Dancing With the Stars Forums

Monday 8:00 PM on ABCIn Season

It would be nice if the judges would learn what Lindy Hop is

cherold01

[1]Nov 21, 2012
    • level: 14

I just have to complain about this, because it's really bugging me. When Val and Kelly did Flamenco, the judges got down on them because they said it wasn't really a Flamenco. But this was right after Emmett and Cheryl did a Lindy Hop that didn't have a single thing in it I recognized as Lindy Hop. They were instead doing what Lindy Hoppers call "The Swing," which refers to any dance number by people who clearly have no idea what Lindy Hop is.

It would be one thing if the judges just gave a pass to everyone for everything, but they don't. Len complained bitterly about Shaun and Derek's tribal Samba and gave them a low score because it wasn't a true Samba. But even though he said he would have liked to see more Lindy in the Cheryl/Emmett number (I would have liked to see *any* Lindy in it), he gave them a higher score, even though the Shaun/Derek number was a much better number.

I feel that the judges know less about Lindy than any single other dance ever done on DWTS. I wish they would watch a few good Lindy numbers and at least develop some vague idea of what the dance looks like before they judge it again. But I'm sure they won't. Lindy gets no respect in the ballroom dance world where they're from.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

ocean58

[2]Nov 24, 2012
    • level: 53

I can agree with that only with reservations. The Lindy Hop was an official dance in season 8 of DWTS. In week 4 of season 8 Melissa & Tony as well as Shawn & Mark danced it. In week 8 it was Gilles & Cheryl's turn. So the judges know for sure, what Lindy Hop is, but sometimes their judgement can be subjective.

cherold01

[3]Dec 11, 2012
    • level: 14
    Yes, DWTS has had "Lindy Hop" dances, but not by anyone who really knows Lindy Hop. As far as I know, the only professional on the show who really knows the dance is Lacy. As I recall, the Lindy Hop never looked very authentic in any season. It is ballroom dancers quickly learning the basics of the dance and teaching it to celebrities who don't know it and then being judged on their performance by ballroom judges, so the standards are consistently lower for Lindy than for a ballroom dance (although of course the standards are pretty low in general). That said, I think the judges probably know in general what Lindy Hop should look like, but only in the way I know what a Waltz should look like. I can overall recognize a good waltz, but when the judges talk about little details, they are not things I would ever notice. The judges don't have the knowledge to gauge the quality of a Lindy Hop on much of anything beyond whether they're dancing athletically and have a pulse. More importantly, I don't think they respect the dance and thus don't really care if it's not authentic. I'm sure they all prefer Jive, which Lindy Hoppers tend to have a very low opinion of. And that's fine, we like what we like, but if you're going to judge something, know something about it first.