Curb Your Enthusiasm

Sunday 10:00 PM on HBO Premiered Oct 15, 2000 Between Seasons

Curb Your Enthusiasm Fan Reviews (119)

• An OK show

I know that Larry is not perfect but hey, we all ar`nt which is how I can relate to him in a way. The plots do feel decent but at times it feels like the show writers were straining to complete the plots for the more complex episodes. Still, I think it had a good run.
  • the BEST in laughs :)

Love all the episodes of Larry David and his mishaps. He can get into more trouble, so funny! The best ever! Thank you guys for a fabulous show!!
  • Quite A Rollercoaster

I spent a lot of time whilst watching this show simply waiting, patiently, for the good parts. It seems that a considerable amount of intellectual resources are pooled to reach the gem (which are almost invariably reached however awkwardly), which can be torturous. I watched it all though, as I thought the good parts are worth it.

I think it is important to remember that a disdain for characters is not a criticism of the show's worth. Larry is essentially playing a character he would like to, and acting abilities aside, he seems to be pleased with that. Also, a plot which seems to cover too much, or stray from the story is not a bad plot, but simply a complex one. I feel that Curb manages to avoid going into too much detail in these sub plots but does include them, which is what chaotic events entail.

Overall I don't regret watching the show but I kind of wonder what I could have done instead...
  • Season 1 Episode 9 Afirmative Action

I thought this was a good show, but am now having my doubts. Any show that makes the viewer furiously frustrated, is obviously misdirected. When I feel this way, its like the show's story has been side railed by some stupid unrealistic, event caused by Larry David the character. For example, this character, who is suppose to be the real Larry David, acts like an old man suffering dementia. In the episode Affirmative Action, Larry for no reason, makes a racist comment to his comedian friend's Dermatologist. Larry and his friend are talking and his friend flags down his black Dermatologist friend who is jogging by. He introduces the doctor to Larry, and Larry instantly attempts an affirmative action joke. He says something like "Your taking a chance on an Affirmative Action?". The joke is not finished because the doctor is offended. What is frustrating is Larry is often offensive in this series. I was thinking, who would say that? Larry's character Larry then looks confused like he doesn't have any idea he could have offended this doctor. Larry then apologizes, but just says it was a joke, its nothing really, and doesn't even try to attempt to tell the man the joke and what he meant. Larry's character comes off as a pampas wealthy jerk who could care less. The character is very selfish, always thinking about himself. In this same episode, he forgets to pick up his wives prescription. Larry dramatically describes his POV of the emotional encounter with the Dermatologist earlier, as reason for forgetting the prescription. He then thinks her prescription is money some how, and tips the host with it, for a good seat. Impossible. When he later realizes and returns to the restaurant, he asks the host for the prescription, never offering money for the prescription. Of course the host was angry. Larry's always acting like the stereo type of a Jewish person. In one episode, he offers to buy his friend a bottle of wine, and is upset when he chooses a 300 dollar bottle. Both the character and the real Larry David are both wealthy celebrities, why is he always so cheap? Is this the real Larry David were seeing? In another episodes Larry talks to people in a way that would get him punched in the face. There is no way his wife, who is good looking, would be with a guy who looks and acts like a helpless geezer. They actually show her frustration with the character, this I don't understand. He frustrates all his friends. Is this show meant to frustrate the viewers? In the episode The Group, Larry runs into his attractive ex while he is with his wife. I totally saw it coming when Larry was self absorbed and forgot to introduce his wife. I said at the screen, "introduce your wife, introduce your wife, introduce your wife, introduce your wife, introduce your wife". He was then clueless she was upset when she left him to talk with her wile she went to wait in the car. Later that night she wanted to have sex, but he told his wife that he masturbated to his ex earlier so he was not in the mood. Who would say this? I think this is the real Larry David. He thinks this humor is funny because this is probably how he treats people in real life. I mean, he is playing himself. I guess this is why it is not so hard for him to come up with story lines, he just takes them from his personal life.
  • A SHOW ABOUT NOTHING!

