Cyberchase

PBS Kids

Cyberchase Fan Reviews (32)

• Better than most of the shows PBS has released as of late and a helluva lot more intelligent.

Ever since 2002 when it first premiered, "Cyberchase" has been a great fandom of mine, and that's saying something since I don't usually watch PBS Kids. At all. At least until this show premiered, anyway.

At first I was a rather cock-eyed critic of it, mainly because I was 12 at the time and classified a lot of children's shows as "stupid" or "boring" (yeah, typical behavior there). But this show somehow managed to strike a different chord with me. I don't really know why. Perhaps it was the funky "retro" animation that brought back fond memories of so many great children's shows of the past that I watched as a kid, maybe it was the non-stereotyped heroes, or maybe it was the adorable characters. But either way, whatever it was, I was immediately drawn into it. It also helped me understand math better through fun and entertainment, which pretty much got me through middle school with a good straight-A record (math was my worst subject, always has been).

Not only does it feature the voices of Christopher Lloyd--whom I knew as Judge Doom from Rodger Rabbit--and Gilbert Gottfried, who I easily recognized as Iago from Aladdin, it also sticks to the old-school style of cartoons, despite its modernized setting. There are many pratfalls to be had and all sticking along classic lines of comedy, plus a few jokes thrown in here and there. There are even a few adult ones once in a while, which I find a refreshing change. Many shows today are too busy trying to appeal to "real-life" issues, but Cyberchase just sticks to good, clean fun and education. Not only that, it also doesn't insult the viewers' intelligence like most kids' shows do; it even uses words that I had to look up in the dictionary. It appeals to everyone--adults love it, teens love it, and kids adore it! No wonder it's one of the highest-rated children's shows on television. True, there are people who dislike it (such as the guy below me) but they're usually pretty dense (see previous). It's not a kids' show that can just be kicked aside like so many of the kids' shows today.

So give it a try, and chances are, after a few episodes, you won't be disappointed.