Cupid Forums

ABC (ended 2009)

Is it true???

krisi1021

[1]May 4, 2009
    • level: 11
    Just got word that Cupid is a goner ... is this true??? I really was holding out hope for this series. It's cute, quirky, and so appealing. I couldn't help but fall in love with it upon watching the pilot. Now, I get hooked on it, and it's being taken away. Phooy! Someone tell me there's still a chance!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

caitfate

[2]May 5, 2009
    • level: 7
    The love god has definitely worked his bow and arrow magic over me. I'm absolutely smitten with Cupid. Makes me giggle and grin every time I watch it. These days with so many crime/procedural/doctor dramas on tv, it's nice to sit back with my chocolate ice cream, embrace my romantic side, and watch a love story unfold. If decide to cancel it, I'm going to be livid!! I'm still mourning Pushing Daisies...

shenglabing

[3]May 5, 2009
    • level: 1
    I too mourn the loss of Pushing Daisies. It was cleverly written and such a great contrast to the typically dark, violent shows that dominate the television these days.

penelope1985

[4]May 8, 2009
    • level: 21
    definitely a gonner

alana15

[5]May 11, 2009
    • level: 30
    I like this show very much I think it's a lot better than the first one!!! I hope it's not cancelled!!

penelope1985

[6]May 18, 2009
    • level: 21
    It is canceled!

krussell47

[7]May 19, 2009
    • level: 12
    Haven't heard anything. Probably won't until ABC releases its fall schedule.

Brunete20

[8]May 19, 2009
    • level: 63
    ABC officially cancelled the show. It didn't make the fall lineup, which was released early this morning.

haldrey

[9]May 19, 2009
    • level: 22
    Gone with the wind, what a pity. Just six episodes aired, that is not giving it a fair chance.

pealee_83

[10]May 19, 2009
    • level: 19
    This freaking blows. I can't believe it. They want to give this show another try after so many years and then they only let a few eps air before they ax it. It pisses me off that networks do this. It was a cute show, very light hearted and wasn't giving the chance. It coulda been really really great. Stupid networks.

alana15

[11]May 19, 2009
    I'm so sad that they cancel it.

Jeffrey9910

[12]May 19, 2009
    • level: 4
    I really don't understand why I or anyone for that matter, wastes time watching new shows on ABC. They are by far the quickest of all to cancel a show. It was a decent show, so can't say I'm really surpurised it was cancelled but I can see why reality TV is so big as it is. You know your always gonna get the conclusion and they never get cancelled midseason or before the story is told.

igotbupkis

[13]May 20, 2009
    • level: 28
    Jeffrey9910 wrote:
    I really don't understand why I or anyone for that matter, wastes time watching new shows on ABC. They are by far the quickest of all to cancel a show. It was a decent show, so can't say I'm really surpurised it was cancelled but I can see why reality TV is so big as it is. You know your always gonna get the conclusion and they never get cancelled midseason or before the story is told.

Historically, you're not correct here. Fox and CBS are both far more quick to pull shows. Fox has pulled at least two shows with only three eps aired, both after screwing with the time slot even on those three airings(Wonderfalls, Drive). CBS has pulled shows after three eps, too(Love Monkey, Smith), and screwing with the time slot on LM at that.

ABC, at least, usually seems to give things 6 or so eps(Day Break, Six Degrees) before killing it. Only NBC has been more patient with shows, giving things, in some cases, notably longer(Journeyman, Studio 60), though they've been less patient this year(My Own Worst Enemy).

I'd wonder if noise about cancellation doesn't hurt a show's chances after 3 eps, mind you -- arguments by word-of-mouth that a show is "good, give it a chance" isn't going to bring in much help when there's already noise of it getting canceled -- why get into a show only to have it get axed two eps later?

Also:
    > This freaking blows. I can't believe it. They want to give this show another try after so many years and then they only let a few eps air before they ax it.

Hey, the biggest problem with the show was it was getting handed the audience from one of the highest rated shows and turning it into the audience for one of the lowest rated shows.

I personally, loved the original, and liked this one. I wished it well, but when the numbers are that bad, that's what happens.

