Dancing With the Stars Forums

Monday 8:00 PM on ABCBetween Seasons

DWTS Season 16, Week 8

ktfahel

[1]May 8, 2013
    • level: 16

Week 8:

This week the contestants had two dances to do: first, a ballroom dance that they haven't done yet, then a Trio Dance, where they are joined by either a Troupe member or an already eliminated pro. I, for one, love the Trio Challenge: it gives a fresh look to certain dances and really makes the stars either shine or obviously highlight their lowlights.

Zendaya Coleman opened the show with a bright and breezy Foxtrot. She seemed both older and younger, innocent and mature, simultaneously. She was technically spot-on, but also seemed very comfortable. It was lovely.

She and Val were joined by Gleb Savchenko for a white-hot Salsa. All three of them moved so fast, with near-perfect synchronization, that I couldn't tell if there were any mistakes or not (during the Results show Zendaya confessed to a flub or two). Apparently the judges agreed with me, as she received the first Perfect 30 of the season.

Jacoby Jones impressed with a flowing Viennese Waltz. It was fairly amazing that, tall as he is (and short as Karina is), he kept a near-perfect frame and excellent posture. I was pleased and impressed...until he felt the need to rip his shirt open. Seriously? Was that really necessary?

He and Karina were joined by Cheryl Burke for the Paso Doble which, while powerful and strong, was a little annoying. Yeah, yeah...he jumped over BOTH of them. *yawn* We know...we know...

Sean Lowe took a huge step back with his clumsy, clunky Tango. What musicality he managed to gain last week was entirely lost this week. At least he kept his shirt on.

He, Peta and Sharna Burgess used a Magician schtick for their Jazz. As I mentioned earlier, the two pros really shined, but it showed how lackluster Sean really was. I have to admit that the way the dance ended made for a gorgeous picture.

Kellie Pickler's two dances were actually "Part 1" and "Part 2", style-wise. Her first dance was an absolutely gorgeous Viennese Waltz that showed style, technique and emotion. It ended with her bowing down before a mirror...

...which is where her Paso Doble, with Derek and Tristan MacManus, picked back up. Whereas her Waltz was angelic, her Paso was Demonic. Hard, fast, strong and powerful, it was mezmerizing. Unfortunately, this is where the controversy came in. While Carrie Ann and Bruno praised the dance and gave her 10s, Len put on his Grumpy-Pants, started shouting at Derek, SWORE at Bruno, and gave Kellie a 7.

(Side note: I know that Derek can be very controversial in his choreography. Last season the judges nailed him for breaking the rules with Shawn Johnson, and it was deserved. However, I really don't feel that Len was correct. While I am no professional dancer, is the stupid cape REALLY that important to the dance?)

Ingo Rademacher danced a light-hearted Foxtrot that Carrie Ann said resembled Gene Kelly and Bruno said resembled a cross between Fred Astaire and Fred Flinstone. I, for one, thought he did a lovely job, and showed a lot of heart.

He, Kym and Lindsay Arnold definitely brought the fun in their Jive. While his "kicks'n'flicks" weren't all they should be, the rest of the dance was fast and energetic...and funny!

Aly Raisman was her Salsa times 3 with her moody, intense Argentine Tango. The lifts were amazing; the landings, not so much. However, she definitely had the character and the technique down. Wonderful job.

She, Mark and Henry Byalikov danced a Fosse-esque Jive to close the show. Once again, she played the character perfectly, never losing it, and matched her pros step-for-step. Oh, and Jacoby, Henry can jump over people, too!

The Results show was OK, but not nearly as much fun as last week's. The musical guests were Jason Derulo, then later, Emeli Sand?: neither of whom I have ever heard, and neither with whom I was much impressed. The best segments were the Macy's Stars of Dance, which was Derek Hough and Jaimie Goodwin dancing in a revolving room (COMPLETELY mind-blowing); and "the Adventures of Peanut Rademacher", with the camera crews following Ingo's young son, who is a pip.

This week's Bottom Three was even more of a shock than last week: Kellie Pickler, Jacoby Jones, and Sean Lowe. The actual elimination was less of a shock. The one eliminated this week is...Sean Lowe!

Zendaya Coleman - Disney Star ("Shake It Up!")
    Andy Dick - Comedian (6)
    Dorothy Hamill - US Olympic Gold Medal Figure Skater (1)
    D.L. Hughley - Actor/Comedian/Writer (4)
    Jacoby Jones - Football player/Super Bowl Champion (Baltimore Ravens)
    Wynonna Judd - Country Singer (2)
    Sean Lowe - Bachelor (7)
    Victor Ortiz - Champion Boxer (5)
    Kellie Pickler - Country Singer
    Ingo Rademacher - Soap Star ("General Hospital")
    Aly Raisman - US Olympic Women's Gymnastics Team Captain
    Lisa Vanderpump - "Real" Housewife (3)

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.