A Dads Community
FOX (ended 2014)

Freshman comedies Dads, Enlisted, and Surviving Jack will not be returning for another tour of duty. Fox has canceled the three comedies, TV.com has confirmed. Additionally, first-year legal drama Rake has been axed, according to The Hollywood Reporter.

Dads, from executive producer Seth MacFarlane, was maligned by critics and saw its season order shortened from 22 episodes to 18 episodes. The season finale drew 2.49 million viewers and a 1.0 rating in the adults 18- to 49-year-old demo.

Military comedy Enlisted, in contrast, was one of the best-reviewed new comedies of the season. However, the series aired on Fridays and was pulled from the schedule in March. Four episodes have yet to air.

Surviving Jack premiered in late March in the post-American Idol results show spot, and marked Christopher Meloni's first TV series since he left Law & Order: SVU. The most recent episode grabbed 3.92 million viewers and a 1.0.

Despite Greg Kinnear's star power, Rake premiered to soft ratings on Thursdays in January before it was moved to Fridays and then Saturdays. The legal drama's final episode grabbed 1.04 million viewers and a 0.2 rating.

The cancellations come after Fox axed first-year drama Almost Human last week.

Which of these shows will you miss the most?

Check the Status of Your Favorite Shows:
What's Renewed, What's Canceled, and What's Still In Between?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 8/17/2015

Season 1 : Episode 19

84 Comments
Comments (84)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
FOX is becoming ABC because the only one thing these two have in-common are: they cancel several shows without giving a simple explanation. That's all I can say.

R.I.P.- Almost Human, Dads, etc.
Flag
Fox is like a coach who brings in first timers, put them in awkward lineup and then expect everyone of them to hit a home run from the first ball on, failing which they get axed..

Seriously, Almost Human?? Enlisted?? Surviving Jack??

I don't usually decide on watching shows based on the networks they are on, but in this case, I am not going to start watching any shows on Fox unless they are 3-4 years old....
Flag
Fox, you suck! :( Dads I totally agree, but Enlisted, and mostly, Surviving Jack????????????? Come on, such a good, solid, funny, well cast, well written show!!! Come on... You suck, FOX!!!!!!!!!!! :(
Flag
I can't believe SURVIVING JACK was canceled. This show was so funny. I laughed out loud every time. I really hope a different channel picks it up. I love Christopher Meloni's as the father.
Flag
Fox should reconsider canceling SURVIVING JACK. Give it a chance to catch on. It is a very funny show, cast is wonderful, and the wit and humor in how Jack is raising his teenagers is hilarious!! Please Reconsider!
Flag
Everything about Almost Human exhibits more potential than half the SF television programs that have premiered in the last 10 yrs, I'm very sad it's been canceled - SAVE ALMOST HUMAN

While Dads, Enlisted, and Surviving Jack are all terrible television shows with a smattering of bad acting and/or gags so old they have whiskers on them.

Though I will miss Brenda Song, who never seems to get a recurring role on any show since her spin-off of the Disney series Zack & Cody.

Flag
Scratch another tally in the "Live Action Seth Green Failures." Has he been in ANYTHING post-Buffy that lasted more than one season? (Family Guy and Robot Chicken don't count because those are animated shows.)
Flag
so they cancelled Rake after moving the show to three different nights over the course of just 12 episodes? Do you even need a GED to work in network programming?
Flag
As I said on the ABC cancels thread - they always cancel the best sitcoms. Enlisted was decent. All good sitcoms die. :(
The worst shows, that other people unfortunately seem to love, keep getting renewed every year while the good ones often have short lives. It's so frustrating. I guess my taste is not popular enough, I should have just liked CSI, Grey's Anatomy, Modern Family and that kind of safe crap.
Flag
I enjoyed Surviving Jack and had seen a couple eps of Almost Human. Quite enjoyed it. Too bad they're getting canceled. Typical... The good shows getting canned. Don't worry though! We'll still get 'quality' shows like Maury, Honey Boo Boo and Jerry Springer! Blech!!!
Flag
I enjoyed SURVIVING JACK also. Networks need to get rid of some of the Reality Shows. & Maury, Honey Boo Boo, they are taking over the TV. Garbage!!!
Flag
I probably have weird taste because I loved surviving jack and really enjoyed almost human and enlisted.

