Curb Your Enthusiasm

Sunday 10:00 PM on HBO Premiered Oct 15, 2000 Between Seasons

Curb Your Enthusiasm Fan Reviews (120)

• Season 1 Episode 9 Afirmative Action

I thought this was a good show, but am now having my doubts. Any show that makes the viewer furiously frustrated, is obviously misdirected. When I feel this way, its like the show's story has been side railed by some stupid unrealistic, event caused by Larry David the character. For example, this character, who is suppose to be the real Larry David, acts like an old man suffering dementia. In the episode Affirmative Action, Larry for no reason, makes a racist comment to his comedian friend's Dermatologist. Larry and his friend are talking and his friend flags down his black Dermatologist friend who is jogging by. He introduces the doctor to Larry, and Larry instantly attempts an affirmative action joke. He says something like "Your taking a chance on an Affirmative Action?". The joke is not finished because the doctor is offended. What is frustrating is Larry is often offensive in this series. I was thinking, who would say that? Larry's character Larry then looks confused like he doesn't have any idea he could have offended this doctor. Larry then apologizes, but just says it was a joke, its nothing really, and doesn't even try to attempt to tell the man the joke and what he meant. Larry's character comes off as a pampas wealthy jerk who could care less. The character is very selfish, always thinking about himself. In this same episode, he forgets to pick up his wives prescription. Larry dramatically describes his POV of the emotional encounter with the Dermatologist earlier, as reason for forgetting the prescription. He then thinks her prescription is money some how, and tips the host with it, for a good seat. Impossible. When he later realizes and returns to the restaurant, he asks the host for the prescription, never offering money for the prescription. Of course the host was angry. Larry's always acting like the stereo type of a Jewish person. In one episode, he offers to buy his friend a bottle of wine, and is upset when he chooses a 300 dollar bottle. Both the character and the real Larry David are both wealthy celebrities, why is he always so cheap? Is this the real Larry David were seeing? In another episodes Larry talks to people in a way that would get him punched in the face. There is no way his wife, who is good looking, would be with a guy who looks and acts like a helpless geezer. They actually show her frustration with the character, this I don't understand. He frustrates all his friends. Is this show meant to frustrate the viewers? In the episode The Group, Larry runs into his attractive ex while he is with his wife. I totally saw it coming when Larry was self absorbed and forgot to introduce his wife. I said at the screen, "introduce your wife, introduce your wife, introduce your wife, introduce your wife, introduce your wife". He was then clueless she was upset when she left him to talk with her wile she went to wait in the car. Later that night she wanted to have sex, but he told his wife that he masturbated to his ex earlier so he was not in the mood. Who would say this? I think this is the real Larry David. He thinks this humor is funny because this is probably how he treats people in real life. I mean, he is playing himself. I guess this is why it is not so hard for him to come up with story lines, he just takes them from his personal life.