Dancing With the Stars Forums

Monday 8:00 PM on ABCIn Season

DWTS Season 16, Week 4

ktfahel

[1]Apr 10, 2013
    • level: 16

Week 4:

The theme was "The Best Year of Your Life", always a favorite of mine. Not one for negativity, I love hearing about happy memories, and this week had a lot of 'em. Each dancer also had a 15-second solo.

Zendaya Coleman went with 2009, which was the year she was discovered by Disney. She danced a Samba to Beyonce's "Love On Top" (she had also gone to a Beyonce concert in '09, which cemented her passion for performance). I really hate to use an overused cliche, but she really does dance far beyond her years. Her confidence and talent were unbelievable, but she also has a nice self-depreciating sense of humor ("I'm 16; I'd like to think that I have some really good years coming!")

Andy Dick chose 2012, and danced a Viennese Waltz dedicated to his daughter. I don't get the connection.

D.L. Hughley didn't choose a particular year, as much as a time in his life; his pre-teens, when life was simpler and more free for him. He danced a Foxtrot ("Because nothing says 'Compton' like the Foxtrot," he said), but his solo cracked me up! He went right up to the judges' table and moved his hips to contradict what they said last week, then he had a special message for Len! Histerical! Oh, that all said, there was a glimmer of technique...a definite improvement.

Jacoby Jones chose 2012, the year his son was born. His son was in the audience, held by Jacoby's mom (whom I am really beginning to love). Jacoby danced a Foxtrot, and his solo was basically a dance of love and joy for his little boy. It was fun, cheeky, and wonderful, as was the whole dance.

Sean Lowe chose this year, the year he "met" his fiancee via "The Bachelor". He danced a Viennese Waltz dedicated to her. He continues to be the same: he has a definite rudimentary grasp of the technique, and still has that "golly-gosh" vibe, but absolutely no musicality, or heart. He seems like a counting robot.

Victor Ortiz took two steps back from his giant leap forward last week. When I heard that he had the Paso Doble this week, I thought it was perfect for him. He chose the year he won his Championship Title, in a bout that everyone - including him - thought he lost before he even began. Anyway, while he did some spectacular moves, a lot of the finesse he developed last week was not there...it was all ATTACK!

Kellie Pickler chose the year she got married, and danced to "Say I Do". The song was written by her husband, Kyle Jacobs, for their wedding and, as an added bonus, was performed by him on the show. Her Rumba was positively gorgeous and romantic, but unfortunately, Derek Hough put in some of his traditional "staccato" moves, which aren't quite Rumba-esque, and the judges touched upon that.

Ingo Rademacher also dedicated his Viennese Waltz to the year he married his wife. He is improving week by week. His dance was also very smooth and romantic; you could feel the love. His solo seemed like he was searching, reaching for something unattainable, only to be found once Kym joined him.

Aly Raisman chose 2012 and her Olympic victories, and all of the work it took to get there. She danced a Contemporary piece was really allowed her to open up; it wasn't so much about the steps (which were near perfect), but about the emotion, which she put on display admirably. Although I get the point, I was a little disappointed that Mark finally caved and let the solo be all about gymnastics, but this IS Contemporary, so pretty much anything goes. It did her no harm, and actually put her at the top of the leader board.

Lisa Vanderpump missed a few rehearsals due to the flu (am I the only one who thought that her passing out was just a touch over the top? I've had the flu, worked through it, and never swooned), but I really couldn't tell. Her Cha-cha-cha - dedicated to the year her daughter got married and their bond - was like every other dance she did, and her solo wasn't much more than her standing there shaking her booty, dancing kind of like the way I danced when I was 8.

The Results show was pretty good. The musical guests were Brad Paisley, and Andrea Bocelli with Jennifer Lopez. While I initially thought that the latter was an odd pairing, it was actually pretty durned good! The Macy's Star was a lovely 17-year-old girl who, while legally blind, is an accomplished dancer, who danced a lovely routine with her "hero", Derek Hough. There was also an incredibly lame segment concerning "Bruno's joke writers". Sad.

The eliminations were done a little differently. One by one, couples were called "safe" throughout the episode until only the bottom three were called: Andy Dick, Lisa Vanderpump, and Victor Ortiz. Andy was called safe. The one eliminated this week is...Lisa Vanderpump!

Zendaya Coleman - Disney Star ("Shake It Up!")
    Andy Dick - Comedian
    Dorothy Hamill - US Olympic Gold Medal Figure Skater (1)
    D.L. Hughley - Actor/Comedian/Writer
    Jacoby Jones - Football player/Super Bowl Champion (Baltimore Ravens)
    Wynonna Judd - Country Singer (2)
    Sean Lowe - Bachelor
    Victor Ortiz - Champion Boxer
    Kellie Pickler - Country Singer
    Ingo Rademacher - Soap Star ("General Hospital")
    Aly Raisman - US Olympic Women's Gymnastics Team Captain
    Lisa Vanderpump - "Real" Housewife (3)

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.