D. Gray-Man Forums

TV Tokyo (ended 2008)

Not getting credit

peligro49

[1]Oct 28, 2007
    • level: 7

this show is way better then a lot of other yet we dont here much about it

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

ensatsu-ken

[2]Oct 29, 2007
    • level: 19
    peligro49 wrote:

this show is way better then a lot of other yet we dont here much about it

Because people are too interested in seeing more popular anime, rather than looking into less popular, yet very good, anime, that not as many people talk about. Therefore, the unpopular anime will stay unpopular, unless it is somehow marketed towards a larger audience through a form of mass media.

peligro49

[3]Oct 29, 2007
    true but this anima is still way better then some other popular one's

ensatsu-ken

[4]Nov 1, 2007
    peligro49 wrote:

Hey, I agree with you wholeheartedly, but that's just the sad truth of the matter. Most people will only prefer to watch what is getting all of the hype, which leaves awesome series such as D. Gray-Man, Yu Yu Hakusho, Rurouni Kenshin, and many other great titles, to get smaller scraps of fans, making these series very underrated, and underappreciated.

peligro49

[5]Nov 2, 2007
    yea good point

peligro49

[6]Nov 3, 2007
    i still think it deserves more credit

ensatsu-ken

[7]Nov 4, 2007
    peligro49 wrote:
    i still think it deserves more credit

So do I . Well, maybe once the anime gets licensed and dubbed, and if it is aired on AS, then it may really rise in popularity. However, for now, if you want to see more fans for DGM, just do what I do with YYH, as well as with DGM, and recommend it to lots of people. Get the name out there. Then, when some people are looking for a new anime to watch, the name "D. Gray-Man," may pop into their heads, and they might think something like, "Oh yeah, I heard that this anime is supposed to be pretty good, so maybe I should check it out" .

Keep in mind that a lot of people may just ignore you suggestion, but its worth it, as long as you're able to get at least 1 more person into it, which is 1 more fan for this series. Then, you can continue to try ang get more people into the show, but that person can help out as well, and you can rince and repeat this method. You'll be bound to get at least a few more fans this way. It may be a slow process, but I have done it with Yu Yu Hakusho, and I have seen at least a dozen people by now, who have gotten into the show rather recently. So, if you really think it deserves more credit, then spread the word that its a very good show.

Although, on that note, to be honest, I felt that everything after the first 27-30 episodes, is mediocre, mainly because its all filler. I like the manga much better, because it continues the story without any of the annoying fillers. So, I would recommend people to watch the beginning of the anime, and read the manga, or just skip the fillers (shich I believe have already ended, or are at least close to ending). Or you could just suggest that people read the manga instead of having to deal with any filler episodes from the manga .

Well, that is the way in which you can increase the shows popularity. So, if you'r serious about it, then just do what I do, and get its name out there .

peligro49

[8]Nov 4, 2007
    yea i will get its name out thier

Darketernal777

[9]Nov 6, 2007

ensatsu-ken wrote:
    peligro49 wrote:
    Hey, I agree with you wholeheartedly, but that's just the sad truth of the matter. Most people will only prefer to watch what is getting all of the hype, which leaves awesome series such as D. Gray-Man, Yu Yu Hakusho, Rurouni Kenshin, and many other great titles, to get smaller scraps of fans, making these series very underrated, and underappreciated.

I wouldnt necessarily group Yu yu hakusho in the same popularity zone as D gray man, and ESPECIALLY not Rurouni Kenshin. As far as the show, Yu yu Hakusho had a long time running on toonami, which was right in the spotlight bracket where everyone between the ages of 6 and 30 could sit down and watch that show.

Secondly, as far as the show, Rurouni Kenshin was ill received by fans simply because it's such a "japanese" show/style of writing/story in general, and when you mix horrible dubbing with horrible dub actors trying to pronounce complex japanese kanji, it gets really nasty. As far as the RK is concerned, even the back of the manga says that it's one of the world's most loved manga series". Not the nation's, the world's. Rurouni kenshin, the manga and anime, are translated in other asian countries, europe, south america and obviously here in north america. Soo....global popularity is not the same grouping as even Yu Yu Hakusho, and YYH is much more popular than D Gray man.