If you watched seinfeld.. u know what this thing is talking about. For all the people that gave it 1 or 2, you can die now and i wouldnt give a shit. this is the best show in the world.. and for those who watch how i met your mother.. these jokes are all made up, but this show is like real life.
  • Painful, contrived, self-absorbed drivel

After resisting this show for a long time (Didn't like Seinfeld), I just watched "Black Swan" and "...Like to Wear Panties" and I just cannot believe how many people think this is the greatest show ever. Every plot line is contrived, the characters are more one dimensional than Seinfeld, and the only reason I didn't give it a 1 is because there are a few good lines (and it does provide insight into the personalities behind Seinfeld).

The Panties episode was amazingly dumb. Every single aspect of the whole pants plot was unbelievable.

So the fire alarm closes the mall for several hours? He's told so by the same cop who appears at his house later? He goes home and leaves his pants there and doesn't go back later that day? He must've put his wallet in the pants he was trying on in the store so he wasn't without it when he did the lemonaid stand bit. He wore the same pants day after day and didn't even take off the tag after he stole them in front of the store employee who let him set off the alarm and walk away with stolen merchandise? What a bizzare chain of events.... all so he can have that officer from another unbelievable plot line demand he give the pants back (...instead of arresting him). It all has the character of a 'shaggy-dog story', where you sit through a long string of contrived events all in the name of a punchline; in this case, Larry dropping his pants to reveal that he's wearing panties.

I love how his manager's wife walks out of the room and five seconds later he and Larry are yelling at each other about the panty thing (I guess sound doesn't travel in his world). This seems to be a constant for the show. Sound dosen't travel when people yell at each other after another person exits the screen.

The Black Swan episode had all the unbelievable events (guy who's holding them back on the golf course has a heart attack right then and there but they don't see it?) lead up to the stone mason (who hangs out at country club vigils of course and wears funny foreshadowing hats) erasing and carving out accusations on a dead relative's tombstone.

I normally don't like to point out plot holes in reviews, and in a show this poorly written, it's almost unfair, but c'mon. He's got enough money he should be able to pay someone who's at least modestly clever to flush out the plot, maybe give the characters a second personality trait.

I swear there is no effort put into the writing because it's just another show about a bunch of shallow rich people and just how Zaaa-aaa-aaany their crazy lives are. I'd imagine most the people who like this show are avid fans of TMZ and honestly think Seinfeld was the very first 'show about nothing'.

Larry David is so beloved that he could read a TV Guide and his fans would be rolling about on their backs laughing hysterically at his genius.
  • ucommon genuis

Larry David is at his finest. We are talking about they writer for Sienfield for Heaven's sake. The situations Larry finds himself in are absolutley hilarious without question and he often has me feelin sympathy for him being misunderstood all the time. The plots are relevant to everyday life and don't have to be so crazy and unrealistic. He does meet other c-list celebs and like any other person he come in contact with, he ends up pissing them of. I am black, and the fact that Larry said the n word does not phase me. First of all, Larry means no harm by saying this. His character houses a black person (have no clue if for free). Taking so much offense would be implying the meaning of the word which would actually make the critic rascist. Plus, Larry is'nt the rascist, we alll now Kreimer is. To finalize, its undoubtingly amusing when Larry scrunches up his eyes and his face and gives someone the stare down.
  • Rich guy acting out of necessity to prove he's not just a good writer producer.

I'm sorry but i just don't see how this is anything but painful. I can appreciate and recognize the humour in the scenes but Larry Davids acting is so obvious and forced that i'm sure if they grabbed one of the guys from behind camera and got him to do Larry's lines it would be much funnier. His delivery is laboured and awkward. You can almost see him looking out of the corner of his eye to get some sort of acknowledgement from the crew to reassure him that he is funny. But i guess since he is paying their wages they would tell him what he wants to hear. Dont get me wrong, as i said it is a well scripted and shot show, its just the main characters ability to act that lets the whole thing down. Maybe ill wait another year and watch the DVDs again to see if i have changed and it becomes funnier.
  • Terrible worst show I've ever suffered through watching. Worst acting I have ever seen. It's like he is trying sooooo hard, it's painful.

What is this??? I am seriously confused as to if this is a reality show or a sitcom?? I am however positive it's THE worst thing on TV I have ever seen. The comedy is awkward and as far from natural as can be.
    It seems like this really bad blend of all characters from Seinfield into one bad actor who doesn't know where to use it, if that makes since.
    I just had to log on the internet to see if anyone else had noticed this to be the worst show ever aired on HBO, take it off the air!! Please. There are real comedians out there, I'm sure of it.
  • LD Jumped the Shark (Or the Curb in his case..)

