TV.com generally doesn't cover Dancing With the Stars for many reasons, the biggest of which is that it's Dancing With the Stars. But this, my friends, is worth 10,000 posts. 

It took new DWTS contestant Billy Dee Williams all of zero episodes to milk his fame as Star Wars' Lando Calrissian on the reality show, which kicked off Season 18 last night, and ABC, as the child of new Star Wars franchise-owner Disney, was more than happy to oblige. I've posted the video below, but I must warn all you Star Wars devotees out there that it might be painful to watch. 

So many things to point out here:

• Was R2D2 forced to do that against his will?
  • Would Darth Vader approve of Stormtroopers doing the Cha Cha Cha?
  • The Cantina Song was obvious, but no Imperial March?
  • Why were Stormtroopers dancing with Lando? Is Lando in cahoots with the Empire again?
  • Was that CP30 in a Billy Dee Williams skinsuit, or are Billy Dee's knees that stiff?
  • Why didn't Jar-Jar Binks come out and do the Worm?
  • Ewoks? EWOKS? Can someone who is fluent in Ewokinese check that translation? How did Tom Bergeron know what the Ewoks were saying?
  • Did this routine become this generation's Star Wars Christmas Special?
  • Is Emma Slater Billy Dee's dance partner or caregiver?

This is simultaneously the best thing ever and the final lump of dirt on my childhood's coffin. I'm not at all mad at Billy Dee Williams, either, because this is exactly the type of thing that Billy Dee should do. But as for those of you who were skeptical when George Lucas handed over the Star Wars franchise to the Mouse House, ummm, I guess you were right. 

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 5/24/2016

Season 22 : Episode 11

41 Comments
Comments (41)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Wow...that was really...something. not sure what, but it was something...
Flag
What has been seen cannot be unseen. :)

Flag
I facepalm. not for Billy Dee...I can't fault him for wanting an easy paycheck. I facepalm Disney for pimping him out like that & milking it to the point of overkill
Flag
Should've seen it coming. It is Disney after all
Flag
... Im going to be nauseous for days.
Flag
Well, I expected nothing less from Mr. LaShade aka The Cobra of Exposè. The only thing that was missing was the two crime solving strippers Autumn & Crystal to show up and start twerking all over his junk. But that wouldn't have been very Disney-like. Le sigh.

Flag
Who is this "CP30" mentioned in the article?

Flag
Now we know what the people of Alderaan were crying out in terror of.
Flag
I guess it's what I'd expect for a man of his age.
Flag
Hey now, Lucas wasn't exactly "protecting" the legacy that was Star Wars very well in the first place. While I maybe wish he sold the rights to a different company than Disney, it was a move he probably should have made a while ago...like before the prequels were made and LucasArts Entertainment was closed down..
Flag
After The Phantom Menace, any damage done to the Star Wars franchise pretty much falls under the category of "beating a dead tauntaun."
Flag
It's something simultaneous, I agree. What it is that I'm feeling watching this clip, I can't say. Srsly I can't.
Flag
Please keep Harrison Ford away from DWTS,I really don't need to see him dance with a Wookie on the show.Billy,Billy,Billy Dee,love you man,but the force was not with you!
Who are they gonna have next season on DWTS.....Gil Gerald from Buck Rogers and Dirk Benedict from Battlestar Galactica???This sci-fi madness on DWTS must stop!!!
Flag
Nah, if Harrison Ford was on the show he'd be dancing with a fedora and a bull whip. Which would probably be just as bad.
Flag
Would it he that bad to cover DWTS?
Flag
Next week, he's going to reenact the Colt 45 commercials from the 80's.
Flag
There's already enough giant dancing cans on the show, thanks anyway.
Flag
Perhaps they needed Chewbacca to translate the Ewoks...but he's probably busy doing work for upcoming Disney Star Wars works...
Flag
The man is 77, not mad at him for trying to get a smidgen of his glory back. As long as Mr. Williams was having a great time....Star War's reputation will stay intact. So, I'm going with Best Thing Ever!!!
Flag
Disney: Combining its new Star Wars franchise with its lifelike animatronics for the upcoming Cloud City ride.
Flag
Staff
Bryan Cranston to be updated, more sinister Lobot.
Flag
Sadly, John Hollis no longer with us. :(
Flag
Ouch, my soul.
Flag
The Disney, that is.
Flag
All I could focus on was how horribly slow Billy Dee's dancing was. Should he even be on this show if he's that out of shape/old/disabled? Scary stuff guys...
Flag
Staff
Not uncommon for the show to do this at all, especially with being out of shape or their age ("disabled" is another issue as Amy Purdy is on this season and she's tied for third right now). Williams likely won't make it past week 2 or 3, and it's not uncommon for the show to put in some celebs to be sacrificial lambs for the first few weeks of competition. Helps the middling dancers get better/stretches out the show.
Flag
Also, should the show be putting some people's health at risk for the sake of having 'sacrificial lambs'?
Flag
Staff
He's also the one who agreed to do it, another aspect to keep in mind. He can drop out as well. I think someone has at one point due to injury. *shrug*
Flag
Just to clarify I meant 'disabled' in the sense that he clearly cannot physically do it...
Flag
And with that, the Star Wars Holiday Special is reborn.
Flag

To be serious though that was awesome! On the contrary as a Star Wars fan that was incredible. The remix of classic Star Wars music was great and I loved how creative the whole thing was. Nowhere near as bad as the Christmas Special lol.
Flag
Nothing could be as bad as the Holiday Special...which may mean Disney looks to put it out on DVD some day with "critics" posting in advance how wrong viewers/fans are about the spectacle it was...
Flag
Staff
So much painful corporate exploitation.
Flag
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Flag
Follow this Show
Members