Da Vinci's Demons

Saturday 9:00 PM on Starz Premiered Apr 12, 2013 Between Seasons

dhaworth

Da Vinci's Demons Fan Reviews (39)

• New Daemons!

Interesting show! It has lots of historical inconsistencies, but overall it's very enjoyable and entertaining show! It's well scripted, has nice visuals and well performed! Very Good Production!
  • Bravo!

Bravo to the creative team for taking what many seem to consider license with history to explore the Hidden (Occult) history that is beyond even most scholars. Not everyone is satisfied with the thin, dry onion skin of history, some of us prefer the depths where life dwells full, rich and ready to sprout anew.

As with Leonardo's incredible legacy of art and engineering masterpieces, symbolism is incredibly important, in fact a language all its own. Artists, Mystics and the Mysteries they explore are teaming with such symbols for they convey ideas and experiences that cannot fully be described by words or even the arts. Experiential knowledge, or gnosis is the only true path to understanding such mysteries.

Those familiar with the Green Language, its related symbolism and history of the Western Mystery Traditions should find the story arcs, mythos and characters a wonderful and entertaining diversion. And there is plenty of wonderful entertainment for those who cannot see beyond the papery skin.
  • Willingly suspended disbelief

It takes a sense of humour to be able to watch this fantastical and phantasmagorical oeurve, which I am doing with great relish. Knowing Renaissance history makes the experience so much more entertaining. It is utterly outlandish, yet contains just enough historical details to make it quasi-believable. The historians might groan and gasp and turn off the TV in disgust but others laugh. For example, Leonardo's little buddy, Nico, turns out to be, of course, the future author of "Il Principe," none other than Machiavelli himself, who actually would have been only 9 years old at the time he is depicted alongside the maestro. Anachronisms abound, such as when Nico says "Potatoes have Potatoes were introduced to Europe after the discovery of the New World. I plan to continue watching the series, happily anticipating more and weirder plot twists in the hysterical adventures of Leonardo da Vinci and company.
  • Great Entertainment!

I started watching this after seeing that Starz was making it, after the first episode i was hooked, My partner decided to watch it with me next time and became hooked instantly as well.

This series is a great example of immerse television. It may not be historical accurate in everyday, but it makes up for it with its genius display of his ability to unlock secrets.

A Must watch!
  • What is this ?

This has nothing to do with the historical Da Vinci I realise that a series like this must attract a great audience But this is a travesty . I love the renaissance with a passion But this ? Da Vinci was a genius and their is no need to make a kind of Disney character out of him It is shameful television and does no credit at all to the * real* de Vinci ! I hope young people in this day and age still READ good books to see what is true and what is not I don't mind a bit of glamour in history series but this is pure distortion of the life of a man who is dead and therefore can be miss used
  • good imagination but highly distorted fact's

if you want to see fantasy here it is

you are going to love it i guarantee you i like it more if they doesn't relate it to lenardo because other than name of vinchi nothing is fact based all are just imagination and highly distorted fact

but i love to watch it as a pure fantasy
  • Suspend disbelief :D

I hear you LOL, but if you want to enjoy the show you ought to suspend disbelief just a little.

When Lucrezia reaches the outskirts of Constantinoples you can see in the distance the silhouette of the Blue Mosque, which unfortunately for historical accuracy, was built between 1606 and 1616, almost a century after the events of DVD take place.

Another example: after the congiura of the Pazzi, it was not Lorenzo who travelled to Naples to make peace with duke Alfonso, but a party of artists and architects.

The show is good, it doesn't claim to be an historical reconstruction, who cares about the details...
  • How the hell did they get to Peru?

HI, I love the show, but I just saw the last episode (spoiler alert) when they get to the New World, and I was very confused when the Inca references became obvious. How the hell could they have gotten to Peru? It's on the Pacific side of South America! Are we suppose to believe that they made it all the way pass Cape Horn to get to Peru? I say that because I recently learned in class what a effing hell Pizarro went trough to discover the Incas in the first place. The show is amazing, but sometimes it's a bit improbable. Though I suppose that is part of its charm.
  • I'm in love!

