Danny Phantom

Fright Night

Aired Friday 12:00 AM Oct 29, 2004 on Nickelodeon

• "I don't know what's scarier. The underwear, or the fact he carries them around in his coat!"

Fright Night is the first holiday special of Danny Phantom and sure is an entertaining one. The whole episode is hilarious, either because of Danny's parents, Dash, Tucker or some dark humor with Mr. Lancer. The villain Fright Knight looks really badass and the horse looks awesome. We're presented to great action and soundtrack.

Overall Fright Night is hell of a Halloween special. It might not be the most spectacular Danny Phantom episode but it delivers the entertainment in the spirit of the holiday.
  • I didn't care for this

It started off with much promise but quickly went downhill and got to be nasty at the end. I felt it could've been better. The cramming of a scary room contest and other stuff really compromised the whole plot and other activities really wasted time and humor. I will admit that the Fright Knight and his steed were very menacing. I have yet to watch this episode again and do not plan to for a long while. Even the Fright Knight and his Nightmare steed deserved a better introductory episode than this one. Heck I think they were worthy of more episodes but are mainly stuck with this one. This episode is at best flat and bland not to mention got just plan gross at the end. To me this is the second worst Danny Phantom episode after Splitting Images.
  • Danny takes the sword of the Fright Knight to improve his haunted house room on Halloween.

After both Danny and Dash are assigned by Lancer to make a haunted house room for Halloween, they make a little side bet. Danny looks up the Fright Night, the spirit of Halloween, and tries to fuse it into his room. When he sees that Dash’s room is going to stomp his, he desperately journeys into the Ghost Zone to steal the sword of the Fright Knight, the Soul Shredder, in order to improve his room. But this awakens the Fright Knight himself, who flies back into the real world to get his sword back.

I didn’t think of this episode as very good, but this was actually a while after I had first seen it. After seeing it again this previous Halloween, I’ve realized this episode, while not the best, was still pretty good.

The opening was somewhat interesting. I didn’t think a minor ghost like that eel would give Danny that much trouble. But its ability to easily absorb Danny’s ray and send another one back at him was troublesome for Danny. But it’s totally irrelevant to the actual episode. I did like the scene where Lancer actually gave Danny a chance to avoid detention, even though I didn’t like his quote about pretending to be fair that much. Oh, and the side bet with eating Dash’s underwear…gross. Like Tucker said, the underwear and the fact that Dash carries it around in his coat, they were both rather crazy.

Danny wasn’t as bad as I first really thought him to be here. The fact that he went to steal the Soul Shredder was somewhat understandable, since he would have to eat the disgusting underwear otherwise. But when the ecto-storm was causing chaos and danger everywhere and Danny refused to take the sword back until Lancer declared him the winner, that was a little too Timmy-ish. And when he said, “Yes!” in response to Lancer being sent to his worst fear…oh, boy. But he really did learn how important it is not to be hasty or reckless. Also, his pathetic attempts to try and make his room scary were funny. But not putting a pumpkin in the room when it’s Halloween? Oy.

Sam was portrayed very well in this episode. It’s always a good thing to see friends who usually don’t play a very major role in fights come out and help, and that’s what Sam did here. She was quick on her feet in finding a way to defeat the Fright Knight, and she also seemed to think Danny wasn’t very smart in taking the sword, and that was IC. Also, I really liked her encouragement of, “Come on, Danny. You can do it!” I thought it was very nice.

There was also a good amount of D/S in this episode. You had to think that their experience with Ember in FtF is still fresh in their minds. While in TotY, it was nice to see the writers move on to something else, they obviously don’t want it to go completely back to normal, but at least keep parts of it there. Danny’s protecting of Sam when the Fright Knight was about to slice her, holding her down when she was about to be sucked into the Ghost Zone, and of course, the hug at the end were all very sweet.

Tucker had minimal involvement in FN. I can understand his wanting to go trick-or-treating, since he’s pretty much the least mature out of the trio, and also since there are kids at my high school who still go trick-or-treating. His “costume” was lame, but very Tucker. And his scene where he thought Danny was the Fright Knight wasn’t very good. Sure, he’s unreliable, but he can’t recognize what isn’t his best friend?

