Damages Forums

DirecTV (ended 2012)

Episode Discussion: London. Of Course. 2x11 (Mar 18)

TesserT

[1]Mar 16, 2009
    • level: 76
    Discuss this week's episode London. Of Course. here.

from FX: While Claire Maddox risks everything to oust CEO Walter Kendrick, Ellen discovers a dark secret about Patty's personal life.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

RAYcluse

[2]Mar 19, 2009
    • level: 10

I think a lot of people expected Claire to try and oust Kendrick, and then see Phil's affair come out but it was done in the most shocking way. I can't believe Kendrick was spying on her while he gave her all that crap about trusting her. I would expect someone else to bring her down but not him. I wish they developed this guy more like they did with Frobisher. It would make him a lot more intersting. And how about Ellen dropping those photos in the mail carriage? I have to say I'm not a fan of Rose in this show but this episode she made some of the best "gotcha" faces I've ever seen. She never seems to show much emotion so it surprised me to see that. But how did Patty figure out it was her that gave her the photo's? I probably missed that part (I hope I did because I don't want that detail hanging).

Is Ellen's new detective trustworthy? I would say no but he did a lot of trustworthy stuff for her. She really does seem to be more like Patty now that Ellen has her own Malcolm running around for her. And I still can't buy that Ellen shot Patty. At least for obvious reasons. I don't know how they are going to pull that off without making Patty just want to get Ellen whacked again (or for the first time). Maybe she was throwing the FBI off Patty's trail? So she could do her own revenge thing.

Now that Patty knows that Ellen is angry with her, it seems like it's just going to get worse. With only two episodes left I'm worried and excited to see how this all comes together.

jaytek13

[3]Mar 19, 2009
    • level: 1

I think we can expect to see Kendrick developed more in the future. I don't think it was surprising at all though that he was just using Claire... ultimately every action this guy takes is for UNR: he had his wife murdered to save the company after all. I don't trust this guy for a second, but the question remains for me... why is he so invested in the company? I'm fairly certain we will learn more about this soon enough. How did Patty figure out Ellen sent those picture? I think it was just the order of events + Patty's deductive reasoning. Ellen learns Patty shut down the Forbisher investigation; Patty gets the photos; Patty learns Ellen ran into her husband at a hotel (and never bothered mentioning this to Patty).

What I'm kind of interested in is why Patty leaked the photos to the press. I would say it wasn't because of the affair. In an earlier episode, Patty had allowed her husband access to the documentation she had on UNR. Shortly after her husband reviewed it, he took up investments in energy futures. During episode 11, that guy (I don't know his name) told Patty he had begun investigating her husband's financials. I think in this she learned about his investments, and I think Patty would consider this the ultimate betrayal. Not only does it undermine her case against UNR, it displayed that her husband didn't have confidence in Patty to win the case. Patty is ultimately driven by her work, and I think it was the investments that hurt her the most, not the affair.

And then... does Patty now know Ellen is angry with her? Yeah, I suppose she does. I think she's always known that. Ellen has a lot of reasons to be angry with Patty (she involved Ellen in a coverup, if Ellen hadn't been involved with the Frobisher case her husband would still be alive). I don't think Patty suspects that Ellen thinks that she arranged for her murder. I think Patty is totally clueless about it and still thinks that it was herself that was supposed to be in the apartment that night (and be murdered).

Edited on 03/19/2009 3:43pm

TesserT

[4]Mar 19, 2009
    • level: 76
    jaytek13 wrote:

I think we can expect to see Kendrick developed more in the future. I don't think it was surprising at all though that he was just using Claire... ultimately every action this guy takes is for UNR: he had his wife murdered to save the company after all. I don't trust this guy for a second, but the question remains for me... why is he so invested in the company? I'm fairly certain we will learn more about this soon enough.

