Damages

But You Don't Do That Anymore

Aired Wednesday 9:00 PM Sep 12, 2012 on DirecTV

• Fitting ending to a terrific show

Death, duplicity, murder, lies, greed, power and money - all this and much more was seen on Damages. Five seasons of intrigue, drama and compelling performances. As a whole, it was a great show, a magnet of talented actors (Ted Danson, William Hurt, Dylan Baker, John Goodman...), complex and daring and unique with the case of the season and its trademark flash forward mystery. Although, I do think some seasons worked better than others, I truly think it never jumped the shark. That being said, as much as I loved the show, it was time to end it.

That being said, I thought the finale managed to pull all the pieces together and yet come back to the start of it all: did Patty try to kill Ellen or not? So, it was a moving episode that wrapped everything and came back to beginning.

-We've seen so much levels of damage that power can cause, to so many different people, directly, or indirectly. And thus, we reach the truly beautiful coda. Good thing there was a reason the purse strings had been as tight this Season and the production values went up for this episode, because it was much quicker and more beautiful than the episodes before, and the direction was excellent in the final minutes. And then the ultimate shot of the most damaged person in the series' world: Patty Hewes.

-In a way that was the ending I was hoping for: both women losing a lot, and those losses catalyzing their eventual, and final, closure. Michael's death scene was heartbreaking, I never liked him and still felt a pang of sorrow when I saw him foolishly threaten Scully.

-The pier scene was great, it was heartbreaking to watch Ellen once again fall apart upon realizing she had been played by Patty once more, this time into abstaining from every moral she'd claimed to have.

-Glenn Close had scene after amazing scene here. She absolutely killed the scene between Patty and her father, and that facial expression that closed out the series was deeply affecting.