As for the Fright Knight himself, he was quite the evil guy. He was able to open the Fenton Portal from the inside! He was somewhat dramatic, but there was still the very sinister look at him. He also looked like an extremely tough adversary for Danny, and his Soul Shredder is a very tough weapon. The dimensions where Lancer and Tucker were transported to were very funny, and it matched their personalities.

The action scenes, while not the best and quite choppy, still had plenty of energy and a sense of real threat behind them. The scenes in the Ghost Zone were someone intense when Danny was in ghost mode, especially when Danny bled ectoplasm. Hey, it's not blood, so it's not that inappropriate. And Danny did some quick thinking remembering that humans can phase through everything. As for the final battle, Danny actually gets pounded a bit more than the Fright Knight does, and that’s the kind of final fight that works on DP. His remark of, “Strike six! Way to whiff, Mr. October!” was very funny. Also, the music when Danny was slamming the sword into the pumpkin was AWESOME!

The ending started very nice, but then shot downward. Danny’s fessing up to Lancer was good, but it felt a little bit rushed and somewhat unnecessary. And why did Lancer switch the honor of victor from Danny to Dash? I really didn’t like that, nor Danny getting in trouble with his parents that much, though that didn’t bother me as much as the former. And of course, when Danny still has to eat the underwear…ugh. The only ending so far that has made me grimace instead of the usual smile or chuckle.

Something else I found interesting were the references to FtF and PoL. References to episodes from the past are always interesting to see and I feel as if I can relate to whatever the reference is specifically being aimed at.

Overall, this episode was pretty good. While there were things that could have made this around a 9/10, there were other things that held it back and I give it 8/10. Not bad.
  • good halloween special

this episode was a very VERY good halloween special this episode is awsome EVERYONE should watch this episode especially people who like specials like haloween episodes and i think fans of this show should like this show this episode made me watch the series even more! i love the action of this episdoe and i like the comedy of this episodes its so funny before i saw this episode i first saw the commerical of this episode before it aired i said to myself that maby it was going to be an average episode but i was wrong this episode is good so i give this epsidoe a 9.3/10
  • I love this Halloween special!

Is it just me, or are Halloween episodes always so good? I loved everything about this episode. Danny's haunted house was absolutely adorable, and I loved the final scene where Danny grabs Sam just as shes about to fly up in teh air and he grabs the pipes under the wood. The plot was great, as well, and I loved how, once someone was struck with the sword, they were transported into the place they worst feared (Tucker's was hilarious). In the end, Danny, of course, was successful and makes everything right. This was certainly a great holiday special episode.
  • This was a very cool eppie!

Wow, this one was cool! I learned Danny is a talented artist (on top of everything else- he rocks!) The action really was exciting! Plus, the animation was amazing! And I liked the poem at the end- "To cease the fight, to end the fear, sheathe the sword in pumkin near!" And there was a D/S moment! Yay! It was a fantastic episode (again)! The last scene (where Danny sheathed the sword "in pumpkin near") was awesome! And I'm proud of Danny for being honest in the end, even though he didn't win... I'd like to see what Danny does for revenge! (But that's another story) Awesome ep!
  • When forced to create a Halloween room for detention, Danny 'borrows' the Fright Knight's sword to make his room more scary.

This episode was great! It was interesting to see the Halloween rooms Danny and Dash created. I didn't like the bet they made though. I mean, come on, eating Dash's underwear? What in the world? That was disgusting. The Fright Night was cool. I thought it was weird how he could only be defeated by having his sword stuck in a pumpkin. I especially liked the parts where, when struck with the sword, Tucker and Mr. Lancer were transported to a different dimension in which their true fears become reality. That was awesome! I wonder what Danny and Sam's fears would have been.
  • Danny borrows the sword of the Fright Knight to make his haunted house room scary.