I really like D Gray man (the manga, never watched the show. Probably wouldn't care to, either, if it's behind the manga) but I suppose it's problem is that it's still isolated in Japan. If they would market this on adult swim and get it a half an hour block, I'm sure the manga sales would jump and so would the ratings from the show, and therefore it's popularity. If they're jumping into fillers or filler arcs after just 30 episodes, then I can see why they havent released this to foreign markets yet. This manga has a lot of potential, and I'd love to see it smack the $&!+ out of some eyesores like blood plus or eureka 7 or some other shows that take up perfectly useful air time on adult swim, for instance. I mean, honestly. Trinity Blood I would've loved if the series was more tangible, and was actually complete, and perhaps following the manga. I know the artist died, but still, don't butcher it like what they did to samurai deeper kyo and others.

BTW, since you seem to know quite a bit about YYH, what's the deal with the show versus the manga? It seems that the manga has yet to release more volumes, and yet the show ended the series with the three kings saga. Was that filler/anime nonsense to just complete the anime because the manga was too far behind, or what? I'd really love to read the manga if it has a different ending, cuz I didn't like the three kings saga at all.

ensatsu-ken

[10]Nov 6, 2007

Darketernal777 wrote:

ensatsu-ken wrote:
    peligro49 wrote:

I wouldnt necessarily group Yu yu hakusho in the same popularity zone as D gray man, and ESPECIALLY not Rurouni Kenshin. As far as the show, Yu yu Hakusho had a long time running on toonami, which was right in the spotlight bracket where everyone between the ages of 6 and 30 could sit down and watch that show.

Secondly, as far as the show, Rurouni Kenshin was ill received by fans simply because it's such a "japanese" show/style of writing/story in general, and when you mix horrible dubbing with horrible dub actors trying to pronounce complex japanese kanji, it gets really nasty. As far as the RK is concerned, even the back of the manga says that it's one of the world's most loved manga series". Not the nation's, the world's. Rurouni kenshin, the manga and anime, are translated in other asian countries, europe, south america and obviously here in north america. Soo....global popularity is not the same grouping as even Yu Yu Hakusho, and YYH is much more popular than D Gray man.

I really like D Gray man (the manga, never watched the show. Probably wouldn't care to, either, if it's behind the manga) but I suppose it's problem is that it's still isolated in Japan. If they would market this on adult swim and get it a half an hour block, I'm sure the manga sales would jump and so would the ratings from the show, and therefore it's popularity. If they're jumping into fillers or filler arcs after just 30 episodes, then I can see why they havent released this to foreign markets yet. This manga has a lot of potential, and I'd love to see it smack the $&!+ out of some eyesores like blood plus or eureka 7 or some other shows that take up perfectly useful air time on adult swim, for instance. I mean, honestly. Trinity Blood I would've loved if the series was more tangible, and was actually complete, and perhaps following the manga. I know the artist died, but still, don't butcher it like what they did to samurai deeper kyo and others.

BTW, since you seem to know quite a bit about YYH, what's the deal with the show versus the manga? It seems that the manga has yet to release more volumes, and yet the show ended the series with the three kings saga. Was that filler/anime nonsense to just complete the anime because the manga was too far behind, or what? I'd really love to read the manga if it has a different ending, cuz I didn't like the three kings saga at all.

I personally like the 3 Kings Saga a lot. I just felt that it was a bit too rushed. And before I answer your question, let me just explain that there are different levels of popularity. YYH was popular back in its day, and had a fair amount of popularity during its run on Toonami. However, it has very limited popularity today, and even though the name is, to some extent, well known, many people underrate the series by judging it off of an outside glance, or off of very few episodes, mainly because its a much older series, and not too many people are willing to give it a chance. Therefore, a good deal of people who know of YYH's existence, will call it complete crap, without even having seen very much, or any, of it, at all.

