Dad's Army

BBC (ended 1977)

dju010

Dad's Army Fan Reviews (7)

7.6
  • This has to be one of the greatest shows ever made.

You have to love all of the members of Walmington-On-Sea's Home Guard, despite all of them having their own quirks and faults. For example Captain Mainwaring may be pompous, but you still love him. Why this show is the classic that it is today is that all of the episodes are funny. There's not bad and good ones, there's ones were your laughing out loud and ones were you're crying in laughter. All of the actors were made for the roles, in way that makes you forget the characters are not real. All of the schemes, plans and going ons of Walmington-on-Sea, can keep you entertained for hours on end. This show really is what you could call a 'classic.'
  • A very funny British sitcom!

For years my Dad loved this show, but I just didn't get it. Then, one day, I watched and I loved! Now I own the show on DVD and I'm a big fan! This show is very very funny, from Mainwarring's pompous stupidty to Pike's inocence, everything went well together in this show.

The acting in this series is very funny, with my favourite characters been Walker and Pike. This truely shows what was once the great era of British sitcoms: when you look at the tripe that Britian churns out today and compare it to this, it is embarrasing! "The Green Green Grass" for instance is consistently unfunny, whereas "Dad's Army" is a guarrented laugh!

If you are a fan of other classic BBC sitcoms (e.g. "Blackadder", "Porridge", "Fawlty Towers" etc) then I would reccomend this show. Then again, if you are like me and mainly enjoy US shows, then you will also find this hilarious!

A great show by all accounts!
  • Maybe the best comedy britain has produced

This classic British comedy series, set in a fictional seaside town during World War II, follows a group of volunteer "home guards"--locals deemed to old to serve in the military. The programme stars Arthur Lowe, John Le Mesurier, Clive Dunn, and many others. Dads army was created by Jimmy perry and co-written by David croft, The two have now knocked up many great and classic comedys but Dads army still stays way ahead above the rest. Dads army will remain a timeless classic. Dads army will be remebered mainly for the catchphrases. It will remain to be the most repeated comedy on the telly for now and that will probably never change as it was so great.
  • Lose me on a desert island and give me a Dad's Army box set!

This show is quite possibly Croft and Perry's finest hour. I always feel in safe hands with these two very clever comedy writers. The humour of Dad's Army is wonderfully charming and very appealing, but where I think this series excels is in it's character developement. The main characters play against each other wonderfully, I'm sure much has already been writen about the genious of the Mainwarring/ Wilson relationship. As with all Croft and Perry scripts the characters ach have oportunities thoughout to show their very human frailties and strenghs. This show is well famed for it's many catchphases, my particular favourite being "You stupid boy" (Mainwarring to Pike).
  • To say that I love this show is an understatement.

Dad's Army is the best comedy ever written. It follows the Walmington-On-Sea Home Guard (part time soldiers) during the course of WW2. The platoon is led by the pompous Captain Mainwaring (Arthur Lowe), and the public school educated Sergeant Wilson (John Le Mesurier). Third in command is the decorated veteran Lance-Corporal Jones (Clive Dunn). Also in the platoon are a Cockney black-market dealing Private Walker (James Beck), a Scottish ex-Royal Navy Chief Petty Officer turned Undertaker named Fraser (John Laurie), a medic with bladder trouble named Godfrey (Arnold Ridley) and a mummy's boy named Pike (Ian Lavender). The platoon frequently gets into various types of trouble, and this usually leads to a clash with the Chief ARP Warden Hodges (Bill Pertwee).

A mix of subtle scripting, with gentle humour and a cast that is unsurpassed in sitcom history makes even the odd mediocre episode a pure joy to watch. The casting is a joy with the characters so broadly defined and so well rounded the episodes almost write themselves around the situation that the individual episode is based on.

Also ponder for a moment the irony of the fact that Dads Army became hugely popular after the death of the majority of the cast.

An all time classic.
  • True humour is ageless

If you can\'t laugh at this eyeglass view of people, their bravery and their frailty and see yourself in some of them your life is lacking.
    Nationality is irrelevant. When push comes to shove this is how we should draw together to show the best of the human condition under adversity
  • Superb!

Made you proud to be British - even if you weren't. Never ever tire of this show and so nice to see the missing episodes are (largely) available on DVD now. Tried showing it to my girlfriend who is from overseas though and the humour was lost on her. That was a bit dissappointing.