Damages Forums

DirecTV (ended 2012)

Episode Discussion: You Were His Little Monkey 3x12 (Apr 12)

TesserT

[1]Apr 9, 2010
    • level: 74
    Let's discuss Monday's episode You Were His Little Monkey here.

from FXNetworks.com: Patty and Ellen set out to tear the Tobin family apart. When Tom Shayes' job and marriage unravel, he strikes up a deadly alliance.

Check out the PROMO for this episode over at FXNetworks.com .
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

ivalice1980

[2]Apr 13, 2010
    • level: 6
    My goodness, what an episode. TONS of revelations, and even some connections back to the first season. This definitely feels like it's headed towards a series finale, but like many Damages fans, I'm hoping this next episode won't be the series' swan song.

-Jill. I have to mention Jill simply because I LOVED the way she used Patty. Quite the devious gal! Can't wait to see what transpires between these two. -Tom. He was blessed with a great story this season, which makes his ultimate demise that much more heartbreaking. -Terry/Frobisher. I think I'm beginning to understand his role in this season. Perhaps Terry is simply a device to uncover more about Arthur Frobisher than we knew. I don't know. It's not that I don't like this story - I think it's kind of brilliant - but in the grand scheme of things, it seems unnecessary, especially if there's not going to be another season.

-Ellen. Her scenes with Patty were a joy to watch, as always. It looks like we may be getting some closure on David's death, and we may get some more info on Wes. All of this feels a little rushed, but once again, given the series' uncertain future, it makes sense that the writers want to tie up as many loose ends as possible. But still--WHAT WAS DAVID'S GIFT TO ELLEN??

-Lenny/Lester. Martin Short was spectacular in this episode. We learned more about his character than anyone else. There's an Emmy nomination waiting for him, mark my words.

-The Tobins. Oh man, this has been one hell of a ride. These guys are definitely going down, but it's going to get really, really ugly before they do. That's all I'm going to say.

Season 3 has really exceeded my expectations. Sure, it's been a little rushed in places, and certain story arcs could have been developed a little sooner (Frobisher!), but it's still been a highly addictive, dramatically intense ride. I think the upcoming finale is going to be awesome!

saraint

[3]Apr 13, 2010
    • level: 6

I have alsoreally enjoyed the series and agree that it has seemed rushed in places. However, I have a few points of my own:

1) Not sure I agree about Jill - I just thought what a stupid move; Patty will annihilate her! Patty ALWAYS comes out on top.

2) I don't really buy the whole 'Tom Shaye the hero' idea. He is so desperate and is sleeping on the floor with a bum. That doesn't reek of planning to me! He has always seemed so weak and puppet-like.MorelikeHE is Patty's "little monkey"!

3)The con-artist father - what a pig! I hate him and like the Martin Short character ina lot of ways. I really hopethe dad gets it!

4) Curious about the architect and the horse! What the hell are those dreams about? I didn't see Series1, so maybe I'm missing something. Seems like the flat is a metaphor for Patty and that whenhe said breaking down the walls would show the heart of the appartment, he was talking about her.She was opening herself up to Ellen and feels vulnerable about caring about another person - explains her outburst to Ellen last episode.

5) Hope we get to see Wes again. I was a bit disappointed not to see him atthe start of the series - thought it had been an easywrite-out due to Timothy O's new series. More info would be good.

6) I too can't wait to see the demise of the family. Although ithas been a sad tale ofa boy becominga man in all the wrong ways,sinceJoe hadTessa killed, any sympathy I felt for him has evaporated.

7) Lastly, I'm keen to understand why we had the story about Ellen's family this season. For me there haven't been any gasping revelations and I feel that line of enquiry has been less than satisfying. Maybe the last episode will shed some light. I get that Ellen now understands why she is drawn to Patty (especially since her daydream about her late husband), but surely there is more.

Maybe one more: is this series really about how a disciple grows to imitate their master?

sumbur

[4]Apr 13, 2010
    • level: 3

Wow. My heart nearly stopped when that intertitle came up saying "3. Days. Later". That was terrifying. I almost couldn't watch.

I really liked this episode.

If I were going to critique it, I would say that I think they have tried to fit too much into one episode. I suppose the atmosphere of chaos and too much at once could play into the hype before the final episode. But in previous episodes, they've tugged at one or two threads at a time, with the focus on the Tobins in one episode and on Patty in another. In this episode it was the Tobins/Patty/Tom/Ellen/Tessa Marchetti/Lenny/Arthur Frobisher/Jill. The scenes with Jill and Terry Brook seemed too hurried. In fact, I would definitely have got rid of the Jill storyline and gone for more on Arthur/Terry because I actually like the tying up with the Arthur/Rick/Wes storyline.

I saw Jill's move coming a mile off. Although I couldn't really believe they would take that path. I guess Jill has never been portrayed as particularly clever so perhaps she would make such a stupid move. Or maybe she knows something that we don't. We can only hope.

Ellen's family storyline last week has not satisfied me at all. They could have discussed her reasons for liking Patty some other way.

As for praise... well, I think everyone involved in this episode did a fantastic job. The Tobins are vicious; the Wiggins - conniving; Tom is surprising; in fact, Patty is coming out as the moral heroine. Almost. If I think back to season 1, when she tormented Ellen, I hated her. I mean, I thought she was brilliant. But I thought she was pure evil. Now I think she's fantastic and her ruthlessness and cunning is only to her credit.

Tom's story breaks my heart. I'm certain the bridge-jumper is a bluff. But it's so hard watching this knowing that whatever happens, he ends up dead.

Oh, and the car - when Tom was looking it up online, we were supposed to think he was looking it up to buy it, right? And then a few days later he uses it to crash into Patty? Is this more of his 'plan'? So that Patty definitely has an alibi for when the deal is finalised.

sumbur

[5]Apr 13, 2010
    • level: 3
    saraint wrote:

6) I too can't wait to see the demise of the family. Although ithas been a sad tale ofa boy becominga man in all the wrong ways,sinceJoe hadTessa killed, any sympathy I felt for him has evaporated.

I had sympathy for Joe pretty much up until he put Danielle Marchetti in the car when he knew she should be in hospital. He seemed to descend into absolute evil pretty quickly from there. Especially given the revelation about his hand in Danielle's death.

Deadwoodfan

[6]Apr 13, 2010
    • level: 2

In the controntation between Joe and Lenny I desperately wanted to see Lenny tell Joe that he had in fact put a hit out on his own daughter. I swear these Tobins are the most dispicable bunch that I've seen on TV. Also I hope there is some type of twist at the end of the season and that Tom is in fact Not dead, he is one of the few genuinely good people on this show. Everybody else on this show is just plain evil.

UltraTraveler

[7]Apr 13, 2010
    • level: 9
    I feel sorry for Tom, who have worked so hard to keep his family and parents in law happy. His wife is just a total disappointment. What's her right to deny Tom to his children while she has done nothing helpful!

haldrey

[8]Apr 16, 2010
    • level: 22
    UltraTraveler wrote:
    I feel sorry for Tom, who have worked so hard to keep his family and parents in law happy. His wife is just a total disappointment. What's her right to deny Tom to his children while she has done nothing helpful!

Agree, looks like she was with Tom only while there was money and going was good, quite a selfish gal. The episode was super, informative with a great storyline. Awaiting the finale of this sadly short season.