D. Gray-Man Forums

TV Tokyo (ended 2008)

Do you guys think it is likely that Allen will die at the end of the series?

knowledgeseeker

[1]Oct 12, 2008
    • level: 21

I will be perfectly blunt about this, and I think it is about a 50-50 chance either way. With everything that Allen is going through and everything that he has gone through, I could see it being the death of him. Of course, you can easily say that he has been through so much that he deserves a happy ending.

Due to his personality and his virtues, I could easily see Allen sacrificing his life to kill the Millenium Earl and putting an end to his plans. I can also see Allen helping everyone achieve victory and living through it. Then he would be able to live a normal life that he has helped many other people continue to live (that would include having a relationship with Lenalee).

I even think it is possible for Allen to go through something similar to what Harry Potter and Cloud went through as well and go into a death like state and recover.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

ClamRoutine

[2]Oct 13, 2008
    • level: 19
    I'm actually wondering what will happen to all the exorcists after the Earl is defeated. There'll be no new akuma, so they will be basically out of work?
    It's as big a chance of him dying at the end as to the chance of surviving. The way this series deal with deaths, anyone could die at the end.

knowledgeseeker

[3]Oct 13, 2008
    ClamRoutine wrote:
    I'm actually wondering what will happen to all the exorcists after the Earl is defeated. There'll be no new akuma, so they will be basically out of work?
    It's as big a chance of him dying at the end as to the chance of surviving. The way this series deal with deaths, anyone could die at the end.

So I guess we are in agreement that Allen's chances of survival are a little iffy.

Well, it has been stated that the Order does have a lot of money, so I guess the Order would be able to help the Exorsists settle down into normal lives. However, I think the Order would continue onward for any other potential works of the devil, and they will probably keep tabs on the Exorcists just in case.

jbones31874

[4]Nov 1, 2008
    • level: 6

I would think so. Allen is suggested to be the opposite of the Earl. Allen is the whitefaced clown, Earl is the Auguste clown. Earl makes demons, Allen slays demons. Both Earl and Allen have similar swords.

But what i think is more likely is Koumi or Lenalee will die and the Earl turns one of them into a demon near the end of the series. I think the storyline is forgetting the Earl's true powers, and that is to use one's grief to turn their loved one into a demon. Koumi and Lenalee care so much about each other, and it could be an exploit for the Earl. If Lenalee turns into an akuma, Koumi could try to use her innocence in an attempt to purify her but it will backfire and akuma-Lenalee will corrupt the innocence thus turning her into an akuma powered by corrupted innocence. If Koumi turns into an akuma, Lenalee will try to free him under the Earl's control somehow but it will fail and they will be forced to fight each other.

knowledgeseeker

[5]Nov 1, 2008
    jbones31874 wrote:

I would think so. Allen is suggested to be the opposite of the Earl. Allen is the whitefaced clown, Earl is the Auguste clown. Earl makes demons, Allen slays demons. Both Earl and Allen have similar swords.

But what i think is more likely is Koumi or Lenalee will die and the Earl turns one of them into a demon near the end of the series. I think the storyline is forgetting the Earl's true powers, and that is to use one's grief to turn their loved one into a demon. Koumi and Lenalee care so much about each other, and it could be an exploit for the Earl. If Lenalee turns into an akuma, Koumi could try to use her innocence in an attempt to purify her but it will backfire and akuma-Lenalee will corrupt the innocence thus turning her into an akuma powered by corrupted innocence. If Koumi turns into an akuma, Lenalee will try to free him under the Earl's control somehow but it will fail and they will be forced to fight each other.

I will definitely say that you have a very interesting theory right there. That is something that could easily happen. However, I do think Lenalee and Komui could be one of the exceptions that would be able to move with their lives afterwards. Despite Komui's sister-complex and wacky antics, he has shown some very strong character throughout the series. Lenalee has shown to be depressed before (such as when she thought Allen died) however she was eventually able to recover. With all that in mind, I can honestly say that neither of them are a for sure thing, but either way is possible.

jbones31874

[6]Nov 1, 2008

Both Koumi and Lenalee know that calling back the dead from the Earl creates a akuma. That is why if they were going to make a deal with the Earl they will have some kind of scheme to let the Earl call them back and them once their soul is called back attempt to free them from the Earl's control. I think there is a higher chance that Lenalee will die and Koumi will be the one who calls back her soul instead of the other-way around because Lenalee's death will be more dramatic since the audience/readers is more attached with her character, and also because her innocence can possibly save her from turning into an akuma. Also Koumi is a scientist and can possibly discover a way to free souls from their akuma, kinda like how Cross can modify akuma to be good.