This is still somewhat ABC's fault, but for different reasons -- I think the audience for reality shows is a different group, with some overlap, for scripted shows -- and I'd like to see the networks do a study showing that's occurred to them.

Because it does mean that they should not expect an audience for one to feed into the other.

And that would help explain Cupid's mediocre numbers. Not enough, possibly, to save the show -- not enough people were watching it -- but the whole complex thing of what makes someone go to the tv, turn it on, and turn it to a specific show could be in play here -- more people might have watched cupid if it had gotten more promotion. More people might have watched Cupid if it had had a good lead in (Anyone here not think that they would have watched Cupid and Pushing Daisies back to back?) And it is for that kind of stupidity in programming that ABC gets to get totally f***ed -- because, while NBC is hurting *now*, ABC is in substantial danger: All their current hits are at least 5 years old. Shows that old can lose their audiences quickly and without a lot of warning.

The whole programming model needs work. They complain about the expense of developing shows and then do everything possible to make sure that they develop a whole lot of them by necessity.

What they need to do is make some deals with the smaller cable nets to do some show connective show development -- premier shows on, say, USA or FX, then, if the audiences build to a good level, then they switch them to the bigger net to see if they can get even better ratings. Even if not, the numbers might be good enough that the secondary net is happy with them. This would help justify and pay for more eps (which helps DVD sales) which feeds back into the overall compensation model. Further, the secondary nets could premier their shows in the late spring, which allows for the nets to start showing the shows in the fall if they are showing promise.

That's only an idea, but it shows how some actual thinking might work instead of this model that currently pisses people off.

Castle is an example -- I like Fillion -- I'd watch a show with him in it, but not if it's got a huge chance of getting cancelled (and, for whatever reason, his do -- Firefly, Drive, etc.) -- so I haven't watched Castle to this point because I thought its chances of getting canceled were too high. And there are other shows like that, too, that struck me as having a good premise but not good enough that I'm going to spend my time getting into a show only to see the story end abruptly. If I wanted that, I'd be reading fan fiction.

evl85

[14]May 21, 2009
    • level: 5
    I was upset when the 98 version ended, but now they cancel the one show i really love!! Why is it that my favourtie shows always end?? Its cruel!!

CoffeeCake225

[15]May 24, 2009
    • level: 15
    it was a really great show, but nobody can blame the network in this case..they gave the show a good night and a pretty good time slot, im just dissapointed that people didnt think it was worth their time

alana15

[16]May 25, 2009

I you want cupid back, please help us and sing the petition:

http://tvseriesfinale.com/articles/cupid-petition/

lillyland

[17]Jun 24, 2009
    • level: 8
    And this is why I don't waste my time investing in new shows. As much as I love BC I just couldn't do it to myself. Sometimes it just seems like networks are looking for that next "Lost" or "24" or "CSI" and when they don't get it they cancel. I don't know that any one network cancels new shows any more than any other but I know this...in the last 3 years every single new show I picked up got cancelled ~ and they were all on different networks. Now I just wait a while to see if a show looks like it's going to stick around and then I pick it up. Let the networks find another guinea pig, this one is done.

i5star

[18]Jul 1, 2009
    • level: 44
    It's so sad that Cupid is gone, I enjoyed this show very very much. Hopefully each network will get to a point when they stop doing this and figure out that canceling shows this quickly is not a good idea. Maybe if you picked up the pilot for all the fall or summer schedule, maybe you can stick to that pilot until the season is over...

dazzlin45

[19]Jul 14, 2009
    • level: 1
    NOOOO!!!!!! Why do they have to cancel Cupid? I too am mourning Pushing Daisies and loved this show!!!! They didn't even give us a warning, or a final episode with closure!!!!! =[ I didn't know about the 1998 version because I was only 4 then, but I love this show and am starting to get frustrated....first kyle xy and pushing daisies go and now this!!! also, im worrying over samantha who? and I think minute man's long gone....oh well...at least I still have Ugly Betty while it lasts....=] Still, can't we start a petition or something to save this show? I wish....