Curb Your Enthusiasm

Sunday 10:00 PM on HBO Premiered Oct 15, 2000 Between Seasons

Curb Your Enthusiasm Fan Reviews (120)

• Painful, contrived, self-absorbed drivel

After resisting this show for a long time (Didn't like Seinfeld), I just watched "Black Swan" and "...Like to Wear Panties" and I just cannot believe how many people think this is the greatest show ever. Every plot line is contrived, the characters are more one dimensional than Seinfeld, and the only reason I didn't give it a 1 is because there are a few good lines (and it does provide insight into the personalities behind Seinfeld).

The Panties episode was amazingly dumb. Every single aspect of the whole pants plot was unbelievable.

So the fire alarm closes the mall for several hours? He's told so by the same cop who appears at his house later? He goes home and leaves his pants there and doesn't go back later that day? He must've put his wallet in the pants he was trying on in the store so he wasn't without it when he did the lemonaid stand bit. He wore the same pants day after day and didn't even take off the tag after he stole them in front of the store employee who let him set off the alarm and walk away with stolen merchandise? What a bizzare chain of events.... all so he can have that officer from another unbelievable plot line demand he give the pants back (...instead of arresting him). It all has the character of a 'shaggy-dog story', where you sit through a long string of contrived events all in the name of a punchline; in this case, Larry dropping his pants to reveal that he's wearing panties.

I love how his manager's wife walks out of the room and five seconds later he and Larry are yelling at each other about the panty thing (I guess sound doesn't travel in his world). This seems to be a constant for the show. Sound dosen't travel when people yell at each other after another person exits the screen.

The Black Swan episode had all the unbelievable events (guy who's holding them back on the golf course has a heart attack right then and there but they don't see it?) lead up to the stone mason (who hangs out at country club vigils of course and wears funny foreshadowing hats) erasing and carving out accusations on a dead relative's tombstone.

I normally don't like to point out plot holes in reviews, and in a show this poorly written, it's almost unfair, but c'mon. He's got enough money he should be able to pay someone who's at least modestly clever to flush out the plot, maybe give the characters a second personality trait.

I swear there is no effort put into the writing because it's just another show about a bunch of shallow rich people and just how Zaaa-aaa-aaany their crazy lives are. I'd imagine most the people who like this show are avid fans of TMZ and honestly think Seinfeld was the very first 'show about nothing'.

Larry David is so beloved that he could read a TV Guide and his fans would be rolling about on their backs laughing hysterically at his genius.