Now, as for your question, the ending in the anime is very loyal to the ending in the manga. Also, it is actually done better in the anime, IMO, because the ending to the manga was even more rushed (in terms of the tournament aspect of it). YYH is only still releasing volumes in the U.S., as well as various other countries, BTW. It was completed at least a few months before the anime ended, in Japan. As for the manga, there are certain parts that were in it, mainly in the beginning, and in the end, as well as a few in the middle, that were cut out in the anime. However, those were mainly side stories. Also, the anime made up for that by adding in some filler material, which was surprisngly great, to the extent in which it didn't really feel like filler material at all .

As for the extra parts, those were mainly side stories, althoug hilarious ones at that. There was one really funny side story at the end of the manga, which I recall, in which Yusuke had to dress up as a girl, in order to gain access to an all girl's high school, or college, I can't really remember which, lol . But, at any rate, you weren't missing much in watching the anime, because those side stories would probably feel like fillers anyways, in comparsion to the main story line of the arcs, even though they were pretty fun to read.

Other than that, the ending was almost exactly the same, with the exception that Genkai had actually passed away at the end of the manga, with the group reading her will, whereas she was still alive at the end of the anime. Also, Yusuke was with the groups during the beginning of that chapter, and unlike in the last episode, you didn't have to wait until the end for him to make an appearance. However, other than that, after they go to the Beach, the ending scene is exactly the same in both the manga and the anime.

Although, the last panel of the manga, which was not shown in the anime, was pretty cool, in that it showed a photograph/picture of the traditional/classic YYH team of 4, consisting of Yususke, Kuwabara, Kurama, and Hiei, drifting to the ground. It was a nice way to end the manga, seeing as how much importance was put on their friendship, specifically .

Well, with that said, I hope that I have successfully answered your question for you .

Darketernal777

[11]Nov 6, 2007
    ensatsu-ken wrote:

Darketernal777 wrote:

ensatsu-ken wrote:
    peligro49 wrote:

I personally like the 3 Kings Saga a lot. I just felt that it was a bit too rushed. And before I answer your question, let me just explain that there are different levels of popularity. YYH was popular back in its day, and had a fair amount of popularity during its run on Toonami. However, it has very limited popularity today, and even though the name is, to some extent, well known, many people underrate the series by judging it off of an outside glance, or off of very few episodes, mainly because its a much older series, and not too many people are willing to give it a chance. Therefore, a good deal of people who know of YYH's existence, will call it complete crap, without even having seen very much, or any, of it, at all.

Now, as for your question, the ending in the anime is very loyal to the ending in the manga. Also, it is actually done better in the anime, IMO, because the ending to the manga was even more rushed (in terms of the tournament aspect of it). YYH is only still releasing volumes in the U.S., as well as various other countries, BTW. It was completed at least a few months before the anime ended, in Japan. As for the manga, there are certain parts that were in it, mainly in the beginning, and in the end, as well as a few in the middle, that were cut out in the anime. However, those were mainly side stories. Also, the anime made up for that by adding in some filler material, which was surprisngly great, to the extent in which it didn't really feel like filler material at all .

As for the extra parts, those were mainly side stories, althoug hilarious ones at that. There was one really funny side story at the end of the manga, which I recall, in which Yusuke had to dress up as a girl, in order to gain access to an all girl's high school, or college, I can't really remember which, lol . But, at any rate, you weren't missing much in watching the anime, because those side stories would probably feel like fillers anyways, in comparsion to the main story line of the arcs, even though they were pretty fun to read.

Other than that, the ending was almost exactly the same, with the exception that Genkai had actually passed away at the end of the manga, with the group reading her will, whereas she was still alive at the end of the anime. Also, Yusuke was with the groups during the beginning of that chapter, and unlike in the last episode, you didn't have to wait until the end for him to make an appearance. However, other than that, after they go to the Beach, the ending scene is exactly the same in both the manga and the anime.

Although, the last panel of the manga, which was not shown in the anime, was pretty cool, in that it showed a photograph/picture of the traditional/classic YYH team of 4, consisting of Yususke, Kuwabara, Kurama, and Hiei, drifting to the ground. It was a nice way to end the manga, seeing as how much importance was put on their friendship, specifically .

