Damages Forums

DirecTV (ended 2012)

Damages belongs on a different network

Deadwoodfan

[1]Apr 12, 2010
    • level: 2

Damages is one of the greatest shows on TV right now, but FX has done a horrible job promoting this show and everytime a season ends there is this doom and gloom wondering if it will be picked up for another season. If the show were to be moved to another network like USA or AMC viewership may increase and we won't have to worry about it being canceled at the end of every season

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

sumbur

[2]Apr 13, 2010
    • level: 3
    I'm from the UK and so watch it on BBC and don't know anything about FX really. I know ratings are down. To be honest, I don't think the BBC does the best job of promoting it but then again I think part of its appeal here is that it is somewhat cult and if it was 'Lost'-ified, its core audience might think it's turning mainstream (i.e. having to sacrifice some of its quality in order to "dumb down" the show).

Which is really my main question - even if FX doesn't do a good job promoting it, wouldn't a move to another channel potentially, well, damage the show?

I'm constantly amazed at how Damages has made it to season 3 without losing its edge, its quality, its integrity etc. Surely, even a small part of this has to be put down to FX?

(As I said though, I don't know much about US channels and perhaps those channels you mentioned would love to take on Damages and leave it in tact)

giggs92

[3]Apr 14, 2010
    • level: 4

Damages is on Showcase in Canada and I was furious that they just changed the day it is shown recently without any warning that I could see. I've watched some episodes on line and I think Showcase edits some of the episodes as I've seen scenes in the reviews at the beginning of the show that have not been in the tv broadcast. Anyway it is a terrific show and I hope there is another season.

slavinator26

[4]Apr 22, 2010
    • level: 10
    I beg to differ. I rarely watch t.v and saw Damages promoted on almost every network at least once during the commercial breaks when i chose to watch something. FX is owned by FOX which is owned by NewsCorp the highest rated,most profitable network run company out there known to man,with the best,highest paid marketing experts. Damages is an amazing show,don't get me wrong...but they wrapped up most of the storylines this season,which almost "concludes" the show. USA and AMC have about 1/4 the budget that FX has to put into it's shows...therefore the quality and precision of each artistic frame of perfectionin each episode of Damages would dissapear...killing the essence of the show altogether. The Creator's of Burn Notice and Mad Men would KILL to get their show on FX as it currently is the hardest of all the "Network" Channel's to get a show on since they invest the most money per episode

TypeB

[5]May 14, 2010
    • level: 6
    There's still no news whether it's been renewed or not. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Neksmater

[6]Jun 14, 2010
    • level: 38

And if it is to go the cancellation route it will be just like Kurt Cobain. Three albums, three seasons and died too good for this world. But at least we got three amazing highly rewatchable seasons out of it. It ending I'd prefer not but at least there was a somewhat finite ending to it all.

1LAwoman

[7]Jul 11, 2010
    • level: 1
    Yes, but honestly I'm still in shock that there was even a question about renewal, let alone that FX decided to pass on it. It's by far, BY FAR, the best show on any channel right now. I can't believe they couldn't draw a larger fan base for it.

martymcflyjb

[8]Jul 19, 2010
    • level: 10

Well you got your wish. Just when I thought it was a lost cause. I seriously screamed "oh my God!" out loud when I read the headline.