This show is such a breathe of fresh air! I see some find the motives of characters confusing but I think it speaks honestly to the time period, when motivations were much different than they are today. Lorenzo likes and admires Leonardo and wants to be his patron but when the needs of Florence are at risk, Lorenzo will always choose Florence.

The writers are doing a good job of following the history of the characters with the exception of Da Vinci but there are long periods of his life that are not documented so artistic license is reasonable for the needs of plot. He is known to have traveled extensively but I've never heard of him traveling to the New World. It will be fun to see what happens next. That's the key, each week I can't wait till the next episode so the show is doing its job!
  • So confused

Well, I like Laura Haddock, but what the hell with director and writer when they building character like Lucrezia Donati !???

She's just so confused, so complex, so selfish, just like they trying to made a angel and a whore in same person ... it's so confusion ...

Lorenzo speak to Leonardo: "you're only one can made weapon to protect Florence", and yet, when Leonardo save his life and want a favor like a ship and some money to start his journey, Lorenzo refused him very quick ...

He was adultery with a whore and he just want kill a man who save his life because he also f*ck that whore ...

It's so confusion with these action ...

That triangle love is just so freak to understand
  • so happy season 2 is FINALLY here!!!

i can't get enough of this show!!! the acting is great and the story line is awesome!!! i hate waiting a whole week to find out whats gonna happen next!!!
  • Torturous

The most distressing and endless anticipation for season 2 ever. Leonardo is back, thank God!
  • Unbelieving

perfect. it is absolutely brilliant, the idea, the acting, the character, i wish i had actually lived to see Da Vinci himself
  • Amazing!

This series was beautifully done. I am absolutely, unequivocally, and irrationally in love with Leo. The man who plays Leo, Tom Riley, is quite talented, and very impressive. The fact that he learned to be ambidextrous for this roll, proves his dedication, as well as his skill. He also has this rough, sexy appeal, that makes his character that much more intriguing. Also, very fun to watch. His portrayal of Leo is, fresh, fun, and incredibly exciting.

I enjoy the little known facts about Leonardo Da'Vinci, that are written into the drama. Also, the cheeky humor, and the slight supernatural flare that accompany it all. I think this series is smart, fresh, and very enticing . I am glad that I gave it a chance. I was opposed to it at first, thinking it to be a historical production. Which, there is truth to some of the bits about Leo, weaved into the fiction. I believe that is what gives this series the unique quality that keeps me watching, as well as others.

I am very, very overjoyed, that Starz will be presenting a second season. My impatience and anticipation are elevated to the point of insanity. Spring seems like an eternity to wait, but the promise of more, and past episodes, will help ease the madness.

I would recommended this series to anyone who enjoys history that has been fictionalized, and has intrest in Leonardo Da'Vinci as a young man. I say this again, it is fiction, with some truths. It is meant for entertainment. I love this show!
  • Love it!

Can't wait for season 2!

@ onlydutch goed gezegd ;)
  • super show

what a great show this is, have seen the first 4 eps in 1 row, also historical is it good worked out.

good job please season 2.

from the netherlands

• Best Show Ever!

This show is amazing everything is just right! I can't wait for season 2 it has to come out already! Da Vinci's Demons shows how advance was Leo back then for his time. He always finds a way. I'm so fascinated with this show! Please keep making more!
  • 8 EPISODES

Hope we get more than 8 episodes next season. was kinda like "That's it" waiting for the next episode
  • I'm in lust with Leo

Wow, I love this show. I really bloody-well love it. I can't wait for season 2. Even though he's not your typical hot as hell lead, Leo melts me. I don't even know what it is about his character, but I found myself swooning, God even I can't believe I just said that. I also found myself really invested in other characters too. When awful things happened to some characters towards the end of season 1, I was really cut & actually yelled at the tv, "nnnoooooooo". It's on my must watch radar for season 2. Must, must, must watch
  • Best Show ever

great acting, a bit raunchy and full on action packed, with scandel and love. fighting and killing. love this show, one of the best tv series released this year!
  • Fab Show

OMG, how good is this show! It's very well written, comedy and drama all rolled into one. I love it.
  • Did Da'Vinci invented hair gel?