Well, with that said, I hope that I have successfully answered your question for you .

Cool, thanks a lot, I was always wondering about the difference. Anyways, I know what you mean about popularity, Zodiac Knights I heard was very popular in it's day but now almost no one knows about it. Very few old mangas/animes pass the test of time, like Dragonball Z and other such levels of popularity. Rurouni Kenshin, however, is suprisingly popular around the world. I mean, last time I was in Mexico (thispast August)they had RK running in spanish dub on one of their primetime channels. The manga is really popular, both in Japan and around the world, with the anime being less popular, yet still having a global presence. I wish they'd have finished the anime with the Jinchu arc from the manga, not some hack filler arc with some nonsense sidestories copied and pasted together by some third-rate intern.

BTW, one last thing about YYH: Why is it that when Bleach was first released it was passed off as being too similar to YYH? Why do some critics of bleach also accuse it of being close to YYH both in it's beginning and in it's middle/end? Past the way the first setup works, I didn't really see any similarity to YYH, other than the energy they use to explain the superpowers/moves (a useless point, every manga has this) and the fact that they have spiritual artifacts to facilitate some plot advances (gigai, hogyoku,etc)

Edited on 11/06/2007 9:20pm

ensatsu-ken

[12]Nov 7, 2007
    Darketernal777 wrote:
    ensatsu-ken wrote:

Darketernal777 wrote:

ensatsu-ken wrote:
    peligro49 wrote:

Cool, thanks a lot, I was always wondering about the difference. Anyways, I know what you mean about popularity, Zodiac Knights I heard was very popular in it's day but now almost no one knows about it. Very few old mangas/animes pass the test of time, like Dragonball Z and other such levels of popularity. Rurouni Kenshin, however, is suprisingly popular around the world. I mean, last time I was in Mexico (thispast August)they had RK running in spanish dub on one of their primetime channels. The manga is really popular, both in Japan and around the world, with the anime being less popular, yet still having a global presence. I wish they'd have finished the anime with the Jinchu arc from the manga, not some hack filler arc with some nonsense sidestories copied and pasted together by some third-rate intern.

BTW, one last thing about YYH: Why is it that when Bleach was first released it was passed off as being too similar to YYH? Why do some critics of bleach also accuse it of being close to YYH both in it's beginning and in it's middle/end? Past the way the first setup works, I didn't really see any similarity to YYH, other than the energy they use to explain the superpowers/moves (a useless point, every manga has this) and the fact that they have spiritual artifacts to facilitate some plot advances (gigai, hogyoku,etc)

I agree with you completely on Rurouni Kenshin. The Jinchuu/Revenge arc was just great, and if it had been animated, than RK would be one of the best anime ever made, IMO.

As for Bleach and YYH, I'm kind of surprised that you're asking that question to me. If I'm not mistaken, wasn't it you who posted that thread listing many of the simillarities between YYH ? There were quite a lot of simillarities listed on that thread, but even so, I can see what you mean. At any rate, the reason why some people call Bleach a rip-off of YYH, is because they are just pissed off that its so popular, and feel that its overrated (although I must admit, I myself feel that Bleach is at least a tad bit overrated these days, but still fairly good). Anyways, Bleach is not a rip-off of YYH, and we both know that. So, just ignore the other people who claim that it is a rip-off, because they are most usually just people who don't like the series, and therefore give biased comments like that, towards it.

peligro49

[13]Nov 7, 2007
    personally it makes no diffrence to me

Darketernal777

[14]Nov 8, 2007
    ensatsu-ken wrote:
    Darketernal777 wrote:
    ensatsu-ken wrote:

Darketernal777 wrote:

ensatsu-ken wrote:
    peligro49 wrote:

I agree with you completely on Rurouni Kenshin. The Jinchuu/Revenge arc was just great, and if it had been animated, than RK would be one of the best anime ever made, IMO. As for Bleach and YYH, I'm kind of surprised that you're asking that question to me. If I'm not mistaken, wasn't it you who posted that thread listing many of the simillarities between YYH ? There were quite a lot of simillarities listed on that thread, but even so, I can see what you mean. At any rate, the reason why some people call Bleach a rip-off of YYH, is because they are just pissed off that its so popular, and feel that its overrated (although I must admit, I myself feel that Bleach is at least a tad bit overrated these days, but still fairly good). Anyways, Bleach is not a rip-off of YYH, and we both know that. So, just ignore the other people who claim that it is a rip-off, because they are most usually just people who don't like the series, and therefore give biased comments like that, towards it.