Just garbage...he is over acting, unrealistic, going in too many directions. I am so dissapointed, and this is coming from a (ex) diehard fan. He acts over the top way too much, almost like his Steinbrenner character from Seinfeld. He has so much money in the bank, so why the need to overwrite the script? This show is NOT Improvised by any means. He has lost his edge, and is now just a whacky sitcom. There are story lines that go in so many directions, there is no subtle laughs. There are small laughs at times, but those are far and few between. Thanks LD for making this season unwatchable!
  • Curb It

We use to LOVE Curb Your Enthusiasm. We've been avid supporters for years. My husband and I were looking forward to the show. However, we felt offended when he used the N word. His character could have said "The N word" instead of the full word. It wasn't funny. The toilet humor was silly as well. After being off the air for 2 years, I expected more. We did like the "law jokes" and we think the show was pretty funny, generally. He could have did a much better job after this long hiatus. We won't watch anymore. Not funny!
  • This is without a doubt the worst show on television...EVER!!!

This is without a doubt the worst show on television...EVER!!! I don't even understand where some people think it's funny or entertaining. Larry is sooo frickin dry, and a horrible actor. The plot, well what plot? I don't even know how it possibly make it to tv? Is it just me? AND PLEASE stop com pairing it to Seinfeld. No comparison
  • Person 1: What shows do you like? Me: I like Curb Your Enthusiasm. Person 1: Never heard of it - can't be that good. Me: (I immediately leave the conversation)

This Show is genius on so many levels.
    Many will hate it, many more don't really get it, however the large handful who know why it is so genius tend to be Critics, Comedians and intelligent members of the public - all in all, the people who really count. The premise of the show is very hard to describe to someone who has never heard of the show. The show is based around the life of Larry David - writer of the hugely successful mainstream sitcom 'Seinfeld'. However, Larry David plays a twisted version of himself in his life after Seinfeld and its success which involves interactions with friends, acquaintances, restaurants, meetings and regular life for a successful writer who isn't writing any more. What is mor interesting is the fact that the entire show is improvised and each episode is composed of nothing more than a 10-15 page outline for each scene. Everything else is made up by the actor/actresses. It is a sitcom you have to watch a few episodes of to get. The genius comes from the character of this fictional Larry David being played by Larry David. The humour is created because Larry David's fictional self basically expresses views on life and life's rules on etiquette that any normal person wouldn't say aloud. Despite the fact these views are controversial, you do see his point and often agree with him. He is a bit of an idiot but he isn't stupid. He tries to get out of situations he has created himself due to a faux pas said earlier on in the episode via elaborate schemes. An example would be from season 6 in which Larry is given a 50 dollar note which is owed to him from his friend who's mother has recently passed away. The note was kept in his running shoe. Larry, due to a problem in the episode, wishes to apoligise to his wife via buying her flowers, the flower-woman refuses to accept the screwed up and rather smelly 50 dollar bill and so, on the way back home, Larry steals flowers from his friend's Mother's memorial site on the side of the road. Is this wrong? Yes is the answer. However you do agree with him that the 50 dollar note his friend gives him isn't acceptable and taking flowers from a memorial is not as bad as from a grave. The genius comes from the loveable character of Larry David who's opinions we agree with over issues he has with the everyday rules we blindly accept such as when a shop has two queue lines and a person who came into the shop after you can easily get serves before you are just because there are two lines, or when people don't like telling you who else is coming to a dinner party that they have invited you to. That is the great thing about Curb, it is filmed with a slightly shaky, documentary style, improvised and inovative and yet has humour that people from all backgrounds can relate to - our day to day lives. Anyone who says it is awful deserves to thow themselves under a nuclear bomb that explodes in slow motion in order to inflict more pain. You can say you don't get it, that's fair enough, never say it is awful because people who actually know about comedy adore it. Also never put 10/10 because that means it cannot be improved, all shows can. It is Genius.
  • Larry David offers a glimpse into his life, which despite his riches, always manages to leave him holding the short end of the stick.