So hypothetically if Lenalee dies and her innocence is spared, Koumi can fall into a depression and resign as chief since he has lost his reason for being part of the Order. He goes into the science section to research akuma and innocence, and comes across the idea that innocence of its host can free a person's soul to their akuma-bind. He then takes Lenalee's innocence and meets secretly with the Earl, and he calls back his sister's soul. Then he feeds Lenalee's innocence into the akuma skeleton that Lenalee's soul has been called back to, thinking her innocence will give her the power to break the akuma that binds her. To make it suspenseful the writers will probably make it as though Koumi was successful, however the Earl starts laughing and Lenalee's innocence starts to get corrupted and she quickly evolves into a unique akuma that draws its power from the corrupted innocence. Allen's eye will go berserk and will save Koumi before akuma-Lenalee kills him, and then Allen and which ever exorcist are still alive/around will have to fight their toughest foe yet, especially since it was one of their own. To stop Lenalee, hypothetically Koumi can sacrifice his life to save Allen's and this can reawaken Lenalee's innocence after she realizes she began destroying everything she cherished most, thus allowing her to successful break free of the akuma that binds her, yet adding to the drama.

However, if Lenalee is the heart, the this probably can't happen. But we still don't know who's innocence is the heart still.

Another dramatic plot they can do is kill Allen again, but leave it a complete mystery whether he is alive or not. Then have Lenalee get the Earl in attempt to call back his soul however, nothing happens because Allen is not actually dead.

knowledgeseeker

[7]Nov 1, 2008
    jbones31874 wrote:

Both Koumi and Lenalee know that calling back the dead from the Earl creates a akuma. That is why if they were going to make a deal with the Earl they will have some kind of scheme to let the Earl call them back and them once their soul is called back attempt to free them from the Earl's control. I think there is a higher chance that Lenalee will die and Koumi will be the one who calls back her soul instead of the other-way around because Lenalee's death will be more dramatic since the audience/readers is more attached with her character, and also because her innocence can possibly save her from turning into an akuma. Also Koumi is a scientist and can possibly discover a way to free souls from their akuma, kinda like how Cross can modify akuma to be good.

So hypothetically if Lenalee dies and her innocence is spared, Koumi can fall into a depression and resign as chief since he has lost his reason for being part of the Order. He goes into the science section to research akuma and innocence, and comes across the idea that innocence of its host can free a person's soul to their akuma-bind. He then takes Lenalee's innocence and meets secretly with the Earl, and he calls back his sister's soul. Then he feeds Lenalee's innocence into the akuma skeleton that Lenalee's soul has been called back to, thinking her innocence will give her the power to break the akuma that binds her. To make it suspenseful the writers will probably make it as though Koumi was successful, however the Earl starts laughing and Lenalee's innocence starts to get corrupted and she quickly evolves into a unique akuma that draws its power from the corrupted innocence. Allen's eye will go berserk and will save Koumi before akuma-Lenalee kills him, and then Allen and which ever exorcist are still alive/around will have to fight their toughest foe yet, especially since it was one of their own. To stop Lenalee, hypothetically Koumi can sacrifice his life to save Allen's and this can reawaken Lenalee's innocence after she realizes she began destroying everything she cherished most, thus allowing her to successful break free of the akuma that binds her, yet adding to the drama.

However, if Lenalee is the heart, the this probably can't happen. But we still don't know who's innocence is the heart still.

Another dramatic plot they can do is kill Allen again, but leave it a complete mystery whether he is alive or not. Then have Lenalee get the Earl in attempt to call back his soul however, nothing happens because Allen is not actually dead.

You are a very deep thinker and I like that. It could potentially make a decent to a great story depending on certain factors, such as the pacing of the story, character development, and trying to make it not sound derivative. However, I find it doubtful that Mrs. Katsura would go in that direction.

Since Allen was already assumed dead at an earlier point in the series, I think we need to wait a little while before that can happen again. However, after a few story arcs and possibly a deeper development in character relationships, I think it could become more impactful.

I could see Allen being assumed dead as a result of the final battle, and he eventually comes back. Some other shows have done that, but most of them have done it in different ways that make it unique in its own way.

Edited on 11/01/2008 8:49pm

Ayane_Isuzu

[8]Feb 17, 2009
    We are so used to a "Hollywood ending", the hero and main characters survive, Allen and Lenalee get married, have kids and everyone lives happily (more or less) ever after.
    OTOH: A tragic or bittersweet ending is very Japanese and would probably feel truer to real life than the happy ending everyone wants for characters they have "bonded" with.
    I DO want Allen to succeed in killing the Earl, as the prophesized "Destroyer of Time", he could do a Harry Potter (or even a Gandalf), die and come back stronger than ever and wipe the Earl and the Noah family off the face of the earth. (whoops, sorry for the run-on sentence there). But that is just my theory and I'm usually wrong (have a terrible track record of predicting what will happen in the FMA manga).

