Curb Your Enthusiasm

The Doll

Aired Sunday 10:00 PM Nov 04, 2001 on HBO

• Larry gets in trouble when he only meant well. Again. And he gets Jeff in trouble, embarrasses Cheryl, and freaks out a little girl multiple times.

This episode is insanely amazing. It contains numerous laugh-out-loud parts, which I feel do not come along in CYE as much as they do in most funny shows. Curb's appeal is usually the awkward-"Oh my gosh I can't believe that just happened"-funny, not necessarily the haha-funny. But "The Doll" combines both throughout.

Larry David rants about locks on doors, chest-freezes, people who make sure others are following the rules, and other social oddities. And in doing so, he once again turns what was once mundane and extracts every bit of humor found in it. The last scene is a perfect "Curb" moment, where the viewer feels so bad for him, but can't help but laugh hysterically.

Plus, Suzie yells and swears, Larry does his imitative voice, and the dialogue is natural and realistic, as it usually is. Sometimes, on CYE, the viewer laughs because a joke is made or because someone has said something funny. Those moments exist in "The Doll", but most of the time, the situation is just so awkwardly amusing, that you can't help but smile and laugh.