TV.com will be making some changes to our user base starting Feb 25, 2015. For more information click here

Damages Forums

DirecTV (ended 2012)

Episode Discussion: Trust Me 2x13 (Apr 1)

TesserT

[1]Mar 30, 2009
    • level: 79
    Let's discuss this week's Season 2 Finale Trust Me here.

from FX: Patty goes to extremes to win her case against UNR, as Ellen's season long quest for revenge builds to an explosive conclusion.

Anyone care to hazard a guess if we're left hanging with a great big question for Season 3?
    Edited on 03/31/2009 1:45pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

FCBarca

[2]Mar 30, 2009
    • level: 15

About the only 'real' cliffhanger they left for fans after Season 1 was whether Ellen was gonna take Patty down...It was assumed Frobisher was dead.

They seem to have approached tying up a lot less things this season...The UNR lawsuit doesn't appear to be anywhere near resolution, Ellen being hunted by Frobisher's men, Purcell being 'outted' for being involved with his wife's death and whether it's really Patty that gets killed...A lot still ahead for even the 1 1/2 hour Finale.

I suspect if they leave any kind of cliffhanger it'd be about whether Patty lives if she indeed is shot...A bit less of a shock if she does compared to Frobisher living, IMHO.

If I had to guess, I'd say whether or not Ellen & Patty continue working together...Feels like the writers have spent so much time with double twists etc. that they haven't really moved the story along THAT much....Seems like they have a lot of ground to cover in the Finale although I think they did similar in the Season 1 Finale too.

I hope we don't have to wait more than a year for the series to return for Season 3, either.

RAYcluse

[3]Mar 31, 2009
    • level: 10
    I read an article someone posted on IMDB that somehow the whole Ellen/Patty conflict would be resolved in the end. That really is the way they need to go to continue the show but I don't see how that's going to work. I know they'll make it work, but I don't see it happening yet.

RAYcluse

[4]Mar 31, 2009

BTW, the FX website (finally!) lists the title of this episode as "Trust Me".

Hmm...

firedrakes

[5]Apr 1, 2009
    • level: 13
    well it was a intresting season finale to say the less

tjaman

[6]Apr 2, 2009
    • level: 32
    I love every frame of this show. Beautiful storytelling, outrageously talented cast -- it's art all the way through. Loved the showdown between Patty and Ellen, and I loved the double-twist with the FBI agent. And that song at the end ... I need to track down that marvelous song! Well done, people. Well done all the way through.

Obaida

[7]Apr 2, 2009
    • level: 9

tjaman wrote:
    And that song at the end ... I need to track down that marvelous song!

Jem - Keep on Walking

aaronc1987

[8]Apr 2, 2009
    • level: 9

Terrific! They brought back Ray and Arthur!! Loved all the conclusions and surprises and how they were able to wrap it all up.

Arthur's brief appearance - why did they show it? Was it a catch up with Arthur time, or perhaps are they looking to set up something for next season? I really hope so.

Wasn't much of William Hurt after his mindblowing performance last week, but with everything else, I could live with it. It looks like maybe some characters could be coming back season, namely Wes. I... to be honest... believed he was the one to get shot and although he was in the next room, he didn't take the bullet, nor did anyone else. I guess Ellen really didn't have it in her. Funny how Patty, stabbed and having a gun pointed to her head, still tried to use her wit to manipulate Ellen into taking the bribe with Judge Oliver. I was surprised she went for it.

Great episode and can't wait to see what they come up with for season 2!

TesserT

[9]Apr 2, 2009
    • level: 79
    Fabulous finale! Loved the double twist - nothing was as it seemed. No more worries about the detective trying to kill Ellen for next season. Tom was in on the game - should have seen that coming. I thought Patty was sending Ellen to her demise but instead she needed her to deliver the money as part of her plan to uncover the real bad guys & get the damaging info she needed on Kendrick & UNR. So it seems Patty was looking out for Ellen & Ellen was looking out for Patty ("the feds are watching" note). Couldn't have asked for a better ending to the season. Ellen with a smile at the end - maybe the end of her dark days will see her in a new light next season - looks like Wes will be back. That smile on Patty's face at the end - wonder if she offered a partnership to Ellen - whatever you know Patty has something up her sleeve. And Frobisher showing up at the end - wonder if that plays a part in Ellen's future. The writers sure know how to spin a tale, revealing pieces & flashbacks ep by ep. Can't wait for season 3
    Edited on 04/02/2009 12:58pm

tjaman

[10]Apr 2, 2009
    Obaida wrote:

tjaman wrote:
    And that song at the end ... I need to track down that marvelous song!

Jem - Keep on Walking

Thanks ever so!

thejanet

[11]Apr 3, 2009
    • level: 5
    Could Ellen maybe, just possibly... be almost decided to go back to work for Patty??

(at least that's what I think the dialog between Patty/Tom and Ellen/David means)

What a great finale.

kosmos100

[12]Apr 3, 2009
    • level: 12
    I like the finale but are they friends now?. I mean the 3rd season looks like is not going to be a Patty VS Ellen season.

tjaman

[13]Apr 3, 2009
    I think Ellen will continue her transformation into Patty, and I can't wait!

