Damages Forums

DirecTV (ended 2012)

Episode Discussion: The Next One's Gonna Go In Your Throat 3x13 (Apr 19)

TesserT

[1]Apr 15, 2010
    • level: 76
    Let's discuss Monday's Season 3 finale, The Next One's Gonna Go In Your Throat, here.

Check out the PROMO for the finale over at FXNetworks.com .
    Edited on 04/16/2010 10:19am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

haldrey

[2]Apr 16, 2010
    • level: 22
    Looks like it is going to be a bloody one.

filmstu2005

[3]Apr 20, 2010
    • level: 7

This has by far, been the BEST episode of Damages to date. Period. The best written.The unraveling of the mystery, the character developments...the level of intensity nearly threw me out of my chair. It was just like reading a suspenseful novel. And I agree with the above poster, it was definitely the bloodiest episode ever, had me squirming at some parts.

Season 2 finale i had a few issues with. This season finale was just about perfect. Everything came together nicely and I have to commend the writers of this series for their radiant brilliance as masters of the pen. I hope they get recognized this Emmy season.The show's writers, the show's actors, especially GLEN CLOSE. SHe is completely fantastic in her role as Patty Hews and deserves every nomination she garners.

First of all, poor Tom. Poor poor Tom. Every season he gets the short end of the stick. 1st season he gets "fired." S2 he gets fired again, but with good intent. S3 he finally takes matters into his own hands, resigns, and gets killed. For the first time he was exerting control over his own life, stepping away from the 2nd fiddle "monkey" role he played for Patty Hewes. Unfortunately he made too many mistakes in his decisions and it cost him his life. Still, dont u think he should've called an ambulance with that final phone call he made? SPOILER: And drowning in the toilet?Please tell meI wasnt the only one thinking, "Dude,just FLUSH!!

Ellen...She was actually quite reserved this season. Rose Byrne played the character incredibly well, as always, but she barely broke out of this quietly calm post-Patty confession Season 3 shell...she only stepped out of that box to show off this "quiet thunder" defense mechanism whenever someone came at her from the wrong angle. I'm very glad she found some peace in David's death and learning thatFrobisuer actually was behind it. And Wes...even though he had to be written out, they still gave him some great character development for the finale. Though I'm still not sure why he turned himself in...maybe it was out oflove for Ellen.

Patty Hewes...Un-f u c k!ng-believable...I never expected to learn what we learned about her, and it paints her as an even more terrifyingly complex and amazing character. To intentionally cause the demise of your unborn child in order to succedd in the legal world...In many ways she is a cold-blooded murderer, and it scares me sh!tless..Ambition is avery a dangerous thing and Patty is the perfect example. I'm sure she has her regrets about the choices she's made in the past. Does anyone think she'll try to confiscate Julie's baby to keep for herself, to sort of make amends for what she did to her stillborn child? Though I'm not sure I can see Patty Hewes doing something like that. Still, what she did to Julie was monstrous and totally uncalled for, but Julie was foolish to think she could play "power games" against Patty Hewes. An art dealer going up against PATTY-fu ck!ng-HEWEs? She totally annihilated her.

So the entire Ponzee scheme was Joe's fault? His father was just covering his mistakes? Michael was the one who crashed into his mom's car with Ellen's car? Tom was killed by Joe Toobin after being stabbed by the hitman? Ellen's Chanel bag (which i wondered y was so important, now i know!) was actually stolen by the homeless man? Mrs. Toobin jumped into the East River and committed suicide?

...The great thing about this show is that every character behaves likea real person. They display real feelings, real emotions, real strengths and weaknesses. Even the secondary characters behave in this manner, and everyone is pretty good at this chess game. As Patty once said "Everyone is looking to play an angle."

Now if we could justget justice onthose 2 guys that facilitated the assasination ofTessa Marquetti and Patty's guardman on the island of Antigua, and i'll resign a happy man.

Edited on 04/19/2010 11:51pm
    Edited 3 total times.

Zaf31

[4]Apr 20, 2010
    • level: 9

As much as it pains me to say it, I didn't like the finale.

As the finale approached I was worried that all the storylines would come together in a forced and slightly contrived way. That's nothing new for Damages but this time, for some reason, it felt particularly bad.

Towards the mid-way point of the episode, elements like Ellen's bag, the homeless man, the suicide on the bridge - all felt forced. Even the fan-service like the arrest of Frobisher and Wes didn't work for me.