knowledgeseeker

[9]Apr 17, 2009
    Based on what has happened in the past few chapters, it does seem like more bad stuff regarding the 14th Noah will be coming back to hit him hard. Real hard.

amber_jahn

[10]Apr 18, 2009
    • level: 12
    It didnt look like Allen was aware that the 14th popped up during their last battle with the level 4...so if they are two separate "souls" you would think that there would be a a way to separate/or remove one from the other without killing the original person...

knowledgeseeker

[11]Apr 22, 2009
    amber_jahn wrote:
    It didnt look like Allen was aware that the 14th popped up during their last battle with the level 4...so if they are two separate "souls" you would think that there would be a a way to separate/or remove one from the other without killing the original person...

You might be right that Allen was not aware the 14th took over. However, I think Allen is aware now that having the 14th Noah in him has plenty of downsides. It is also a matter of time until Allen begins to notice a few more things that are wrong.

The only people who seem to have noticed that the 14th is getting more of a grip on him are Kanda and Lenalee, but it seems like they are keep it themselves because they know it might cause Allen more trouble if the higher-ups found out.

Ayane_Isuzu

[12]Apr 25, 2009
    Leverrier or Rouvellier (however it's spelled) already wants to put him on trial for heresy. If he were to find out the 14th was getting more of a grip on Allen, he could arrange for his life to become VERY unpleasant.

knowledgeseeker

[13]May 19, 2009
    Ayane_Isuzu wrote:
    Leverrier or Rouvellier (however it's spelled) already wants to put him on trial for heresy. If he were to find out the 14th was getting more of a grip on Allen, he could arrange for his life to become VERY unpleasant.

I think it is very possible and possibly inevitable that he will find out. Then maybe it will trigger a story arc where Lenalee and the others may try to save Allen or Allen may try to runaway. I know Allen is not the type to run away, but he also does not plan on dying until he saves all the akuma and kills the Earl.

Ayane_Isuzu

[14]Jun 17, 2009
    Allen running away would be dicey for a few reasons:

1) He's not the type to run away. No matter how hopeless a situation is, Allen tends to either stay and fight, or charge right into battle.

2)Lenalee tried to run away from the Order, but she never got very far. In a manga flashback, Leverrier (whatever) says "Foolish girl, don't you realize you can't run away from the Black Order?"

3) Allen is already in Leverrier's cross hairs because of what Cross revealed. That is why Link is there to watch him. His real job is probably to kill Allen once the 14th makes his final bid to take over Allen's mind.

I'm probably just repeating what everyone already knows. In that case, just ignore my babblings.

knowledgeseeker

[15]Jul 8, 2009
    Ayane_Isuzu wrote:
    Allen running away would be dicey for a few reasons:

1) He's not the type to run away. No matter how hopeless a situation is, Allen tends to either stay and fight, or charge right into battle.

2)Lenalee tried to run away from the Order, but she never got very far. In a manga flashback, Leverrier (whatever) says "Foolish girl, don't you realize you can't run away from the Black Order?"

3) Allen is already in Leverrier's cross hairs because of what Cross revealed. That is why Link is there to watch him. His real job is probably to kill Allen once the 14th makes his final bid to take over Allen's mind.

I'm probably just repeating what everyone already knows. In that case, just ignore my babblings.

To be fair about the running away thing. It is true that Allen would not runaway under most circumstances, but he is also not the type to simply let himself get killed either. Also, Lenalee did try to runaway from the order when she was younger and did not have much power. It is possible that she would have a better chance if she tried now (although since she has become friends with so many of the people she would not do that now).

While it is true that Link probably has orders to kill Allen if necessary, I would like to think that Link may see that Allen is not a bad person. After all, he did seem concerned for Allen when Allen was injured by his own innocence.

ChocolateMilk81

[16]Jan 3, 2010
    • level: 10
    I'd cry sooo much if he died... I'm crying now just at the thought!!!

knowledgeseeker

[17]Feb 6, 2010
    ChocolateMilk81 wrote:
    I'd cry sooo much if he died... I'm crying now just at the thought!!!
    It would be extremely sad for Allen to die. He is my favorite character after all, and he is a protagonist that fans do not really seem to complain about either.

ChocolateMilk81

[18]Mar 12, 2010
    • level: 10

True. I don't think anyone would have any major complaints about the character he is. He's a suitable hero and is a very well done character! I love him! Aw. I hope no major character dies, but that's just me. I only just finishedvol 10 of the manga, and I love it so much, so if anyone dies from now on... well, the fact that it looked like Kanda died, but I know he doesn't, right... but, yeah, I'd be surprised if anyone dies, especially someone like Kanda or Lenalee, etc. Anyways, still... it might have a slight chance Allen could die. Hope not.