Yeah, I was, it's just that you can find the same similarities between YYH and Bleach between many other series.

For instance, take D Gray man. A group of people clad in black clothing (Exorcists) have a sacred mission to eradicate the world of the main group of monster antagonists (Akuma), which are human souls mistakenly revived by humans, using the main villain's powers. The only way to get rid of said antagonists is to fight them using spiritual weapons called innocence. Everyone has their own innocence, and in order to use this innocence you have to "release" or "invocate" the innocence. These weapons have various forms for various people, and they have levels of growth. Each of them has their own name, their own state of release, etc.

So, looking at it from just the premise, this show seems an awful lot like Bleach, which seems an awful lot like YYH. However, once you read the story and get into it the storyline's completely different from bleach or any other manga for that matter, and I suppose that's all that matters. I, too, am writing a manga and plan to have transforming spiritual weapons in mine (for one group, another group I'm still working on) and it seems that the only thing that matters is not your setup, but your story and how it all develops.

My question about bleach being a rip-off of YYH to you was that, when kubo first submitted YYH to shonen jump, the guys at shonen jump rejected it because they said it was too similar to YYH. Do you know what their reasons were? Or where I can read about what their reasons were? When you look up kubo in wiki or whatever, it doesnt talk much about that.

ensatsu-ken

[15]Nov 8, 2007
    Darketernal777 wrote:
    My question about bleach being a rip-off of YYH to you was that, when kubo first submitted YYH to shonen jump, the guys at shonen jump rejected it because they said it was too similar to YYH. Do you know what their reasons were? Or where I can read about what their reasons were? When you look up kubo in wiki or whatever, it doesnt talk much about that.

When Kubo initially submitted his first draft of his 1st chapter of Bleach to Shounen Jump, it was rejected for bearing too much resemblance to Yu Yu Hakusho. A little while later, Kubo resubmitted his pilot chapter of Bleach, but this time with many revisions, and it was then accepted. So, the fans have only seen the revised edition of the 1st chapter of Bleach. I don't know what the original pilot chapter was like, or if it can even be found anywhere (and if so, it would probably be a rare doujinshi that could only be found in raw form), but that was supposedly what was too simillar to YYH, since that's the reason SJ gave for initially rejecting it.

Darketernal777

[16]Nov 8, 2007

Ah, I see. I figured something like that, since the first chapter doesn't really resemble much at all to YYH. Is that what the SJ qualifications are to be published? They do it all based on your first chapter?

Anyway, I do believe D Gray man could be much more popular, the only problem, I think, is that the antagonists are a little poorly done. For instance, the akuma, the explanation of how they come about is rather shoddy, and the threat that they pose is equally lackluster. Sure, the Earl's plot is vile and can threaten the world, but his tools aren't all that menacing. Likewise, I think the artwork on the akuma is a little too complicated, and I think that hinders DGM's popularity. In all other manga, the antagonists are clearly drawn, without too much complication.

For instance, in YYH, the demons are all relatively simply drawn, and the villains, for the most part, are either human or very human-like.

In Bleach, the hollows are really simple constructs in that they all bear the mask, and past the mask you can get creative with their shapes and abilities, still relatively simple.

In Naruto, everyone's a ninja, so whether they're good, bad or in between, whether they transform or not or whatever, it's still simple artwork.

DBZ, same thing. The enemies are all either saiyans or humanoid looking enemies.

Full Metal Alchemist, again, same thing. Homonculi, they're all humanoid looking until they transform, but first impressions are always the ones that count, and at first glance, they're humanoid with simple artwork.

