Da Vinci's Inquest

CBC (ended 2005)

Kristhetvgirl2

Da Vinci's Inquest Fan Reviews (20)

• Take the best parts of Crossing Jordan and a generic cop show... put in a blender... mix and serve in a beautiful city. The result? Pretty darn satisfying.

I live in America, and the only reason I caught an episode of Da Vinci's Inquest was because my favorite actress, Teryl Rothery, guest-starred in an episode. I got ahold of that episode on tape and was intrigued by it.

WGN recently started airing older episodes of the show and I'm already hooked. The characters are intriguing and I look forward to seeing more of them. Da Vinci, for instance, is flawed in a very interesting way. But he's not so out there that you wonder why they bother to keep him around (like Jordan Cavanaugh on Crossing Jordan... why is she not fired?! Sorry, rant, wrong show...).

I'm also impressed with the fact that they use Vancouver as a setting. Many, many shows use that great city, but they set their series in Seattle (4400, Dead Like Me) or even Colorado (Stargate SG-1). It's nice to be able to see Vancouver landmarks and hear the characters refer to themselves as "Vancouver police." It's a wonderful thing, even if they do show the seedier side more often than not... all cities have one, why try and hide it?

So all-in-all, a really great show from the looks of it. I can't wait to see more!
  • Hey, it's the Canadian version of Law & Order!

I recently heard a buzz about this show, and decided to give it a try when I saw it was on. To my pleasant surprise, Canadian actor Donnelly Rhodes was in it! I grew up watching him on "Danger Bay" on the Disney channel. I am very pleased to see him in something (as a starring role) again. He's a wonderful actor. I really enjoyed the show, despite a couple "to be continued" loose ends that weren't resolved in the one episode I watched. I will definitely watch it again. I'm very glad to have another decent series from Canada to watch!
  • I loved how this show was filmed, like you were standing right there experiencing everything. You got to see the "real" people (characters), flaws and all. I really liked the character Da Vinci too. Well acted. Actually they were all well acted!

Call me lame but I've just discovered "Da Vinci's Inquest"! Unfortunately they are no longer filming new episodes :-( but then I do have 7 years of programs to catch up seeing! I'm recording every episode I see on at least three different networks. Of course they're not being shown in sequence, but...better than nothing. I can't get enough of this program! I wish it would come back...
  • It is a wonderful detective/csi type series without getting bogged down in the personal lives of the characters like a soap opera. Just enough to make each character interesting!!

I am so sorry I did not discover Da Vinic's Inquest until its last season. I live in Houston, TX. Can't imagine why ABC, NBC and CBS didn't pick it up!! I hope I can locate the series Davinic's City Hall. I accidently found Da Vinci's Inquest one afternoon about six months ago on one of the cable stations.
  • I'm not sure what the point it, but I love it.

They just started showing this on my local television, but I find it really interesting. Da Vinci = growl! I'm not exactly sure what the point is, because I haven't been watching it enough, and it also seems like it came from one of those HBO channels, because it always cuts to commercials at the wierdest times. And the cursing. The cursing makes me giggle.
  • I just started watching and love this show. Has anybody noticed that the star is not listed in the cast list on this site?

I love the gentle way that this show grabs you. Not the "in your face" type of show like many of those you see on prime time US programing. Much like some of the contemporary mysteries on PBS. The characters are subtle and easy like someone you might meet in real life. New friends to spend my late evenings with.
  • She returns home and she is bringing her mum with her. Everyone is pleased to see they gives her a big hug.

She returns home and she is bringing her mum with her. Everyone is pleased to see they gives her a big hug. She asks himif she can ever forgive her for lying and he tells her the only way she can is if she tells the truth about the baby. But She tells her she can not do that because then he will never forgive her for lying to him.
  • THE BEST SHOW ON TV PERIOD!!!

I watch DaVinci's inquest via cable on WGN Chicago,, USA. This show clearly out ranks every show produced on US TV in every way. Acting, Writing, Plot, Realism, just unbelievable. I am totally hooked and as a retired police officer I can say this is the most realistic show on tv today. With all the shows on US TV and all the money spent on them this just shows the sad state of television in the US. Keep up the good work Dominick!!
  • Good series from Canada!

7.8
    The first time I saw an episode of this show, a Canadian friend of mine sent me a tape to view. I guess I saw it in the middle of a plotline, because I really couldn't follow it.

A few months ago, my local CBS station started airing the show. I decided to give it a second chance.

I'm glad I did. I really like it. It's gritty, but the characters are likeable.

For new viewers: It kind of has the feel as if you switched on to it in the middle of a story, but stay with it. It's quite interesting.
  • A gem.

I accidentally found this show one night when I couldn't sleep. It comes on between 12:30 and 1:30am. After watching it a couple of Sundays I was hooked. Normally, I'm not much of a cop show watcher, but this one was different. I'm still not familiar with the cast's names on or off the show but I like them all. It's interesting that the outdoor scenes are shot with all the traffic noise included. It's noticeable and it adds to the reality of the show.

There are 3 main male characters; one of which is DaVinci. Love him. Love his hair (lol). Love the younger detective. Cute. Love the heavier detective (heavy in comparison). All great actors. Great story lines, great music. In case you have any doubts, the show is GREAT!

At the end of each program we hear the closing music and DaVinci's voice telling us that "it's not over." The first time I believed him! But, unfortunately the show was over. A cruel joke because I never want it to be over, I always want more.
  • This is the best tv series I have ever seen and I am OLD. I dont understand why the people that made this dont get these characters back together for another one - they have such perfect chemistry.