Daniel Purcell (the one sleeping with Claire) is the one who had his wife killed not Kendrick. He made a deal with Kendrick to lie about the toxicity report to protect himself & his daughter from Kendrick. Kendrick is the one who started and owns UNR thus he has a lot invested.

thefanof

[5]Mar 19, 2009
    • level: 102
    I'd like to see a different finish to this season instead of Walter Kendrick losing everything the way Frobisher did last year, but I have a feeling that's what we're going to get.

jaytek13

[6]Mar 20, 2009
    TesserT wrote:
    jaytek13 wrote:

I think we can expect to see Kendrick developed more in the future. I don't think it was surprising at all though that he was just using Claire... ultimately every action this guy takes is for UNR: he had his wife murdered to save the company after all. I don't trust this guy for a second, but the question remains for me... why is he so invested in the company? I'm fairly certain we will learn more about this soon enough.

Daniel Purcell (the one sleeping with Claire) is the one who had his wife killed not Kendrick. He made a deal with Kendrick to lie about the toxicity report to protect himself & his daughter from Kendrick. Kendrick is the one who started and owns UNR thus he has a lot invested.

Sorry, got my lines crossed. Just replace every instance of "Kendrick" in my post with "Purcell" (perhaps I should edit)...

As far as my opinion on Kendrick so far... I don't actually see a story developing for him. He doesn't seem to have any attachments outside of the company... and that's okay in my mind. He's a greedy sob and that's perfect.

filmstu2005

[7]Mar 20, 2009
    • level: 7

Brilliant episode. Seriously, it had me jumping out of my chair screamin n hollering OH MY GOD. Ellen is turning into Patty Hewes' clone. She was so innocent in the beginning and now she's getting colder n colder by the day. She even hired her own investigator, keepin tabs on things, i mean MAN. How r they gonna close out Ellen's personal storyline involving David's murder and then Kendrick's case?

I was literally shocked when Patty revealed she knew Ellen had sent the pics. Ellen did sort of make herself obvious. But the way it was done made me fear for her.

I love all these characters. Patty is the scariest, self-serving, conniving, egotistical, cold-hearted, heavily flawed, character that I have ever seen on television. She has way too many dimensions, which makes it hard to figure out what she really wants. She can control and keep tabs on everything around her, but she is so weak when it comes to her own family. And to think that she KNEW her husband was cheating. She KNEW. But she didnt want him to get caught, and THAT"S what pissed her off. She didnt want to know the details or see the evidence, even though deep down she knew he was doing it. And her son putting up a facade that he applied to college when he didnt? When that **** hits the roof....

Since now we know that Kendrick is somewhat involved in the FBI case targeting Patty, i dont think Ellen really kills Patty. I think they did it to expose the FBI and Kendrick. Like Patty said, "things are about to get ugly..."

RAYcluse

[8]Mar 21, 2009
    I think that Patty may be in on all the stuff Ellen is doing at the point she is (possibly) shot. I'm still not sure Patty's been wounded considering there isn't a clear gun shot in her body but just blood, and it's not even pouring out of her. It's just not adding up that way. Patty probably puts it together that Ellen is working for the FBI and tells Ellen the FBI is just using her because of the UNR case. Then in order to beat UNR, Patty sets up this weird blackmail scene in Ellens hotel room to outsmart the investigation. But someone does get shot and if it's not Patty, who is it?

The thing I don't get is the part when Ellen is arrested. Where exactlly is she when Werner cuffs her? That's def. not her room, but it could be at the office. Why didn't they just arrest her right away instead of waiting until she left the scene? Werner exposed her once he ran out and found Patty covered in blood so it doesn't add up, like a lot of stuff on this show.

torque4015

[9]Mar 21, 2009
    • level: 18
    RAYcluse wrote:

The thing I don't get is the part when Ellen is arrested. Where exactlly is she when Werner cuffs her? That's def. not her room, but it could be at the office. Why didn't they just arrest her right away instead of waiting until she left the scene? Werner exposed her once he ran out and found Patty covered in blood so it doesn't add up, like a lot of stuff on this show.