Maybe it's because I was a teen in the '90s and Surviving jack did remind a little that period. It was like the Goldbergs set in the 90's, funny and really enjoyable.
Any way, I'm use to see show that I enjoy get canceled and the ones that I don't care for and find boring getting renewed year after year.

Flag
Agree with you Pelf... I enjoyed Surviving Jack too! Maybe cause I have raised teenagers and his way of getting their attention is right on! He makes them think.
Which in my opinion the networks just don't know how to use their heads on keeping GOOD shows.
Flag
I forgot to say that I was not surprise by Rake cancellation. The show was not that bad but the original one is way more better.
Flag
Good. Let the talented cast work on projects actually worth while, and stop wasting away there.
Flag
Wow, figured, I really wasn't aware any of these shows existed in the first place :P .
Flag
I shamefully admit I'll miss Dads, it was steadily improving going forward. Especially the final unaired episode, I saw it filmed while on holiday in LA and thoroughly enjoyed it. I do hope they air the final episode at some stage.
Flag
This is why I don't watch Fox. Back in 2010 they cancelled 5 shows I watched, I liked Enlisted, Almost Human and Surviving Jack but I didn't want to commit because their timeslots meant they were DOA.
Flag
I'll miss Surviving Jack, enjoyed every episode. Christopher Meloni was doing a great job. Damn Fox, first Almost Human and now this.
Flag
Which shows I will miss the most? It's a tie between Almost Human and Rake. I'd liked Rake so much that i am considering watching the Australien version too. And Almost Human was quilty Sci-Fi, so enough said.
Flag
The only one I'm surprised about is "Dads." I'd have guessed that Fox would keep it around based on names attached, not merit. So glad to see it gone.
Flag
Considering they haven't renewed Family Guy yet, Cleveland and American dad are both done for, I don't think the names attached to Dad are all that great these days.
Flag
American Dad isn't technically dead. It's moving to TNT starting this summer.

Flag
Oh, I stand corrected then
Flag
Unfortunately, the show has lost [one of?] its longtime show runner[s?], who (I think) quit due to creative differences or something like that. That sounds to me like more network meddling than the show had at Fox. Whether that meddling will be detrimental remains to be seen.

At any rate, at least I haven't seen the last of Francine yet.
Flag
Hm. While I enjoyed Enlisted (and Parker Young), I think Surviving Jack was probably the funniest out of those comedies. And I'll miss it.

Christopher Meloni played his role so well (I love him in comedies). He was reminiscent of Kurtwood Smith's Red (from That 70's Show), and his character constantly had me in fits of chuckles. What a shame.

As for Rake, I never checked it out.
Flag
Christopher Meloni was such a breath of fresh air. He made Surviving Jack that much better. Dumb decision by FOX. They truly suck *** over there...what a shame.
Enlisted and Dads were aweful though. Should've never even been ordered to series. All these pilots and following cancelations? They just make themselves look bad don't they...no idea what they're doing...
Flag
enlisted was 30 mn of fune shared with my wife. RIP
Flag
I wish surviving Jack wasn't cancelled (I'm sad about Enlisted too although I hadn't gotten round to watching it). I expected it but it still makes me sad. That show and the Mindy Project (and B99 as well, actually) convinced me that Fox had officially taken over NBC as the best network for comedy.
Flag
I will maybe miss Almost Human but that's it.
Flag
I wish one of these three comedies would get accepted for next season, but anyhow, it's too late.

Looks like Brooklyn Nine-Nine will move to a new night and the new comedy that fits well to team up with Brooklyn Nine-Nine would be Last Man On Earth, IMO.
Flag
Almost Human and Enlisted were great. Loved them both and will miss them.
Flag
Well it's hardly that much of a surprise on Enlisted, I mean the actors themselves were already in talks about new shows.

It was a shame because it had a rather unique charm to it.

Dads on the other hand is goodbye and good riddance. Nothing but racist jokes, poop jokes and absolutely terrible writing.
Flag
Enlisted was quite a good show, and it's a pity it got canceled. Won't miss any others on this canceled list though
Flag
I'm glad that Dads was cancelled, I accept that there are unfunny and shitty comedians out there and that's fine, but it really pisses me off when they get super successful, especially when there are so many great comedians out there not getting the recognition they deserve. It's nice that Seth MacFarlane will finally be taken down a peg, nothing he does seems to fail despite everything he's done in the past few years being garbage, it seems like a month doesn't go by without something be announcing about Seth MacFarlane working on a new show. I am sad to see the rest go (aside from Rake which I didn't watch), Enlisted in particular, Surviving Jack was okay when Jack was on screen but when he wasn't it was pretty meh, Almost Human got off to a rough starts but in my opinion eventually found it's footing and I enjoyed it more as it took Karl Urban's character in a less broody direction.
Flag
I haven't seen Enlisted, but I've heard a lot of good things about it, both from people I know and general buzz. A shame to see that it's yet another series thrown under the bus by FOX -- put on Friday nights and left to die.

