Dancing With the Stars Forums

Monday 8:00 PM on ABCBetween Seasons

Episode Discussion for Week 2 on 10/01 and 10/02/2012.

ktfahel

[1]Oct 3, 2012
    • level: 16

Week Two:

This week everyone danced either the Quickstep or the Jive; needless to say, it made for a very fast-paced show!

Kirstie Alley danced the Jive. One of the stand-out things about her dance was, it was one of the very, very few times she actually let someone do something with her hair: she wore a black bob wig! That said, while her technique was wonderful, you could definitely tell that her stamina wasn't. She minced a few steps and she missed a few...but her showmanship was spot-on and, as I said, her technique was excellent.

Sabrina Bryan was definitely redeemed. Her Quickstep reminded people why her early send-off was a mistake. She reigned in her enthusiasm and moved like a controlled tornado. She got the highest score of the night - and the first 9 - and it was well deserved.

Helio Castroneves had incredible flicks'n'kicks in his Jive, and his smile never stopped. Even his arms had some incredible flicks! He wore his pink suit with pride; I'm guessing that it's his daughter's favorite color (not that this was the reason for wearing it). He is so much fun to watch.

Joey Fatone channelled Charlie Chaplin's Little Tramp in his Quickstep. He is a born entertainer and was a lot of fun to watch, even if his technique was a tad lacking. He did a leap at the end that was not to be believed, coming up with a "The End" sign in old-fashioned movie lettering. Definitely cute.

Shawn Johnson was unstoppable in her Jive. Tom Bergeron made a comment after the dance: Shawn, not breathing hard; Derek, almost dead! I'll admit that, in her previous season, a lot of her dancing looked a little more like gymnastics; this time, even with a cartwheel, it looked more like dancing.

Drew Lachey loosened up a little in his Jive, but it was his opening move that was jaw-dropping: he lifted himself up onto a stopsign, held himself out horizontal, then pulled himself so that his feet were at an angle above his head! Yeah, his dancing was good, too.

Gilles Marini danced a gorgeous and unbelievable Jive, even with a torn adductor. He dedicated the dance - done to Queen's "Don't Stop Me Now" - to his father, as Monday was the 17th anniversary of his death and the song held significance for them. He even did a bit of his dance solo!

Kelly Monaco was "pretty in pink" in her quickstep, and didn't miss a step. She was graceful and had wonderful musicality (although, to be honest, the song - "Who Says" by Selena Gomez & the Scene - practically told the dancers how to move).

Apolo Ohno loosened up with his Quickstep, a definite improvement over last week. I feel he needs to play to the audience just a little more, tho.

Bristol Palin took a giant step backwards with her Quickstep. Mark Ballas did her a great injustice by not really putting any traditional Quickstep moves in her dance, making it more of a two-step (to "Redneck Woman" by Gretchen Wilson). Her attitude changed from last week as well. While I've been supportive of her all along, I really thought that this was going to be her last week.

Melissa Rycroft opened the show and set a high bar with her Jive. She, like Sabrina, was kind of dancing for redemption, as she didn't get to actually perform her Jive her previous season due to a serious injury (she ended up judged on rehearsal footage). She made up for it this time around, had a lot of fun and kept it smooth.

Emmitt Smith let ego and attitude get the better of him, and slacked a little in his Quickstep. It was a bit of a disappointment. He also snickered during the rehearsal footage, saying that he wasn't worried about "an actor, an Indy driver, and a speed skater". Carrie Ann told him that "that Indy driver and speed skater did just a bit better than you."

The Results show started after a special, which showed the defining dances of all of the all-stars. While it was fun to watch all of the old footage, the one that really got to me - and actually gave me chills - was Sabrina's Paso Doble. All I can say is "Wow!"

The musical guests for the Results show were Cher Lloyd (Who?) who was, IMO, terrible, and Katherine Jenkins singing with Placido Domingo, who were wonderful.

The three tagged "in jeopardy" was a bit of a shock: Joey, Helio and Kelly! the second All-Star sent home was...Joey Fatone!

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.