Curb Your Enthusiasm

The End

Aired Sunday 10:00 PM Dec 04, 2005 on HBO

• The fifth season ends with Private Investigator Omar Jones telling Larry he is in fact adopted and where his biological parents live. Vitising them makes Larry have an epiphany which leads him to reconsider donating one of his kidneys to Richard Lewis.

This is the second consecutive disappointing season finale for this show. If there is one word to describe this episode it's predictable. I knew from the minute Omar Jones told Larry he was adopted that he would later reveal he was wrong (Great work Omar! I hope Larry didn't pay you in advance!). Also, I knew the second Larry died that he would come back to life (Who didn't?). Some very well written and clever dialouge (especially from an impressive list of guest stars) saves this episode from total disaster. I hope the finale losing streak ends in season six.

• I love this show but this was one of the worst episode ever. I mean it was gogin somewhwere but at the end it was like wtf. was this the series finale as well cause it sure felt that way.

2.2
    I love this show but this was one of the worst episode ever. I mean it was gogin somewhwere but at the end it was like wtf. was this the series finale as well cause it sure felt that way. I gotta last season was lot better with the whole acting on a play.
  • For such a funny and well scripted show it was one of the worst season finales i have ever seen.

1.3
    Larry David, one of the funniest men in America . Made one of the most succesful US sitcoms .....What the hell happened , i mean one minute your laghing your head off the next your saying like, what the hell happened here ya know. i mean i could of made a better season finale.
  • What were they thinking?

1.5
    I'm sorry, I love this show, but the end of the 5th season is the definition of jumping the shark. Larry floats up to heaven and has encounters with his sarcastic guardian angels? Seriously, this show has never used any special effects (outside of slapstick) in almost 5 full seasons, and then out of the blue Larry is drifting through white clouds at the pearly gates. Painful and reminiscent of the horribly-overdone final episode of Seinfeld.
  • Good.

Larry is changed by a trip to Arizona, to Richard Lewis' profound relief. Larry also finds out the truth of whether he is adopted. Larry dies and goes to heaven until he is re-animated. This was probably the worst season of Curb your enthusiasm so far but that does not mean it was bad still very funny and it still had me laughing it also had many of great guest stars including the brilliant Dustin Hoffman who is a legend in our household for being Rain man and many more great guest stars appear, Larry is still great as uasual but I thought the lack of Jeff and Cheryl in this season let it down. i can't for the next season that starts soon in the UK.
  • Poorly conceived and directed (by himself) weird episode which has us wondering if it was the series finale episode.

As I was watching this episode I started noticing pacing or continuity problems that I had to capture:
    1. How could he not have taken Cheryl with him to meet his real parents?! It wasn't even discussed!
    2. He converted to Christianity without any problem or conflict.
    3. And, yeh, I really believe his investigator is going to rush to the hospital to tell him he's not adopted.
    4. This episode is looking more and more like a "fantasy" sequence --but it apparently wasn't.
    5. At the end he never told Cheryl about his experience in Heaven and
    6. ...that his Guides told him the DVD cover was behind the couch.

This is just poor directing by Larry David himself. There were some funny bits though when:
    he found out he was a "Cone" instead of a "Cohen",
    he got all small-town redneck,
    on his deathbed he flicked Susie away from him,
    and his last words to Cheryl were about his "system" and if he could "fool around"
    his mother was played by Bea Arthur of "The Golden Girls"
    he got into an F-you match with his guides and they boot him back to life.

As comic-book guy on "The Simpson's" would say, "Worst episode ever!" The upside is that they'll be playing all ten Season 5 episodes back-to-back on New Year's Eve. Clear some space on those DVRs. :--)
  • Larry finds out the truth behind the "adoption." Larry decides to give one of his kidneys to Richard.

1.5
    Well, if this is the way the show is going to end, I am going to be thoroughly disappointed! There was NOTHING in the show that seemed funny to anyone who watches the show in my household (4 of us). The whole montage was nice, as we were able to reflect on everything that the show has offered over the past 5 seasons...but, the way this show ended EASILY reminds me of the way Seinfeld ended it\'s run...IN THE DUMPS!
  • "The End" - Larry ties up all loose Ends in this 40 minute Finale. Is it the last Episode ever?

Best episode of this rather weak season in my opinion. It had some classic moments (\"i have a system\") - very seinfeldish. It really WAS a great Finale. Sadly, I don\'t think LD will return for another Season. We can just hope he will get bored again and start another Show.
  • Great first half, poor conclusion.

7.9
    When the episode began, I felt like things were picking up from where they left off following the "Ski Lift" (this season's best effort). Larry's discovery that he was Gentile, and subsequent behavior, was a great juxtaposition to his earlier efforts of emulating an Orthodox Jew.

However, the episode took a familiar turn during Larry's death sequence. The rehashing of all of the old jokes and characters from the series was very reminiscent of the series finale of Seinfeld, when all of the old faces were brought back for the trial. That sequence, coupled with the cliche heaven scene, made me wonder if this was the end of the series. Was Curb going out the same disappointing way as Seinfled? I hope not, but I guess I'll just have to wait patiently for news on Season 6.
  • When told he is adopted, Larry visits his new parents and has a life changing experience. And when he donates a kidney to Richard Lewis, he gets a preview of the after-life.

When told he is adopted, Larry visits his new parents and has a life changing experience. And when he donates a kidney to Richard Lewis, he gets a preview of the after-life. Unfortunatly, he is the same old Larry to his heavenly guides (Dustin Hoffman, Sacha Baron Cohen) and proves he'll never change. Funny, as usual, but the ending is really not up to par. Classic.
TVLAND