Da Vinci's Inquest

Pretend You Didn't See Me

Aired Tuesday 9:00 PM Jan 20, 2002 on CBC

• Very innovative, fun-to-watch... sort of a day-in-the-life.

I loved this episode from the very beginning. The opening shot, one continuous shot (or very sneakily cut) was quite an undertaking, but they managed to pull it off with panache. It drew me into the episode by having the camera follow Da Vinci down the street just like we were tagging along with him for the day.

All of the inane conversations going on - about security cameras and ironing shirts and fly-fishing rods at the end - really gave the episode a sense of reality. I don't know how much of the street scenes were scripted or how much of it just happened and the characters reacted to it, but it was all very believably done.

The paramedic worrying that he'd arrived too late because he saw Da Vinci, the shoe shine guy stumbling over them and getting in on the conversation, Da Vinci and Zack with the fishing rod... it was all just so real and believable that it's a credit to the writing and the actors both.

My favorite scene was Da Vinci arriving to the jump scene. His comment about everyone on their balcony having "box seats at the orchestra" combined with the classical music was just great to watch.

I had been a bit bored with the past two or three episodes of Da Vinci - the bones case and the missing prostitutes case have just gone on for far too long and things are starting to get stale - and this was a refreshing breath of fresh air. It reminded me not only why I watched the show, but why I perk up whenever Da Vinci, Leary and Shannon are on-screen together (Zack is always fun, too ;-D)