Damages Forums

DirecTV (ended 2012)

Pretty Boring This Season...

Swinglabacase

[1]Sep 14, 2011
    • level: 7

Looks more like progressive propaganda than legal drama.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

blackmage8472

[2]Sep 14, 2011
    • level: 15

[QUOTE="Swinglabacase"]

Looks more like progressive propaganda than legal drama.

[/ QUOTE]

Since when has the show been a legal drama? Really. It's always been a show about power with a backdrop of the legal system. The show is about Ellen and Patty, they could be doing the same story on Wall Street with a few tweaks...

Progressive propaganda? You're kidding right? The show is doing what it always has been doing, Patty sets her eyes on a bully and does everything to take them down. The fact that this season is about her and Ellen going to war against private military isn't propaganda. It's what the show has always done, Patty fighting a bully with power.

Widget_

[3]Sep 14, 2011
    • level: 4

really good season actually. John Goodman is so amazing.

I am glad while there were obviously budget cuts, at least the writing did not suffer.

(that much, the show is a little weaker than it was in season 1 and 2 but still good old Damages)

AJMeredith

[4]Sep 15, 2011
    • level: 48
    I also have thought its been a really good series.

Strong cast as ever creating what we have expected from this show!

blackmage8472

[6]Sep 15, 2011

I was mostly disappointed by this season, there were parts that just seemed to drag on. But I really liked the finale. Can't wait for next season, finally we're going to get a Patty v. Ellen showdown.

kosmos100

[7]Sep 16, 2011
    • level: 12
    It was a good season, the last 2 epsodes were fantastic, but they need to make the case more interesting, this highstar case was boring and Ellen crying all the time for her beloved Chris got old too soon.

Jemadari

[8]Sep 16, 2011
    • level: 12

blackmage8472 wrote:

I was mostly disappointed by this season, there were parts that just seemed to drag on. But I really liked the finale. Can't wait for next season, finally we're going to get a Patty v. Ellen showdown.

This right here

haldrey

[9]Sep 20, 2011
    • level: 22
    Looks like I watched a complete different show, the one I watched was fantastic like always and with a strong cast. I hope they make the next season a bit longer.

angeland8

[10]Sep 25, 2011
    • level: 10
    It was no season 1, that's for sure.
    But is was much better than season 3. And Ellen has become even more annoying. She is a spoilt child! In the end of the last episode, when she was walking from Patty - her walk, face, gestures... Really an angry child. Uh, can't stand her.

BraviaBastard

[11]Nov 16, 2011

This was the best season so far.

No1Slayerette

[12]May 21, 2012
    • level: 9

I'd have to go back and watch the first two season to really compare, but I loved the fourth season. I didn't much like the Tobin's, and season one and two are sort of a blur to me, as in, the overall arc of the main cases seemed very famailiar, where as season four's case was something completely different.

Axmann8

[13]Jul 24, 2012
    • level: 1
    It's unfortunate you feel that way. Keep in mind Ellen ends up falling in love with Chris (a soldier), and the show does a good job of exposing Erickson as definitely NOT a Christian.

Shreela

[14]Aug 2, 2012
    • level: 8
    Everyone has different tastes in shows, so some might disagree, but I loved the first two seasons, and thought the 3rd season was so so. I didn't care much for s4, and now am considering quitting watching mid-season 5. I hardly ever quit a show that I've watched for more than one season, but IMO, Damages has gone from excellent to cheesy in the last 3 years.

No1Slayerette

[15]Aug 8, 2012

Really? I'm still loving it, I think it's the best show on TV at the moment. The only problems I have with this season so far is the Parson family drama, McClaren's pretentious character, and the fact that there's not nearly enough Patty and Ellen interaction.

Tigereyes2601

[16]Sep 18, 2012
    • level: 1

blackmage8472 wrote:

What next season? I thought there were only supposed to be 5 seasons. Did I miss an announcement or something? It would be cool if there was another season though...

No1Slayerette

[17]Oct 1, 2012

The quote you smapled was posted a while back and is referring to the fifth and final season before it aired, the show has finished for good, unfortunately. What did everyone think of the finale?

FCBarca

[18]Oct 9, 2012
    Terrific ending to a great series. Story was a bit cliché this season as was last season, while nothing tops the first 2, for me

The series was probably intended to be a vehicle for Close to lead but the relationship between her & Byrne was ultimately what drove the series. Superlative performances for those two actors.

Glenn Close, such a great actor

No1Slayerette

[19]Oct 10, 2012

FCBarca wrote:
    Terrific ending to a great series. Story was a bit cliché this season as was last season, while nothing tops the first 2, for me The series was probably intended to be a vehicle for Close to lead but the relationship between her & Byrne was ultimately what drove the series. Superlative performances for those two actors. Glenn Close, such a great actor

I'm glad you enjoyed it, for me though, I found it fairly disappointing. The head to head showdown between Patty and Ellen was rather anti-climactic. Not only did the McClaren case go absolutely nowhere because of Rutger's disappearance, but I can't believe Patty just accepted it and didn't try to go after Ellen. And while Michael's death was shocking, again, with him out of the picture and IT meant that Ellen and Patty didn't go head to head in court for the child custody case. So frustrating! And Ellen fainting was such a cop-out, really bad form on the writers part to purposefully mislead viewers. I understand that this can often be a good thing, to subvert audience expectations and surprise them with something they didn't think would happen, but having her faint because she was overworked and pregnant was a very disappointing conclusion to the use of the flash forwards within the series. Not to mention Ellen giving up law, getting the man of her dreams and having a daughter. So clichéd!

That all being said, I loved the show. I really liked Season 4, I haven't seen the first couple of seasons in a while, but they all sort of blend together in my mind in terms of over-arching cases, so I liked that Season 4's (and I guess 5's as well) was a little different. I can see how you would think the relationship between Close & Byrne was ultimately what drove the series, but in my opinion, while Bryne was good, she was no match for Close.She always stole the show. She is a superb actor and I hope she is recognised as the Emmy's for her performance next year (although I doubt she will because she'll no doubt be about against Claire Danes for Homeland again.)