I look forward to this show every day of my life. Even though its on at a ridiculous time and Ive seen it before, I wouldn\'t miss a single one. This show is so different and brings up subjects you have never seen before on a tv show. That makes it seem almost like a documentary that is frequently funny, sometimes heartbeakingly sad, often jaw dropping shocking. DaVinci can be so testy and irritating and and the next moment so compassionate. Nicholas Campbell is quite possibly the best actor we have in Canada and the USA and he makes my day!
  • Give me more like this

I get this show on DISH network from WGN Chicago. Unfortunately some of the episodes are missing and I have no idea why. I love this show and all the characters. I especially like the camera work which is not jerky and annoying as in some shows. It treats the vouyer with intelligence and the themes are timely and thought provoking. There are some real villians but the heroes are well rounded and have feet of clay. I only regret that I am at the mercy of reruns and not complete ones at that. Wish we could get more Canadian shows in the States. Barry Pepper is another Canadian that I really admire.
  • I love this program, but for some reason I missed that part where they were supppose to get a warrant on a storage place that Brian the dirty cop, was renting can you please tell me what happened to that, thank you sharon

this is a great show love everyone on the show hope it keeps on the air i look forward to it everyday, iam writing because for some reason i missed the part on the eposode that they were going to get a warrant out for Brian, did not know how to get a message through excaept through the review section, my e-mail is jesus-delva@hotmial.com I would appreciate it if someone could get back with me on that, thank you sharon lopez
  • Superb

The casting, the direction, the film site, the story lines -- it all works. Just can't get enough of this show. Would like to see it in sequential order. Just placed an order for the first season through Netflix then I'll be hankering to have access to the rest of the show on DVD.
  • A great Canadian show

This is the kind of show that caught my attention and then ran with it. The acting, the writing, the sets, the camera work, are all unlike what I've seen before. It might take some getting used to, it is a drastic change from the other fresh-from-the-mold procedural shows, but it's a welcome change of pace from the rest of the LA-based and produced shows.

When I first watched Da Vinci's Inquest, I thought for a second, "is this even scripted?". Nicholas Campbell has what is really just an amazingly different style of acting than 'conventional' actors.

With a host of Canadian actors and filmed right in Vancouver, Da Vinci's Inquest is like nothing you've seen before.
  • A cop's "cop show" although the lead character is the coroner Dominic Da Vinci. It's gritty, realistic, funny as hell, while being sad on many levels as the coroner & Police Officers make their way through some very dark realities, but always with heart.

This show has the ability to pull a viewer in, even without a lot of the backstory if you enter during a later season.
    If you're a fan of slick "Hollywood" everything-is-tied-up-neatly-with-a-bow at the end of the show...

Or,

if you think great crime drama is watching cleavage bulging women, wearing $500 pairs of designer shoes on lovely young investigators traipsing around crime scenes... then for God's sake don't watch this show or buy the DVD's!

DaVinci's Inquest is one of those rare gems that speaks volumes to the viewers. You can't watch this show and not feel something, some emotion.

The main characters are layer upon layer of actual people, with real people's problems, personalities, stupidity, humor and more.

The writing and storylines are intricate and complex. But often glaringly basic. Just like any person's daily life. Some issues are resolved over many episodes, some in one, some... ongoing.

All the while, you just get so immersed in the stories and the characters they make you feel like they could live next door to you!

The actors; Nicholas Campbell, Donnelly Rhodes, Venus Terzo, Ian Tracy and so many others take the astonishing writing of series creator Chris Haddock and make indelible marks as some of the best character portrayals you could ever hope to see.

This show has everything that American crime dramas don't... realism, episodes about people who's lives will never be the same, those that will probably never rise any higher than the street life, as well as those that are heading to that level from high up above.

In a word, this series is "Classic"
  • Great show, but not all the Seasons have been released. There is a petition to do so...

This was a great show. Very well written, with great acting to boot. It is much more realistic than these modern shows like CSI. It can be dark and gritty, and doesn't hold back. It is definitely worth watching if you are into that kind of crime drama. Lots of Canadian guest stars, including Ginger Snaps stars Katharine Isabelle and Emily Perkins. They have currently only released the first three seasons on DVD. But...

There is a petition to convince Acorn to release the last four seasons of "Da Vinci's Inquest" on DVD.

Please sign it, and tell your friends. Thank you.
  • A quirky show that can be good at times when not involved in pushing a political agenda.

I wanted to like this show, tried to like this show, and initially did like it. The frequent weak "non-endings" of episodes were alternately refreshing and disappointing, but what finally put me off of this show was the repeated use of heavy left-wing slants in storylines.

For example, the police officer who disagrees with Da Vinci's desire to provide free drugs to addicts is a "mere" traffic cop, and therefore narrow minded. Then, Da Vinci apparently suffers no adverse consequences from participating in an illegal drug transaction with a cop watching.

While this particular episode was the one that finally put me off, as bad as it was it wouldn't have been the final straw without several similar annoyances in previous episodes, including many instances of petty anti-American sniping; it's not so much the sniping that offends me as the pettiness of it, what I guess psychobabblers would call "passive-aggressive" behavior, or what real people call "wimpy".
  • GRITTY PROCEDURAL

5.5
    Says it its Canadian. Thats no excuse. Life is gritty. Not that gritty. Things can get a bit crunchy. Thats not fun to watch. Thats the way it is. Live with it-its Canadian. All joking aside I do think the show has a tendency to become mired in overly realistic portrayals of just how bunged up things can get out there in the 'real world' -call me a weenie but I like my TV shows to be more of the escapist variety where things look better than they do in real life.
  • Da Vinci's Inquest

I have been watching this show for years, but it wasn't in sequence then bam it was off here in it is back on WGN season 7 episode to watch 13 online but can't find it want to watch Brian get busted. an afraid they might pull this before it has a few espisodes but not is a GREAT love to watch it from the beginning.