RAYcluse

[14]Apr 3, 2009
    kosmos100 wrote:
    I like the finale but are they friends now?. I mean the 3rd season looks like is not going to be a Patty VS Ellen season.

I think they respect each other, because they're so similar in their efforts to destroy one another. Patty's not intimidated by Ellen, because she's so young. And Ellen feels like Patty is needed, but probably hasn't forgiven her for the whole "Patty tried to kill me". I still need to process this episode before I talk about it. It had to be the most nail biting television episode I've ever seen.

rickvega

[15]Apr 3, 2009
    • level: 8

I think that Ellen will head back to work with Patty, I love the finale. And more over KEEP ON WALKING by JEM just became my fav. song.

I think that Ellen will become like more like Patty. And God will give her strenght to keeep on walking keeeeep on keep on keep on walking.

haldrey

[16]Apr 4, 2009
    • level: 22
    Superb! The season surely ended with a bang, well a lot of bangs and surprises. The last words of Patty stating that Ellen will be back is a good omen for the future of the show. I sure wish for a third season although faster than what it took from season one to season two.

filmstu2005

[17]Apr 5, 2009
    • level: 7

Eh...I thought it was a great finale, but i had some problems with it.

1) Patty's dream. All the men in her life that she screwed over came back to haunt her. But the dream wasn't effective enough, especially when Ellen showed up in the kitchen. It wouldve made more for a dramatic effect had Ellen stabbed her in the back in the dream after saying "Trust no one", which would explain more as to how Patty figured out Ellen was the FBI informant upon waking up.

2)The showdown. I agree, when Ellen confronted Patty in the hotel room I was pissing my pants. (Rose Byrn is a phenomenal actress btw. The way she was teasing the camera, drinking her wine and waving the gun in Patty's face. "And who knows? Maybe the truth will set you free." Just phenomenal. Gave me chills. And Glen Close really knows how to play terrified.) I think I shi t t ed my pants when Patty finally admitted to trying to kill her. i couldnt figure out y she was so shaken up though till, of course, later. But SPOILER: The guy stabbing her? Uh...They should've hinted at that just a bit more so we could suspect something odd. Very choppy editing too. And where did West run to? I thought he entered Ellen's room, where Patty was flipping out from her wound. Didnt he see her leave?

3) The Resolution. Okay, I'm glad the bad guys lost. I wasnt sure how Tom was in on it, or was he? The whole Patty recording her illegal conversation with the guy is the oldest trick in the book. I wouldve expected more from a brilliant mind like Patty. And then the arrest of the two season villains (forgot their names). Uh..correct me if I'm wrong but we've invested a season into these dangerous guys. They've done some unspeakable things and all we get is not even a 10 second showing of their arrest? The audience needed to witness and experience the happiness that they got caught and arrested. I wanted to see them resisting and being the arrogant a**holes we know they are as they're taken to their jails. Oh, and y would the main CEO bad guy show up at a traders hotel room threatneing to kill his hooker? Come on, u mean to tell me this filthy rich SOB whose been careful for some time decides to put his career in jeopardy by making threats?

4) And then the last scene with Ellen at the David's grave and Patty at the lake. Horrible editing. They shouldnt have tried to intermix both scenes and should've let Elen have her seperate screentime and Patty have hers. Then at the end cut back to Ellen walking away, smiling.

With all that said, the resolution didnt sit well with me, but i loved this episode. Great acting, great storytelling.

FCBarca

[18]Apr 5, 2009
    • level: 15
    Gonna have to watch it a few more times to have it really sink in but wow. Best written series on TV, IMHO...And the acting?...In a class by itself...Just great stuff.

Fudge20dip

[19]Apr 9, 2009
    • level: 2
    First let me say Season 2 surpassed Season 1 by such a great difference. Last season it felt like some episodes were filler episodes, but generally this season it seems as if ever single episode moved the story to such an itense and thrilling outcome. I like how Ellen has received some form of justice for her fiance's death and she is completely oblivious to it. Every question was pretty much answered this season except for one, "Why did David Pale get the investigation against Patty Hewes started?" The FBI was introduced at the end of last season, Patty Hewes was not taking on his company last season. Frobisher was a stock holder in Kendrick's company, not David Pale and they never showed any type of friendship between the two characters. Last but not least, I want to say that the scheme that UNR was doing using a SUV with a naviagation system to determine when factories were going to go out was so clever.

RAYcluse

[20]Apr 9, 2009

I'm surprised I was able to guess that Wes was going to kill Messer. That's about all I had right.

Patty getting stabbed in the elevator? Ellen shooting the camera? Tom bringing his sister into that mess? It was insane and confusing and I love it for that. And I really loved when Wes saved Patty. I hope they bring that up in season 3. Wes was the only character I really enjoyed the whole season. Harden and Hurt I liked, but it took a while to really understand them and like them.

Having watched the entire second season over the weekend, I can honestly say it's MUCH easier to understand watching back to back. I think that's why a lot of people have been complaining (on other sites), because most people watching are here because of the season 1 DVDs and marathons. They're spoiled I guess, but either way this trumps season 1 hands down. Now how will they top it next year???