Damages Forums

DirecTV (ended 2012)

horrible show

breezy2281

[1]Jun 10, 2008
    • level: 19
    i lost interest less than halfway through it but kept watching in hopes it would get better. a few eps later i was so bored i wasn't even paying attention and did all i could do to stay awake. it was repetitious and never had much that was new and it was dragged out. eventually i couldn't even finish the end of the first season because i couldn't stand it anymore.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

ardentious

[2]Jun 14, 2008
    • level: 7

Wow... That's great... Thanks for sharing? The point of your post is to, what?

And by not watching the final episode, you missed a lot of explanation! Oh well...

fatjoez

[3]Dec 25, 2008
    • level: 1
    Name a good tv show then

So we can all see what tickles your pickle
    Edited on 12/25/2008 2:20am

bernsd3

[4]Dec 30, 2008
    • level: 9
    Wow, that is quite a post for what is actually a brilliantly written show. While not every show on TV is for everyone, it appears as though you found one that is not up your alley -- sorry. This show with Glenn Close, Ted Danson, Zeljko Ivanek, Tate Donovan & so many others in season 1 was a diamond in 2008, espcially with the WGA strike we had just gone through which killed a lot of other great shows.

TakenMisery

[5]Jan 4, 2009
    • level: 12
    I haven't come across too many people who watched this and did not enjoy it. It was well written and acted and I was always on the edge of my seat screaming for the next episode or not wanting this one to end!

thefanof

[6]Jan 7, 2009
    • level: 102
    Don't know what to tell you. Everybody cannot like the show, but in my opinion it's one of the best-written and acted shows to come on TV in a long time.

S4ki

[7]Jan 17, 2009
    • level: 8
    Sorry but this show is brilliant!

Also, you want to tell us you find Damages repetitive but you don't find Xena Warrior Princess, The L Word, CSI and Desperate Housewives repetitive? Seriously now, really?

sean2evo

[8]Jan 29, 2009
    • level: 8
    Season 1 was great. Season 2 is way to slow so far.

haldrey

[9]Feb 1, 2009
    • level: 22
    Not every show can be a gold coin to please everybody but thanks heaven this one has enough followers to merit a second season and possible a third or more. Thanks for shearing but if not watching, bye bye.

azsunnygrl

[10]Feb 3, 2009
    • level: 6
    I read FX already ordered a third season. I'm not sure my brain can take it, but I'm willing to stick with it.

Placebo_obecalP

[11]Feb 19, 2009
    • level: 13
    ADD people are allowed to watch TV, even if their taste sucks.

Damages is a fantastic show, deep, well written, very strongly acted.

FCBarca

[12]Feb 25, 2009
    • level: 15

There are plenty of reasons why shows like these suffer from poor ratings or those who claim it to be 'horrible'...Short attention spans and, frankly, too intricate or complicated for many.

There's a reason why silly dumbed down shows make it far up the list of 'popular' shows and quality series like this one are probably better suited to premium channels like Showtime or HBO.

The simpl formula for successful network programming almost always involves keeping it simple, like 4th grade level...Including the Sex factor whether it's hot women or good looking guys with a either skimpy clothing or implied or explicit sexual tension...Adash of violence and boom, you've hit on all the key commodities that translates typically into successful ratings.

Shows like Damages are geared towards a niche audience, IMHO...I fear that while it's comforting to know that Fx has announced there will be a Season 3, it doesn't mean they will ultimately get to it much less finish it if ratings continue to be a problem.

If Riches died early, I suspect that Damages will too...Especially if you consider that the cost of Damages has to be much higher than that of Riches...Between being shot in NY and the high caliber/quality of actors in Damages, it doesn't bode well for longevity if they're not profitable.

I wonder if there'a any chance that the show could end up going the way of HBO or Showtime?...I hope so as it's a great series

winterbehaviour

[13]Mar 2, 2009
    • level: 22
    OP: I'm sorry but you've lost the plot. Damages is one of the best and most intelligent dramas I have seen in a long time. And it is a show you definitely have to stick with if you want to know what is going on since most of it is in flash back.

This show never fails to shock and surprise me, so many times I have to say OMG WTF because I did not see something coming.

Shows like CSI can be enjoyable but IMO are not in the same caliber as Damages. CSI is episodic and you get a quick payoff, whereas Damages is highly serialised and if you watch only a few eps and give up it's like reading only a few chapters of a book and still expecting to know what happened.

That said this show is not for everyone I think it's an intelligent show for people with discerning tastes in drama and if your favourite show is something as frivolous as Xena: Warrior Princess you are not going to like this.

Nezee74

[14]May 23, 2009
    • level: 10

I can't believe anyone that saw this show could use the word horrible to describe it. Just, wow.

FCBarca

[15]Jun 1, 2009
    • level: 15

Some have to remember that there is a sizable audience out there that wants the most simplistic of shows on TV...Simple plot with obvious storylines...The more intricate or complicated a storyline gets, the viewership and ratings begin to evaporate

Fans of Damage largely will see that there is less and less on network television that one can stomach

avi01

[16]Jul 13, 2009
    • level: 26
    Everyone has his own opinion and I can respect that but I strongly disagree. This is one of the best show one there. It requires patience maybe, it is complicated,sometimes difficult to follow...pretty much like a puzzle, a fantastic one. Nope, imo this is the exact opposite of what you said.

fireblazer666

[17]Jul 14, 2009
    • level: 2
    The plot is amazing... You need to watch each season RIGHT up until the end to really appreciate it.

Lady_Lancaster

[18]Nov 26, 2009
    • level: 41

I personally really like the show and its concept and I'm glad to see that it's continuing.

Nobody can like every show on tv because we all have our own tastes. Obviously "Damages" just isn't for you.

aaronc1987

[19]Dec 1, 2009
    • level: 9
    I find it sad that people can actually view this series as 'horrible'. Damages is one of TV's best, and the low viewership comes from people like this who prefer an episodic procedural with little-to-no depth or season continuation.

For reference, take a look at Damages' awards count or its reviews. It's won Emmys for casting and acting, and has received nominations for writing, directing and best overall drama twice. So yeah, your opinion is noted...

MaxoidRodi

[20]Jan 26, 2010
    • level: 17
    breezy2281 wrote:
    i lost interest less than halfway through it but kept watching in hopes it would get better. a few eps later i was so bored i wasn't even paying attention and did all i could do to stay awake. it was repetitious and never had much that was new and it was dragged out. eventually i couldn't even finish the end of the first season because i couldn't stand it anymore.

And we're supposed to take you seriously despite of your Xena profile pic? Anyone with a little taste in TV would be instantly pulled into Damages from episode one. Your tasteless... Just tasteless...