This was such a great episode! I love how he encounters a new enemy and is able to defeat him. The Fright Knight sent chills up and down my spine and the ep was so creative! This definitely goes down on my list of faves. Need 100 words, so.............
    Danny phantom rules! danny phantom rules! danny phantom rules! danny phantom rules! danny phantom rules! danny phantom rules! danny phantom rules! danny phantom rules! danny phantom rules! danny phantom rules! danny phantom rules! danny phantom rules! danny phantom rules! danny phantom rules! danny phantom rules! danny phantom rules! danny phantom rules!
  • Halloween episode of Danny Phantom

Oh Yeah! The halloween episode of Danny Phantom rules!it`s Halloween and Dash and Danny must go a competition, who`s the better person at making a scary room! This is Danny`s specialty but in the end it didn`t turn out good!Sam gets a book about the Fright Night, the king of halloween!danny enters in the Ghost Zone and gets the Fright Night`s sword. Things was going good and their teacher, Mr. Lancer was finally getting scared! mr. Lancer said Danny won but danny admitted that he stole items from his parents but mr. Lancer didn`t care until he opened the door and saw Danny`s parents Shoot him with Green stuff and so Dash won so Danny had to eat Dash`s underwear! Anyway this episode was good!
  • Danny awakens the spirit of Halloween the Fright Knight when he takes his sword.

Danny has to beat Dash in making a scary house contest in order to try and avoid detention.Dash and Danny make a side bet that the loser has to eat Dash's underwear.Danny can't think of anything scary so Sam gets a book about the spirit of Halloween the Fright Knight.Our hero steals the designs of the Fright Knight's home for his own scary house.Upon seeing Dash's designs Danny goes into the Ghost Zone and takes the Fright Knight's sword the Soul Shredder.When he pulls the sword out of a pumpkin he awakens the Fright Knight.Fright Knight wants his sword back so he can cause terror and chaos over the world.Danny doesn't give him the sword and runs to back to Earth and escapes him.Danny uses the Soul Shredder for his haunted house,but he acidently creates a ecto plasma storm.Fright Knight finds Tucker and forces him to tell him were Danny is.Fright Knight comes and Danny has to fight him,but the knight gets his sword again and uses it to cause fear.Fright Knight slash people with the Soul Shredder it sends them into a dimension were they live out their wrost fear.Tucker and Mr.Lancer were already hit with the sword.Danny has to hold of the Fright Knight while Sam looks up a way to defeat him.Everything Danny does the Fright Knight just counters and things look bad until Sam finds the way to defeat him.Danny has to put his sword into a pumpkin and he will improsin him.Danny gets the sword back and puts it back into a pumpkin.Danny defeats the Fright Knight but loses the bet,to bad for him.

This is a Halloween special and is a great episode.The Fright Knight is probably the second strongest Danny Phantom enemy so far the strongest would be Vlad Plasmius for now.
  • I love Halloween

This is one of my top ten episodes i love the fright knight i love every part of this episode i just wish they would make another Halloween themed episode because this was awsome i'm still trying to download it on my computer god i love this episode so much.
  • Ohhh... it's halloween!

It is halloween in Amity Park. And Danny is fighting a random ghost. While fighting the ghost he goes intagable through the ciealing of Casper High changing back to Danny Fenton in the prosses. He falls into a latter spilling paint on Dash Baxter who is decorating the halls for Halloween. Danny and Dash are starting to fight when Mr. Lancer walks up. Mr. Lancer want's Danny and Dash to decorate this abondonded building for halloween so he can show Ms. Tetslaugh and it's Danny and Dash's punishment. Danny thinks he will win with the Fright Nights Sword. The fright night does not like Danny 'barrowing' his sword. So he reeks havic on Amity Park w/ an ectostorm. Danny ends up defeting the Fright Night but does not win aganst Dash. The end results in Danny eating Dash's underwear which was a side bet he made w/ Dash.
  • i only said average because this is my average grade for dp eppies! don\'t kill me!