Oh, will FOX ever learn? . . . probably not.
Flag
Enlisted and Almost Human :(
Flag
me too.. :(
Flag
I agree :( Booo!
Flag
Almost Human
Flag
Hated Enlisted - bye bye!

Rake was not bad, but not all that exciting I suppose and, as seems to be the case, FOX aired episodes out of order and even skipped over one they probably will not air.

I didn't watch the others except Almost Human, which I gave up on.
Flag
surviving jack :(
Flag
I knew Enlisted was going to be gone, because Fox never gave it a chance. But I had some hope for Surviving Jack. It was a nice show, had really funny moments, and it was just getting started.
That Fox cancels them while regurgitating more Sunday night animation blocks is the reason they will never be the number 1 network.
Flag
I'm so sorry to hear that Rake got canceled. That was a fun show to watch.
Flag
I'm going to miss Surviving Jack. Meloni was solid and it had some great lines. I'll miss the opportunity of seeing Brenda Song exploited by Dads week after week as well. I watched Enlisted but after being really excited about the show I was incredibly disappointed once it finally premiered. I liked Rake well enough but it being cancelled comes as no shock at all.
Flag
The one and done curse of Geoff Stults continues, poor guy.
Flag
Wow FOX as usual you just suck...Surviving Jack was actually a decent show and so was Enlisted! I watched Dads, it had it's hits and misses but I think I'll be fine without it. Someone needs to take Surviving Jack though cause I want more!
Flag
Finally Dads is canceled !!!!! :)
Flag
F you, Fox. RIP, Enlisted, Surviving Jack, and Almost Human. :(
Flag
The cancelation was fully expected, but I'll miss Enlisted. Sweet and silly.
Flag
Fox, yes! Thanks for cancel this junk shows to make place for maybe better ones!
Flag
Fox is ridiculously idiotic in its decision-making. They cancel Dads, a move fully anticipated by everyone not bowing to the altar of Seth MacFarlane, but instead of giving its time-slot to Enlisted months ago as to improve Enlisted's ratings, they keep it on Friday only to pull it from the schedule.

After airing its episodes completely out of order.

After changing its broadcast time and airing it during the Winter Olympics.

After putting it behind the dying Raising Hope.

After making it a mid-season premiere.

Goddammit, Fox. I don't think I can forgive this, especially after Almost Human's treatment last week.
Flag
The lesson: stop getting invested in new shows airing on FOX. It's sad, I know, but they've done this kind of shit with literally dozens of shows at this point. Once I saw they were doing the same to Almost Human, I let it go, because the writing was already on the wall. Enlisted I never even checked out, because I could tell it had heart and charm, and I didn't want to get attached to something that was clearly going to die :(

Very few series survive FOX's intentional "Touch of Death"; when they don't want a show to succeed, it generally doesn't. Arrested Development is one of the few exceptions that comes to mind, but I don't think even AD would survive on FOX in the current TV climate, sadly.
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
Enlisted was one of the best out there - an unusual comedy in an era of cookie-cutter attempts. I'd say "Damn you, Fox" but isn't it automatic by now?
Flag
Wow, I love Surviving Jack, having been a teenager at that period of time, I really related to a lot of thing. Bummer...
Flag
I'll miss Rake, but had no hopes.
Flag
I'll miss Enlisted. It had such heart :(

Damn you, FOX.
Flag
Enlisted was as close to a quality "Police Academy" show we have ever gotten, they even did the marching band stings. Sad to see it go.
Flag
Remember Police Academy the series? (No the cartoon) well almost no one does :)
Flag
Oh sure, NOW they cancel Dads... Where you when my Dead Pool needed you, FOX?
Flag
I have the same feels right about now...
Flag
Enlisted was so great :(
Flag
It really was. Maybe a petition should be started for TBS to pick it up.
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members