When the credits rolled, all I thought was that the writers found out late into production that Season 3 might be the last, so they wanted to wrap up as much as possible.

Neosword

[5]Apr 20, 2010
    • level: 6

I really did like the finale, and I think this is my favorite season of the three.

The key for the finale was always going to be tying up everything in a way that made sense, and having a few surprises up their sleeve. I think the writers did both very well. I was happy with the way everything ended up and I really hope it comes back for a fourth season as long as they can remain at the high level they were this season.

saraint

[6]Apr 20, 2010

Loved it. I can only reiterate the positive comments made above; fantastic acting and writing and hope the show receives the accolades it deserves.

Interesting to see that Winstone's father was working with him when he got the money last episode and the envelope this episode. I thought he was going to ruin everything, but I was wrong! Interesting also was that Winstone was allowed to escape. I didn't mind that at all! I didn't feel that he carried much of the blame for all the wrong-doings.

I really hope that the series continues. I don't care for all the criticisms really, because if it was easy to write a show like this then it wouldn't feel such ashame to lose it! The devices used to create suspense, intrigue and misdirection, may be just that, but at least Damages can never be called predictable. Most programs trot out the same predictable formulae every episode and I understand that some people (from the ratings I judge, a lot of people) prefer to stay in their comfort zone watching TV, that they aren't looking for mental stimulation, that they prefer TV watching to remain a passive experience.But for those of us that long for something more meaty to dig our teeth into, Damages delivers on every level.

It has survived thus far, so obviously someone in the decision making department still cares about quality! Fingers crossed!

filmstu2005

[7]Apr 20, 2010
    • level: 7

has anyone noticed that every season's main villain has a lawyer, (S1, forgot his name but he shot himself in the head, S2 Claire Maddoz, S3 Winstone) has some kind of problem and is a huge factor inthe seasons's resolution. It seems that if you really want to get to the bad guy, you'll have to go thru his lawyer first.

ivalice1980

[8]Apr 21, 2010
    Despite a few unanswered questions, this was a wonderful ending to what I believe is the best season of the series. The pacing was a little slow throughout the season, to be sure, but man, was it worth it.

I've gotta give props to the actors, all of who seemed to be at their very best here, particularly Campbell Scott, Lily Tomlin, and Martin Short. Many have proclaimed this series as having the best cast on television, and I completely agree, especially when it comes to guest actors. Not much need be said about Glenn - she has never let me down in the acting department. Rose Byrne was also much more restrained this season, but still remained a compelling heroine, as she struggled to come to terms with her family issues, as well as her relationship with Patty. And I absolutely LOVED Rose and Glenn's final scenes together.

If this truly is the end of Damages, I am grateful for everyone involved for creating such a riveting piece of drama.

milkhaswings

[9]Apr 22, 2010
    • level: 13
    If the show continues (fingers crossed as well!) I would love to see Winstone return in some capacity, he was my favorite new character this season.

Anyway, amazing finale. Not much else to say that hasn't been said.
    Poor poooor Tom..

FCBarca

[10]Apr 22, 2010
    • level: 15
    Just a phenomenal series...Another fantastic finale and how can you not be drawn to Damages??

Amazing with all the flash forwards in the series, there were still plenty of twists & turns in the finale.

Disappointed for Tom, obviously, but I think my only letdown for the series was Ellen taking more of a backseat to Patty...Yet, if someone is going to drive this series, no one better than Patty for it

13 episodes is quite short compared to other series but I'd rather take that then the fluff that fills out a series schedule for a season...I hope it's back and that it won't take as long as it did to get to Season 3

aaronmcc

[11]Apr 22, 2010

I'm gonna have to disagree with most of you.

While the season was well written, with the mystery unravelling in a very intriguing manner, I had one problem. But this problem was so big it is an unforgivable sin in my opinion. Tom should not have died. Period. I know for the purposes of dramatic effect we found out he was dead from episode 1 but what we waited 12 weeks for was him drowning in a toilet. No no no NOOOOOOOO! This was a disgrace.

There is no way that he wouldn't seek medical attention for being stabbed.

It is too much of a coincidence that Joe was at his house at the same time he was.

Finally, losing a character like Tom should have been a milestone. Something to remember. But instead he gets a send of worthy of a whistley fart. He was the underdog and perhaps that's why I wanted him to come out on top but I would have been happy with a melancholy scenario. This was just flat out stupid. They just went one step too far this time....and they lost me.