Larry David's Curb Your Enthusiasm is a stronger, more potent espresso to Seinfeld's coffee. Written only in outline form, the actors take a few key items or phrases and ad-lib the rest, giving the show a very real feeling. Wife Cheryl (Cheryl Hines), manager Jeff (Jeff Garlin), and Jeff's foul-mouthed wife Susie (Susie Essman) come along for the ride as we get a sneak peak into what it's like to live as Larry David, and envy not being him as much as we might envy being him.
    Much of the clever, biting humor revolves around Larry's distaste for confining social mores, be it chatting with acquaintances on the street (he hates the "stop-n-chat"), following the rules of someone else's house (he won't remove his shoes), or simply singing "Happy Birthday" (he refuses to). His refusal to conform to nearly any situation, no matter how "in the right" he may actually be, always makes him look unbelievably bad. Even better, when he tries to do nice things, life seems to punish him even more. Writing an obituary for a relative and buying a gift for a surrogate mother both caused no end of difficulty for Larry.
    Differing a bit from Seinfeld is the inclusion of some continuing plot threads. Seasons 1 and 2 saw some arcs revolving around former Seinfeld cast mates, and seasons 3 and 4 followed season-long arcs, the opening of a restaurant and Larry's starring role in Mel Brooks' The Producers. The show also moves at a slower pace, not rushing to get to the next joke, and the lack of commercials lets the show "flow" much more naturally.
    The show is sprinkled with friends like the always excellent Richard Lewis and Wanda Sykes. While he alternately is in cahoots with Richard or accidentally offending him, Wanda constantly "catches" Larry in perceived ill circumstances. Neither is on the show long enough to wear out their welcome, and both are always fantastic when they are.
    If you are not a fan of Seinfeld, stay away from this show: it's not for you. If you are, and are interested in seeing how it might have looked on HBO, give this show a try. It's well worth your while and will leave you laughing constantly.
  • Just discovered this show on TV Guide - Hilarious!

My favorite show by far is The Office and has been for a few years. Nothing's even come come, however I have to say Curb is getting there for me. As you get to know the characters it just gets better and better. I could do without many of the crude, sexual jokes, but other than than I laugh out loud regularly while watching this. I would have given it a 9.5 or 10 if not for the uneccessary sexual stuff. My wife doesn't care for Curb, and doesn't find it funny, but to each their own. I also find the discussion afterwards to be pretty entertaining - again when they don't go too much into potty talk. This show is addictive - I've been DVRing it and watching it 4-5 times/week since I discovered it. Personally I find it much funnier than Seinfeld (especially the early Seinfeld seasons which are now dreadful to watch), and on par with The Office.
  • I don't understand how this show made it for five seasons.

This is one of the most unentertaining shows I've ever seen. I really tried to get through the episodes, but I gave up after about three.

Everything Larry David says sounds like something George Castanza on Seinfeld would say, only not funny. He comes across as a curmudgeon, and in no way likeable.

I mean why was he cast as the lead? Absolutely no empathy. Like nails on a chalkboard.
  • We get to watch Larry David, a bitter man, go about his daily routine, interacting with various people.

I had reviewed this show before, scoring it a 2 after watching the first couple of episodes. Since then, I have watched the rest of the first disc from the first season, and I'll have to say, it's getting a little better.

It seems as though the production value has been increased a bit, and there are a few more laughs in these later episodes than in the first few.

The thing that I like about this show is that the comedy is based on everyday events, but at the same time, I don't feel that those events warrant a whole episode, as the jokes are often carried on a little long.
  • Larry's lost a lot of likability.

Hey, my summary is an alliteration! Anyway, is it just me or is this season painting Larry as a very unsavory character? He was always pretty quirky and often made stupid decisions but was basically good-natured, or affable, as he would say. Most of the situations he got in were because of the absurd behavior of the people around him while he remained the relatively sensible one and you could feel sorry for him when things went horribly wrong.

That seems to have been flipped around this season. I can't picture the Larry of just a season ago going to ridiculous lengths to protect a cell phone while potentially allowing a little girl to drown. The ridiculous factor of the show has been pushed past the point where I can suspend disbelief.

Maybe this is a sign that the show has run its course. Or maybe I just need to shift my perspective and start enjoying the show on a different level. I'm not sure yet, but I'm hoping it'll return to form.
  • My favourite comedy series.