Hey guys, seriously in that historical age, the main actor is the only one there with hair gel..... looks sooooo freaking stupid to me..... i mean come on guys really, hair gel for the main actor?... The show and the story is awesome and interesting but i cant dig the main actor cause of the hair gel ^^, i know you wanted to make him look appart of all others and give him a sense of "something else" but deffinetly not by using hair gel..... its lame, you shoud lose the gel....
  • Holy shit, this show is hilarious!

When I saw the previews for this show I thought it would be kind of a historical, slightly supernatural, drama that may or may not be interesting depending on how well it was acted. Boy was I wrong. This show is certainly a drama, but there is some awesome comedy in here as well. If you want historical accuracy, look elsewhere, because this has nothing to do with the actual life and times of Leo Da Vinci. On the other hand, if you like a bit of action and goofiness in your historical dramas, you'll like this. This might sound weird, but in some ways the vibe of this show reminds me a bit of the Robin Hood with Jonas Armstrong in it. Which was also an awesome show, btw.

The characters are interesting: Leonardo is quirky and utterly bonkers, but in an endearing, not tiresome, way. Initially I thought Lorenzo would just be a foil for Leo to show off his genius, but the character is actually interesting in his own right. Lucrezia is not as well developed as she could be, but I think the show is working its way up to something with her, and at the very least she's not just a pretty face.

The other thing that I like about this show is that it doesn't try to force supernatural stuff into the episodes. Every once in a while we get weird visions or whatever, but by and large it has very little to do with what's going on in Florence, and it's always accompanied by sleep-deprivation or drugs, so there's not necessarily anything truly supernatural about it. His "demons" are more metaphorical than literal, and in this particular case I like it that way.
  • Fact or Fiction? Medieval Steampunk?

I rather like this show. It's well produced, a bit tongue in cheek, and grown up drama at the same time. A tricky combination to pull off. This sort of approach can easily turn into a Carry On farce but here it keeps a steely edge. The lovely Laura Haddock, who has regularly appeared in a few recent UK comedy shows as the attractive girl/love interest of the male leads and here she is playing to type, though not for laughs, which is nice to see. The Papal badies are suitably medieval in their callous vicousness and the Medicis, the supposed goodies of the piece, appear to be ambiguous in this regard. It all makes for a good old yarn and I found the first few episodes very engaging.

Yes, I found myself wondering why does Leonardo have short hair and why does he act like a complete tosser, who would frankly annoy the hell out of any normal adult, and then I look at the idiot sycophants he knocks about with and I think maybe the writers want us the feel that way about him. I don't know the answer but I do find myself forgiving Leonardo his character flaws, probably in much the same way as the other characters also forgive him.

Those viewers & reviewers, who clearly wanted to see a Hallmark production of Leonardo Da Vincis life, will be disappointed. Lets face it people not much is really known about the man, save for his art and drawings, so cut the writers some slack. The tale is a fantasy so lets leave it at that.

In my mind I have compared this show with the current production of The Borgias, which while fiction, sticks to the history of the time reasonably well. The same cannot be said of DVD, which is more fantastical and whimsical; though having said that DVD is more medieval steampunk than pure fantasy.
  • All say hail to the new...

McGyver. It took me a while to appreciate the show for what it really is, bring on season two!
  • Da Vinci's Demons, The Book of Leaves

I like how the writers are working in The Emerald Tablets of Toth as the Book of Leaves into the show. The love triangles are boring.
  • It's a Da Vinci of a paralell world

The accents are different, the appetites of Leonardo is of another kind, the interests of the'' maestro'' totally different and, most fictional of all, his inventions work! If that were true, then the world today would be more advanced technologically.

The hardest part so far, for me, has been accepting the main actor, really bad casting, but the production is interesting enough to keep my attention.

• srsly ?

Change the haircut, it's too new age
  • It does not matter if he was gay or not... Because your genitals are miles away from the Brain! But writes, please go grab a Book!

(First, sorry for the grammar... is not my 1st language... or 2nd to be honest)

About the show.

What a hurtful, sloppy, and inaccurate description of one of the Greatest Genius of Human History... Lazy people are running this show.

- He was left-handed, some few notes of the consequences of being ambidextrous and the "practice of it" but he was left-handed,

- Where that ascent came from? Was it necessary? Born and grow up in 'old Italy' and you will end it up with a new Yorker/Yankee ascent? I do not believe it!