RK, yeah it's historical fiction, but again, successful because the enemies are human or humanoid (in that dude with the claw's case)

Inuyasha, same thing. All the demons either look like those serpant things that fly in the swarm, humanoid like Naraku, Sesshomaru and all their underlings, or slight variations on spiders, horses, bulls, normal things. Again, simple is successful.

All really successful manga have humanoid like antagonists, or antagonists who, if arent really humanoid, have simple drawings. In D gray man, the akuma are really complicated, in terms of artwork, and that can really hinder popularity. People don't like taking a minute out of their reading time to figure out where the head is, the arms, the legs and so on (if the thing has any legs or arms at all, since most of them are really discombobulated weird-looking things, or those stupid spheres with cannons coming out of them). Simplicity is the evidence of the most advanced practices, and if D Gray Man's mainstay antagonists were simplified in their appearance, I think it'd be much more marketable. Oh well. I would probably have dragon gods as the main antagonists in my manga, but still, dragons are much easier to render even in several variations than akuma, especially when you make humanoid looking dragons.

Darketernal777

[17]Nov 8, 2007

Ah, I see. I figured something like that, since the first chapter doesn't really resemble much at all to YYH. Is that what the SJ qualifications are to be published? They do it all based on your first chapter?

Anyway, I do believe D Gray man could be much more popular, the only problem, I think, is that the antagonists are a little poorly done. For instance, the akuma, the explanation of how they come about is rather shoddy, and the threat that they pose is equally lackluster. Sure, the Earl's plot is vile and can threaten the world, but his tools aren't all that menacing. Likewise, I think the artwork on the akuma is a little too complicated, and I think that hinders DGM's popularity. In all other manga, the antagonists are clearly drawn, without too much complication.

For instance, in YYH, the demons are all relatively simply drawn, and the villains, for the most part, are either human or very human-like.

In Bleach, the hollows are really simple constructs in that they all bear the mask, and past the mask you can get creative with their shapes and abilities, still relatively simple.

In Naruto, everyone's a ninja, so whether they're good, bad or in between, whether they transform or not or whatever, it's still simple artwork.

DBZ, same thing. The enemies are all either saiyans or humanoid looking enemies.

Full Metal Alchemist, again, same thing. Homonculi, they're all humanoid looking until they transform, but first impressions are always the ones that count, and at first glance, they're humanoid with simple artwork.

RK, yeah it's historical fiction, but again, successful because the enemies are human or humanoid (in that dude with the claw's case)

Inuyasha, same thing. All the demons either look like those serpant things that fly in the swarm, humanoid like Naraku, Sesshomaru and all their underlings, or slight variations on spiders, horses, bulls, normal things. Again, simple is successful.

All really successful manga have humanoid like antagonists, or antagonists who, if arent really humanoid, have simple drawings. In D gray man, the akuma are really complicated, in terms of artwork, and that can really hinder popularity. People don't like taking a minute out of their reading time to figure out where the head is, the arms, the legs and so on (if the thing has any legs or arms at all, since most of them are really discombobulated weird-looking things, or those stupid spheres with cannons coming out of them). Simplicity is the evidence of the most advanced practices, and if D Gray Man's mainstay antagonists were simplified in their appearance, I think it'd be much more marketable. Oh well. I would probably have dragon gods as the main antagonists in my manga, but still, dragons are much easier to render even in several variations than akuma, especially when you make humanoid looking dragons.

ensatsu-ken

[18]Nov 8, 2007
    Darketernal777 wrote:

That's not really the reason though. DGM is unpopular, simply because not that many people have even heard about it (in America anyways ). I mean, if you go around asking about 100 different people on different anime sites about whether they have seen or heard of DGM at all, I'm willing to bet that only, approximately, 10 or so people will actually claim that they know what it is. You see, that's just the problem, DGM needs to get its name out there, in order for it to be known. For example, I, as well as 2 of my friends, got into Bleach, only after hearing so much about it, and seeing its name come up regularly on different anime sites. Eventually, it got out attention, and we each decided to give it a try. However, I probably would never have been into Bleach, if it was only something that was vaguely mentioned on different sites, from time to time. That is what is happening with DGM, and that is primarily why its unpopular, IMO.