Curb Your Enthusiasm has been one of those shows that I have always watched right from the start, normally I drop shows after one season but this has stuck with me for years and there is a reason for that. Curb is one of the best sitcoms ever and beleave me this is a true sitcom in every episode Larry David gets himself into some strange but often hilarious situations. I think the show has gotten better each season with season seven nearing it's end I honestly think that this was the best season. Bring on season eight, hopefully it wont be the final season.
  • I'm Larry David, And I Happen To Enjoy Wearing Woman's Panties

Larry David's hilarious follow up to Seinfeld. I didn't care to much for the first season of Curb Your Enthusiasm, but as i watched more of Curb Your Enthusiasm it started growing on me and before I knew it, it started getting funnier and funnier. The show is set around Larry David's everyday life and people around him getting mad about the things he has been doing. The last seasons Seinfeld reunion was a dream combination with Curb Your Enthusiasm and i can't wait to see what the hilarious mind of Larry David has come up with for next year.
  • Seinfeld's Successor

This show has gradually become one of my all time favorite shows on television. Larry David, the creator of Seinfeld, plays himself as a neurotic and gloomy person living in Santa Monica, California. Much like Seinfeld, Larry finds a perfect cast to be centered around the main character. You could watch this show over and over and never get tired of it.

• GOLD !

Curb your Enthusiasm, what a show. I can't describe how hilarious this is to me. This episode had me in tears, all the way through it, it's so well written, everything fits in, i can't wait for next week's finale.
    I really hope that next weeks episode includes some of the big characters that were in Seinfeld, like George's father or Puddy, and i noticed George's mother and Steve Hytner where in this one.
    Before i even watch this show, i have a big grin on my face because i know how good it's gonna be.

COMEDY GOLD ! Well done Producers.
  • Ok, now that I have seen 3 seasons, it has improved greatly.

The first season was incredibly painful to sit through. Not really that funny the majority of the time and so uncomfortable to watch I actually got up and left the room half the time and let my husband watch it. But now that we finished the 3rd season where he invests in the restaurant, I cannot wait to finish the next few seasons. I don't think I laughed so hard at a sit com before (30 rock is awesome, but the final for C.Y.E. season 3 was insanely hilarious)

I am starting to see the genius of Larry David's humor. He is definitely unique.
  • This IS comedy!

From the very moment I saw this show I loved it. Not for the fact that I am a massive seinfeld fan but because it stands on it's own as a truly brilliant show. In fact when I first saw this show, I didn't even know who Larry David was or that it had anything to do with Seinfeld, I just loved it for what it was.

Season after season, this show just keeps coming back as funny as always. It's about as perfect as a comedy show could be. Larry is what more people should be. Completely honest and upfront yet with a heart of gold. He just unfortunately never quite seems to get it right. As a rule however there is pretty much one dud episode per season that's just not quite as funny as the rest. So 9 out of ten episodes per year are perfect with one not that funny (the reason for the 9/10 rating).

And although when I was watching season 5, I felt ths show had lost it's touch a little, there season 6 was being just as funny and sometimes funnier than ever before.

This show is still going strong and I believe season 7 will be no exception to the absolutely hilarious show.
  • Both amazingly funny and incredibly painful watching. A must see!

Larry David's lovechild is an amazing thing. The amount of times you will find yourself unable to move either from laughing so hard it hurts or from the intense awkwardness of whatever situation Larry has managed to get into is uncountable. Admittedly I say this loving British shows, such as the Office and Peep Show, which are equally painful and anyone who prefers to laugh without the associated cringing would best leave this alone. The improvisation that is so key to the shows format works wonderfully and the character (or perhaps caricature) that is Larry David, all bitterness included, is one of my favourite comedy creations in years.
  • The best comedy on TV, nothing comes close to Curb Your Enthusiasm.

Anyone who says this show is overrated is either a complete idiot, or very, very jealous. Or maybe they just prefer shows with laugh tracks so all their simple minded family members can clasp along when they hear the laughs. Enough about these people let me start talking about the best show ever, Curb Your Enthusiasm. It's a fantastic show, full of wit and originality. It rivals any comedy 'classic', and to me, its more than a show, it's a way of life. I admire Larry David so much that sometimes when i'm going about my daily routines, I think, what would Larry David do in this situation? The brilliance of the show in my opinion is that it's unscripted, the actors have to be excellent to work on a show like this, and they most certainly are. It seems more real when you watch it, because the words coming out of the actors mouths are really most of the time their first impressions, they didn't stay up all night reading lines to get it perfect, they just say what they feel, and it works like a gem.

