Daniel Boone

NBC (ended 1970)

mrdivot

Daniel Boone Fan Reviews (4)

7.7
  • Veronica Cartwright Appearing at Maryland's Mid-Atlantic Nostlagia Convention

Veronica Cartwright played Jemina Boone on the Daniel Boone tv series, and she's scheduled to appear Sept. 18-20 at the Mid-Atlantic Nostalgia Convention, at the Hunt Valley Whindham Hotel, Hunt Valley, Md.. Screenings of Daniel Boone episodes are on the agenda. Check it out.
  • This show captured the imagination of so many children of my generation that the images and ideas still affect us so many years later.

This was one of my very favorite shows when I was a child. The show first aired when I was eight years old. A good friend of mine and I watched it every time it was on, and then we would create our own stories and "pretend" to be the main characters. This show capture my imagination like few other shows have. The values presented became a part of my life, honesty, integrity, being unbiased and to not judge others by what they look like but their actions. Fess Parker was excellent in the role of Daniel Boone. Strong, handsome, with a quick wit and wonderful sense of humor, he brought the character to life for me. Albert Salmi, though only on the show for the first season, brought a taste of the old-time frontier man to the screen with his excellent portrayal of Yadkin. Dal McKennon as Cincinnatus was wonderful as the cantankerous shop keeper who made sure supplies were available along with candy for the kids and bits of ribbons and other fripparies for the ladies. I can't say enough about the wonderful performances of Patricia Blair as Rebecca Boone. She was perfect for the wife of Daniel Boone, a fiesty, red-haired Irish girl, who could shoot a rifle when needed, or doctor wounds, or keep a rambunctious boy out of too much trouble. Speaking of that rambunctious boy, Darby Hinton as Israel Boone was perfectly cast. Innocent looking, until you saw the gleam in his blue eyes, he was a delightfully mischievous little boy trying to grow up to be just like his larger than life father. Finally, my favorite character in the show - Ed Ames as Mingo, the half-Cherokee, half-British friend of Daniel Boone. A complex character, Mingo dresses and lives as his mother's people do, but when speaking English he does so with the cultured tones that show his Oxford Education. What motivates a person like this? What led him to abandon "Civilized Society" to follow the ways of his mother's "Primitive Savage Ancestors"? These characters, plus the others in the series, presented their world as a rich and vibrant tapestry of Colonial America. Granted, the show played fast and loose with real History at times (most of the time), but this show helped awaken in me, at least, a passion for history that is with me to this day. What more can you ask of a television show?
  • This was a classic TV Frontier/Western series.

Daniel Boone was better shows on to ever be on television period. The writing was so good that it still holds up to today's standards. The regular cast was outstanding. The guest starts were absolutely fantastic. In this time period of television many famous actors would make appearances on great television shows such as this. Then there were the up and coming actors that would go on to become huge stars and used this as a springboard of sorts. All in all a great show that can still be watched today without missing a beat. If you have never seen it, watch it if you get a chance.
  • Daniel Boone was a man.....

Funny how this series doesn't seem to remembered much by TV critics today. They remember Fess Parker's Davy Crockett Disney series of the 1950's but his series about the other great frontier hero, Daniel Boone, which ran on NBC from 1964-70 appears to be all but forgotten. It's a pity. Daniel Boone was quality television. You name it and Daniel Boone had it: action, adventure, pathos, drama, and comedy. It also was not afraid to take on controversial topics such as bigotry and prejudice which many shows of that era with contemporary settings were reluctant to handle.

Fess Parker remains the archetypical TV frontier hero and he played his role of Daniel Boone to the hilt. Ed Ames lent fine support as an Oxford educated half-breed Cherokee Indian named Mingo who became Daniel's friend and confidante. Patricia Blair played Daniel's stalwart (and beautiful) wife Rebecca and Albert Salmi, Jimmy Dean, Rosie Grier, Don Pedro Colley, and Robert Logan played other sidekicks of Daniel during the course of the series' run. I'd be remiss if I din't mention Darby Hinton who played Israel Boone, Daniel's son. Hinton, though mostly forgotten today, was one of the best child actors of that period. Unfortunatley for Hinton, he didn't have much of a career once he grew older unlike a few of his contemporaries such as Ron Howard and Kurt Russell.

I don't know why Daniel Boone has been largely forgotten. I haven't seen it in reruns for years although it used to run all the time in the immediate years after its cancellation. Maybe station execs in larger markets see it as a rural show and would rather load their local viewers down with the likes of Seinfeld, Friends, Roseanne, and the Simpsons. I think it ran on TV Land for a short period of time but I never got the chance to watch it on that network. Anyway, check Daniel Boone out if it ever comes back. It was a first class show.