Shows like Doctor Who and the PHENOMENAL Sherlock, had ready proven that ascent is no longer a problem for a worldview public. Great show writers, check it out.

- Da Vinci probably learn a lot with Copernicus and Galileo, because he has a notable political skill in the matter of religion, never truly confronted by the church until his version of the Saint Supper... always under the protection of a king/lord for military purpose, this aspect of the character should be better developed.

- Do you need a secret society and meeting in a cave where the "host" disappear with all the "furniture"? For real?

Trying to force some mystery around Da Vinci into our throats to justified (or mystified) his world knows Geniuses' is a kid joke from the writing point of view.

He was not an alien or a magic child! The only people who need that extra "magic/mystery" into their BYO to appear important are those people who had accomplished NOTHING and want to appear important anyway (my boss, some colleagues, me at

Writers grab a couple of books, ok... just one than! Nevertheless, stop writing! Leonardo Da Vinci is probably the Human being who has more accomplishments in several fields in the History of Human kind! read that paragraph again, really!

What make him so memorable was his lack of fear to think without boundaries that comes with people dominated by also why his ACCOMPLISHMENTS were out of scale for his time.

In addition, the fact that he... even aware of his High intellect, only consider himself just a "humble servo" (his words) make that character so Special and interesting.

- He was probably gay, "Does it matter Douglas?" It definitely not!

Alexander the Great was also probably gay, Einstein was probably hetero, etc, etc...

NO NEED for a hetero or gay flag here or try to make this a Matter of sex instead of Brain... buuuuut do we really need a Plot or Arc (whatever the writes call this) where Leonardo Da Vinci's been Played by a woman in bed???

Writers please, go type some Soap or an Episode from the Real Unreal Maybe Real-comefindout!- Desperate Housewives with Yankee ascent....

Again, the Plot is not well placed for this character, not because he was gay (or not) but because he is a REAL character for Christ sake and there is no base for that kind of assumption.

If you are going to tell the history of Leonardo Da Vinci, do not try to invent it for yourself, use some History base.... Otherwise, you can call "The History of one of the Greater Genius of Human Kind by me and myself and my inner self imagination and Elf's from a cave

It does not matter if he was gay or not... Because your genitals are miles away from the Brain!!

He was this Genius and a kind person for his development as human being (brain, body, inner self if you prefer) and not from which sex position he had chosen.

Amazing Human, unfortunately his memory and life is not being honoured in this particular Show at the height of his achievements.

• Hollywood rewriting/whitewashing the gay from Leonardo.

To those who in a country, the usa, who are the quickest to call someone a Homosexual just because the person does not conform to your cookie cutter mentality of black and white on sexual issues.

Court records of 1476, when he was aged twenty-four, show that Leonardo and three other young men were charged with sodomy in an incident involving a well-known male prostitute.

To those who have issue with what you call an Italian, the country of Italy did not exit a hundred years ago! It was city states and he was of Florence, a city that was known for it's tolerant attitudes (think Sweden, Netherlands, UK today)

Additionally him having a RP English Accent (yes there are dozens of different English Accents in the UK/Eire), throughout history and continues to this day, when a person has their child tutored in English as a 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc Language, they CHOOSE and PAY for their child to speak RP English.

NOT AMERICANA YANKese. (nasal whiney mono-tonal speaking without proper grammar is Not how the Italians or even the Chinese of Today learn to speak RP English.

So if you cant stand an RP English Accent, I suggest you and all like you stay in the county you were born, will live your entire life and die in. IF and When you actually were to travel the world you would find far more RP English speakers than Southern Hick Drawls or Bimbo California hey dude I have only 2 brain cells accents. Yes those of us who speak PROPER RP English - find your accent to be annoying and a murdering of the English Language when you speak.

This programme gets worse, calling Leonardo, LEO... an Anglicised modern term that is historically in-accurate and a abomination to the reputation of one of the Greatest Gay Figures in History)

He was Never Called LEO.

And to those who can not even bother nor know how to type proper English, YES it is a story about a historical figure and as such, the personal attributes of the person should be adhered to.

How would YOU feel a tv programme was made about martin luther king and he was played by a Blonde Hair'd Blue Eyed Woman?

Touche'