Larry David is a genius, no doubt about that. The show gets better every season, not many shows can do that, please Mr. David, give us people with a brain more Curb
  • Larry David, co-creator of Seinfeld, portrays himself in a shameless comedy. He has an understanding, activist wife, and a chummy manager. He has daily run-ins and feuds with just about everyone on the planet.

To say this show is "funny", is a gross understatement. To say this show is "overrated" is, to me, a sign of ignorance. However, there are a number of opinions I can understand, without agreeing personally. This is a show I recommend often, yet when I do, I keep in mind that the prospective viewer might not be able to enjoy it completely. There are a few good reasons: Larry David, while brilliant of course, portrays himself unapologetically as this obnoxious, defiant, impossible to get along with man. His character alone is enough for many to call it quits. But the thing that crawls under most people's skin even more than character, are the often bizarre, always cringe-worthy scenarios he puts himself in. I understand not everyone can enjoy watching an old man yelling at everyone. It's often hard to watch. But these scenarios are far from random. As with Seinfeld, Curb Your Enthusiasm uses scenarios, questions, annoyances, etc. of everyday life, amplified times 100, of course. This show is comedic brilliance and it gets better with every season. If you think you can handle the absurdity and shameless embarrassment portrayed in Curb Your Enthusiasm, you must watch this show! My personal favorites are the episodes costarring Richard Lewis.
  • It's probably the best show on television. Curb Your Enthusiasm is a 30 minute heavily improvised comedy that focuses on the life of Seinfeld co-creator Larry David and the series of misadventures that he has on a daily basis.

Though it may not be on TV right now, Curb Your Enthusiasm is a genius series. Some may find it hard to follow because it builds at times somewhat slow up until the big pay off at the end. Though I personally find the series a delightful comedy that is along the lines of Seinfeld and Frasier as both sophisticated, intelligent and funny! So each episode focuses on the life of Larry David (playing himself) basically he is the neurotic main character of the series. He basically makes a big deal about every little small thing. Kind of like George Costanza from Seinfeld. Well Larry is a millionaire and the show focuses on the people he comes into interactions on a daily basis. They include his wife Cheryl David (Cheryl Hines) who is usually Larry's straight-man or woman to every situation he gets into and usually the barer of good judgment compared to Mr. David. Then there is Larry's manager Jeff Greene (Jeff Garlin) who is a sex-crazed and usually Larry's cohort into various situations. Then there is Jeff's wife Susie Greene (Susie Essman) who plays Jeff's foulmouthed wife who is usually very angry with the shenanigans that Larry and Jeff usually find themselves into. The show also features a great deal of cameos including comedian Richard Lewis, Ted Danson, David Schwimmer, Mel Brooks, Bob Einstein as Marty Funkhowser, Wanda Sykes etc....It's such a genius show and I can't wait for the 7th season. Brilliant HBO Comedy showing off the comedic and acting talents of the genius known as Larry David.
  • Creator of Seinfeld Larry David is awesome in Curb!

Seinfeld Creator Larry David stars in Curb Your Enthusiasm as himself, a belligerent man who goes about his daily life running into the most hilarious scenarios. There are tons of cameo's and guest appearances, and the cast is hilarious. Whats more, is that the dialogue is completely original. The cast are given the scenario and directions, but most of the script is original and character made. While being a different show from Seinfeld, Curb Your Enthusiasm will make you laugh. However, it is on HBO and language as well as content may be a little bit extreme at times, but nonetheless hilarious!!
  • One of the few shows that can make me laugh consistently.

I'm not usually one to watch comedies, but Larry David just has an uncanny ability to make me laugh. Curb Your Enthusiasm is the funniest show I've ever watched. Larry gets into the most ridiculous situations possible, usually caused by his social awkwardness. Countless times I just wanna yell at my TV "SHUT UP LARRY" as he refuses to let go of a simple dispute or disagreement, always taking it further than any person would ever take it. Larry isn't the only funny one on this show, Richard Lewis, Jeff Greene, Marty Funkhouser, and more recently Leon Black are all brilliantly funny as supporting characters. Please do one more season!
TVLAND