Dallas Forums

CBS (ended 1991)

Jumped the Shark?

radrobd

[21]Jul 1, 2007
    • level: 54
    [QUOTE="primetime97"]

volker704 wrote:
    I still don't understand how Miss Ellie and James Beaumont never meet despite being on the show together for more than half of season, with both living at Southfork during that time.  Ellie never even mentions James on screen, her own new grandson who is living in HER house.    

Yeah, the only time they were evenly remotely in a scene with each other was Bobby and April's wedding. The camera showed Miss Ellie in one room with April, then panned down the hallway to show James walk into John Ross' bedroom.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

radrobd

[22]Jul 1, 2007

Galmgalm wrote:
    I don't think so. His return was a credit to the show. And after all: The Dallas-writers were the first who created a dream sequence (afterwards)

I agree. Although the "Dream season" irked a lot of people, the reality of it was that the 9th season got off track from "Dallas" and turned into a "Dynasty" clone. By erasing that and bringing Patrick back as Bobby, the show could move forward and remain true to its original spirit. Besides, the only way the show could have brought Patrick back was as Bobby. The fans wouldn't have accepted him as a twin or look-a-like. The dream was the quickest way to revive him, although I personally thought that instead of a dream, Pam should havehallucinated seeing Bobby, while the real Bobby is secretly shown still alive somewhere after a year-long recuperation from his near-fatal car crash.

Edited on 07/01/2007 12:09am

radrobd

[23]Jul 1, 2007
    primetime97 wrote:

True, there were rumors that Ben Stivers was going to be Jock in the dream season (in fact even the writers were heading that way), so in a way having Steve Forrest come back as Wes Parmalee claiming to be Jock the next season seemed a repeat.   However, it was never revealed in the dream season as to who Ben Stivers was, so it wasn't a complete storyline repeat.

At the time, I actually thought Ben was going to turn out to be "Jason Ewing," Jamie and Jack's never seen father, who was thought to be dead. In fact, during the end of the 9th season, Jack seemed kind of annoyed at Ben.

TeamEdward1976

[24]Jan 26, 2010
    • level: 3
    I don't think it ever "jumped the shark".It came close a few times,but,it never jumped.

ct02809sb

[25]Jan 30, 2010
    • level: 5
    I think when Pam left, the show started to slide. Little by little, most of the other original cast members dropped out of the series. By the end, only J.R., Cliff and Bobby were left, I think.

TeamEdward1976

[26]Sep 24, 2010

Scandal2000 wrote:

I am probably in the minority but I don't think it jumped persay. The show simply ran out of gas after season 10. Almost all of the regulars had left and the new characters except for April who was on the show for five years just never caught on. The storylines were tired and were beginning to get repeated.

Personally I loved the Wes Parmalee storyline but they ended it rather abruptly.

Concerning the return of Bobby, I don't think there was any other way to do it. If Bobby had not returned the show would have been done within another year or two. It needed the two brothers battling. Having him return from the dead is common in soaps. I didn't have that big of a problem with it.

I did'nt have a problem with it,either.The show needed Bobby.

TeamEdward1976

[27]Sep 24, 2010

TeamEdward1976 wrote:

Scandal2000 wrote:

I am probably in the minority but I don't think it jumped persay. The show simply ran out of gas after season 10. Almost all of the regulars had left and the new characters except for April who was on the show for five years just never caught on. The storylines were tired and were beginning to get repeated.

Personally I loved the Wes Parmalee storyline but they ended it rather abruptly.

Concerning the return of Bobby, I don't think there was any other way to do it. If Bobby had not returned the show would have been done within another year or two. It needed the two brothers battling. Having him return from the dead is common in soaps. I didn't have that big of a problem with it.

I did'nt have a problem with it,either.The show needed Bobby.

And oh yeah,BTW,to whoever said the last episode was like A Christmas Carol.Actually,It waslike It's a Wonderful Life,not A Christmas Carol.

Coffeegulper

[28]Oct 19, 2010
    • level: 1

Wow, I never was aware that there was no acknowledgement that Miss Ellie was aware that James was staying at Southfork (and I've seen the series from beginning-to-end several times. Just goes to show you that the 'continuity people' weren't on the ball!

As for the "Jumping The Shark" question, I'll have to say that the beginning of the end came when Pam left. The character was so pivotal! And what made matters worse was that she survived that horrific car crash and the writers kept her alive (yet, living elsewhere)----and in the end, they go and have Pam (in shadows, as played by another actress) making a mention to her doctor that she's dying, anyway. Makes no sense! If they had no intention of bringing Pam back into the fold in the future, they may as well have killed her off in that car accident (as much as I loved the character).

Rich

Coffeegulper

[29]Oct 19, 2010
    • level: 1

Excellent proposed alternate scenerio you have there! I love it!

.....and if Bobby had been recovering from his injuries over the previous year and an entire season hadn't have been wiped out, the characters over in "Knots Landing" wouldn't have had to pretend he was still dead. LOL

Rich