And If Ellen is arrested then when does that scene happen when She's in the shower and Rick enters with a gun is it before or after Ellen shoots Patty.

haldrey

[10]Mar 22, 2009
    • level: 22
    Only two to go, what a pity. The consistency of this show is tremendous, every episode is excellent, there is no bad bone in Damages.
    I believe that this season is going to have a surprising ending, unlike the first season, and we might have a cliffhanger.

HarrCy

[11]Mar 23, 2009
    Hi guys,

Here's the latest update on Damages starring Glenn Close and Rose Byrne. As we reach the halfway stage in Damages season 2, Patty goes to unusual lengths to accuse Ultima National Resources' CEO of being behind the murder of Daniel Purcell's wife. In this week's podcast interview, we talk to Glenn Close and Rose Byrne who reveal exclusive insights into the show. And this week's clip features some of season's 2 new characters, including William Hurt, Marcia Gay Harden and Timothy Olyphant, talking about their roles.

Episode 6 catch up
    Whilst Ultima National Resources (UNR) continue to bury evidence that links the company to the water pollution of West Virginia, Patty uses a TV interview to accuse UNR's boss Walter Kendrick of the murder of Daniel Purcell's wife. Claire Maddox uses this to end her affair with Daniel and encourages Kendrick to sue Patty for defamation to stop the growing damage to UNR's stock price. In a chance meet, Kendrick ignores Frobisher's advice to avoid a confrontation with Patty and orders Claire to sue to the tune of $200m.

Meanwhile, Katie comes across the rogue cop Eliot Tolken who tailed her during the Frobisher lawsuit. Whilst Katie is concerned, Ellen is hoping to use Tolken to tie Frobisher to David O' Conner's murder but Tolken knows too much and is killed. Finally, Patty settles the defamation case against Kendrick and tells Ellen that she's found a new plaintiff in the case against UNR. What Patty doesn't tell Ellen is that the plaintiff is none other than Frobisher.

In next week's episode
    Will Patty tell Ellen that Frobisher is the new plaintiff in the case against UNR? Will Frobisher shed any light on who killed David and will Uncle Pete cave in under the pressure of the FBI?

Damages on iTunes
    If you love Damages, Episodes 1-6 are available for download now on iTunes at http://www.itunes.com/tv/damages. Subsequent episodes will be available the day after they're broadcast on BBC One, Sundays at 10:20pm. Podcast interview with Glenn Close and Rose Byrne In this week's exclusive podcast interview, we spoke with Glenn Close and Rose Byrne who told us what it's like working on scenes they don't know the outcome of. And, as uncle Pete continues to suspect Ellen and voices his concerns to Patty, Rose told us if Ellen is starting to get scared. For non-iTunes users, you can see the podcast interview here http://tinyurl.com/aj6wgp and for iTunes users, you can see it here http://tinyurl.com/bmgo8h.

FCBarca

[12]Mar 23, 2009
    • level: 15

Just a phenomenal series really...Far & away best written & acted series on network television, IMHO.

Amazing that there are only 2 episodes left...The 'fear' about this series not surviving Fx's cut remains, however...Regardless of them being signed on for next season etc...In this economic climate, you just never know...So, enjoy it while it lasts

RAYcluse

[13]Mar 24, 2009
    You know, now that I think about it the editors keep showing Patty and Ellen saying "Just the two of us". I think it's a good bet that it isn't exactlly the two of them in that room after all, and it's a trick on the FBI. Why? I don't know but I'll gladly pay money to anyone who does know to tell me

FCBarca

[14]Mar 24, 2009
    • level: 15

RAYcluse wrote:
    You know, now that I think about it the editors keep showing Patty and Ellen saying "Just the two of us". I think it's a good bet that it isn't exactlly the two of them in that room after all, and it's a trick on the FBI. Why? I don't know but I'll gladly pay money to anyone who does know to tell me

Definitely agree

alana15

[15]Mar 24, 2009
    • level: 30
    RAYcluse wrote:

I really think, that will be more people in that room too!