Darketernal777

[19]Nov 8, 2007
    ensatsu-ken wrote:
    Darketernal777 wrote:

That's not really the reason though. DGM is unpopular, simply because not that many people have even heard about it (in America anyways ). I mean, if you go around asking about 100 different people on different anime sites about whether they have seen or heard of DGM at all, I'm willing to bet that only, approximately, 10 or so people will actually claim that they know what it is. You see, that's just the problem, DGM needs to get its name out there, in order for it to be known. For example, I, as well as 2 of my friends, got into Bleach, only after hearing so much about it, and seeing its name come up regularly on different anime sites. Eventually, it got out attention, and we each decided to give it a try. However, I probably would never have been into Bleach, if it was only something that was vaguely mentioned on different sites, from time to time. That is what is happening with DGM, and that is primarily why its unpopular, IMO.

Yeah, that, too, is probably a major reason for it's unpopularity. However, big chain book stores carry D Gray Man and it's even featured in the popular manga section (like those tables in the middle of the whole showroom floor that have all the highest sales grossing mangas on it) and I see it all the time in all my local bookstores. I also happened to glance at it once and didnt like it at first (but my tastes were also different back then) but after I started reading Bleach and Naruto and stuff and got bored of Naruto (I hated how they ended the first part) and Bleach (really hate HM arc, with the exception of the last 2 chapters and the fact that, up until now aside from Ichigo and Rukia, not a single captain's been killing/hunting/even dealing with hollows, which is supposed to be what soul reapers are all about) I finally got into D gray man, and I really like it.

Not because of the Akuma, however. I like the use of innocence, and I like having one main villain, I like how Katsura writes (slight shojo connotations but mainly shonen, which is rare anyway for a woman to publish shonen manga) and I like the Noah family and stuff, but I hate the akuma. Most of them look stupid, there's no commonality between them, and the explanation of what they are and how they come to be is really shady. I think that's what hinders me from loving d gray man, as opposed to just liking it. FMA, however, I really like as well, and I dunno whether its because I've only read up to the current chapter and require more or because alchemy's just not my thing, either way, it's more popular than D Gray man because it's been on adult swim for ever and the name is out there. Video games, movies, etc, it's got people turning heads, and plenty of recommendations for newcomers just getting into manga. D gray man needs that, but it also needs some simplification on the artwork of the akuma. I mean, really, most of the time they're just goofy looking monsters that appear as though they've been constructed from evil silly putty. I just don't like them. Still like the series, though.

Lastly, I dont like how Crowley's taken a far back seat in terms of plot (like the 8th seat in the Jeep commander)and how much face time he's being given. He's like Chad in bleach, good concept but fails in practice due to being completely useless in terms of plot. I think that, somehow or another, EVERY character in a manga should affect/alter/help along/hinder the plot or something. You see that in FMA, every character (and there're several) are somehow instrumental to the plot, while in bleach Chad is utterly useless, and Crowley is slowly degenerating along that same spiral. Oh well, hope D gray man gets it's name out there, it's a good series with lots of potential.

ensatsu-ken

[20]Nov 8, 2007
    I agree with almost all of that, except for 1 thing about the akuma, in that I actually like how they have different designs, but that's just my opinion. However, to be honest, I actually prefer akuma to hollows. To me, most of the akuma don't look that silly, except for a few, and even then, I prefer having them mostly look different, rather than having them all look like mindless drones, such as hollows. That is not to say that I don't like the designs of hollows, but the simplicity of them, makes the hollows boring to look at afterawhile. I mean, I'm just tired of seeing hollows, whereas I find the complexity of the akuma's designs to be interesting. Anyways, that's just the way that I see it.

BTW, I definitely agree with you on the HM arc. That arc has just been dragging on, and its really repetitive of the SS arc, IMO. Although, just like you said, the last couple of chapters have been fairly good. But still, they aren't of equal quality to the SS arc. At least not yet .