The irony is that my other 'used to be' favourite show Dexter did exactly the same thing in it's season finale. Foolishly murdering a crucial character they had no reason to. Once the shock factor has subsided both these series writers will be finding it tricky to carry on without major puzzle pieces.

Edited on 04/22/2010 12:37pm
    Edited 2 total times.

Killer1One

[12]Apr 22, 2010
    • level: 12

Well i did liked the finale.

I liked that Windstone scaped because i felt like he deserved a break. But i am glad that those tobins got what they needed and all the mysteries were solved. However Tom's Death could have been better overall i liked it.

tjaman

[13]Apr 22, 2010
    • level: 32
    Trite. Disjointed. Deeply unsatisfying, and entirely beneath them. Patty's whole nightmare this entire season was focused once again on the stillbirth she induced? Her class action clients cut her loose and she wanders by, telling Tom and Ellen "oh, stop," screams at Ellen when she doesn't just acquiesce -- with no obvious reason for this spaz attack -- and after just wandering around destroying what's left of her own family (while reminiscing about Julia's death 40 years ago), she finds three minutes to resolve the case of the season what has been a multilayered Ponzi coverup.

At least it got three minutes. It felt like the whole damn' thing was going to be about what happened to Frobisher. From three years ago.

Some people -- maybe most people -- enjoyed it, but in all reality this could end up being the series finale. *raspberry

And if it's not, they'll end up spending way too much time aftermathing the Tobins. No DAMAGES that's a BAD DAMAGES!

On the plus side, theme music The V.L.A.'s "When I am Through With You" is finally available on iTunes. Yay!

moebiusrx

[14]Apr 23, 2010
    • level: 1
    Aaronmcc u never know if they make a 4th series it could still have tom in it i mean season 2 finished with Ellen shooting Patty and we heard nothing of that in this series,i found season 3 to be SUCH A LETDOWN after 2 great seasons

tjaman

[15]Apr 23, 2010
    • level: 32
    Patty clearly recovered, but Tom's pretty certifiably drowned ... >_>

giggs92

[16]Apr 23, 2010
    • level: 4

I love this show and have enjoyed all 3 seasons. I hope there is a 4th. I have one question and that is about the architect Dekker (?) who was going to redo Patty's apartment and he is also the guy with the horse where the young Patty walks to. Is he just part of her imagination as the architect and he didn't really exist?

TesserT

[17]Apr 25, 2010
    • level: 76
    giggs92 wrote:

I have one question and that is about the architect Dekker (?) who was going to redo Patty's apartment and he is also the guy with the horse where the young Patty walks to. Is he just part of her imagination as the architect and he didn't really exist?

I think Julian really did exist from her past - when, in flashback, we saw a pregnant Patty petting a horse at a farm owned by Julian - this seemed to be the defining moment of Patty's life and he was a figment of her imagination in the present day. It all boiled down to Ellen's question to Patty as to whether it was all worth it. She chose to walk when she was told bed rest for needed to avoid pregnancy complications. The walk brought on the premature birth and thus became the architecture for Patty's future - she was free to pursue her career. Finding out Michael and Jill were having a baby brought back those memories of what she did to get where she was today.

giggs92

[18]Apr 27, 2010
    • level: 4
    Thank you; I think that's kind of what I thought but wasn't sure.

catwoman77

[19]Apr 28, 2010

I always enjoy watching Damages for the interesting plotting and storylines, as well as the inimitable Glenn Close.

I enjoyed this season with its focus on the Tobin case. Lily Tomlin, Martin Short, and Campbell Scott were all terrifically terrifying!

I agree with those who said that Tom's demise was anti-climactic. First getting repeatedly stabbed, then having his head held down in a toilet bowl--too much! And he could have saved himself by just calling an ambulance right away. Not a good ending for Tom Shayes.

I liked that Frobisher got his comeuppance. His enormous ego was begging to be deflated. I liked the storyline about the movie being made of his life and the fact that he convinced himself that he had changed.

Ellen was rather boring this season. The storyline about her mother almost giving her up when she was a child went nowhere. She didn't really confront her mother after she discovered the truth.

I hope the series continues for at least another season. Patty has been psychologically spiraling downward after her divorce, her estrangement from her son, and now reliving her first pregnancy. It's telling that after Ellen asks her if it was all worth it she doesn't reply.

I only have one question that's been bothering me--whatever happened to Carol Tobin, Joe's sister? Wasn't she the one who killed Tessa's mother?