ego you'd expect a Roman or Greek God to have but he was still a remarkably charming guy -- you cared about him and what he was trying to do.

I haven't seen Bobby Carnivale overmuch, but, if they are going to do this without Piven, they'll either have to change it notably or Carnivale is going to have to show up as a markedly better actor than anything he's done to date.

AFAIK, the show is not available on DVD (I think it may have been released on VHS at one point), so I think it's not unreasonable to say you can get it via E-Mule, a P2P file sharing program. Technically, that may be (probably is) illegal where you are, so do so at your own risk. I just think people should have a chance to watch it if they wanted to find it. By all means, if they release the DVDs, then rent it or buy it... but until then, it's out there and available

penelope1985

[7]Sep 16, 2008
    • level: 21
    it simply cant be the same without jeremy piven...

dawnaic

[8]Nov 26, 2008
    • level: 12
    I just discovered the original (watching them all before the new show airs), and I too am curious about how they will be similar. I think it worked, but watching it now it seems a bit dated. Maybe its the clothes and makeup a bit, but the overall feel really felt very 90s to me. Which, of course makes sense. I am interested to see how the new one will be more 00's.

cephun

[9]Oct 14, 2009
    • level: 5
    after watching both series i like the 90's better. of course the new one felt more modern, but with the old show in my head it just felt odd. i did like the changes they made, but some 2 episodes in that i recall were pretty much reshoots (the pilot and the linguistics coach episode) just with slight changes. which isn't totally negative when you consider that a huge percentage of people would not even notice since most who even saw the original, saw it 11 years ago. the mariachi karaoke was pure genius, if there was something like that in arizona i'd be there every tues!!