the best part was when sam and danny hugged. if you know me at all you know thats what it is. also, i think that someone different animated this one. it looks different. like their eyes and the fact that danny\'s hair just looks longer in front. to finish the 100 words: danny and sam 4 everdanny and sam 4 everdanny and sam 4 everdanny and sam 4 everdanny and sam 4 everdanny and sam 4 everdanny and sam 4 everdanny and sam 4 everdanny and sam 4 everdanny and sam 4 everdanny and sam 4 everdanny and sam 4 everdanny and sam 4 everdanny and sam 4 everdanny and sam 4 everdanny and sam 4 everdanny and sam 4 everdanny and sam 4 everdanny and sam 4 everdanny and sam 4 everdanny and sam 4 everdanny and sam 4 everdanny and sam 4 everdanny and sam 4 everdanny and sam 4 everdanny and sam 4 everdanny and sam 4 everdanny and sam 4 everdanny and sam 4 everdanny and sam 4 everdanny and sam 4 everdanny and sam 4 everdanny and sam 4 everdanny and sam 4 everdanny and sam 4 everdanny and sam 4 everdanny and sam 4 everdanny and sam 4 everdanny and sam 4 everdanny and sam 4 ever. ok i got like 200 something words on here now. oh well.
  • It's Holloween time and Danny must oudo Dash in a Holloween contest in which one person has to do better than the other in decorating a rooom so that it looks scary. They made a bet on who would win. Danny wants a ghostly sword, but it's the Fright Knight

It was a good episode, but for a Holloween special I think it could've used a little more work. Parts of the episode were a little dull. The way the Fright Knight was introduced and talked about, he seemed like he would be a strong foe, especially for a Holloween special, but he didn't live up to it. Still, the whole Fright Knight thing was kind of exciting. He could've had a better role is all I'm saying.Who would be crazy enough to steal a ghost's sword just to beat Dash at anything? Only Danny, and it's too bad he lost. Thank God we didn't have to watch him eat the old, dirty underwear. That was pretty funny. I still liked the episode.
  • Danny, determined to defeat Dash in a Haunted House bet, heads into the Ghost Zone to steal a sword which transports anyone into a dimension where they live out their worst fear. So what happens when, along with taking the sword, Danny awakens the ancient

This episode was great. Guy Moon, once again, pulls a fabulous musical score out of his bag of tricks; and the jokes cracked in this one were just hilarious. Suspense was average, but not terrible; it was enough suspense to keep you hooked in. The animation and acting were also just fantastic. All in all, I really like this episode, but it's not one of my top five.
    Side Note: This was the first episode I ever got on tape.
  • Episode 13 - Fright Night - My review

Danny is fighting outside school with an Eel ghost, but loses when the ghost zaps him with his laser eyes, making Danny get in trouble with Dash. Mr. Lancer sees the two boys fighting and instead of punishing them, tells them to decorate an abandoned house for Halloween, since it’s a staff tradition for Halloween and its Mr. Lancer's turn this year. Danny thinks he can beat Dash at this, and they both make a bet to see who can decorate the house in the spookiest way.

Later, Danny thinks of different ways in which he can spook the house, but Tucker and Sam say his ideas are really bad. Sam shows him a book and tells him about the 'Fright Knight', the spirit of Halloween and whose sword can make someone live their worst fear. Danny gets the idea to decorate the house exactly like the Fright Knight's lair, but after he does, it looks more funny than scary. Just then, Danny's parents enter the haunted house and see Danny decorating it. They tell him to keep a look out for ghosts.

After they leave, Danny decides to check out Dash's 'Spa Of Doom' to see how well he is doing, and gets surprised when Dash actually does a good job at it. He also sees Lancer complimenting Dash on doing a fine job. Danny gets scared at the thought of losing Dash's bet, so he decides to go into the ghost zone to get the Fright Knight's sword.
    When he gets past the traps and takes the sword, the Fright Knight awakens and demands Danny give it back to him.

Danny escapes the ghost zone with the sword, not realizing that even the Fright Knight came into his world afterwards. Danny goes back into the haunted mansion and shows the sword to Sam and puts it down. The sword comes to life and starts turning inanimate objects into ghost monsters and zombies and haunting the streets. The Fright Knight tries to look for Danny, and easily finds him when he sees the sword's powers come from the mansion.

Danny knows that the sword is trouble and wants to stop it, but just then Mr. Lancer arrives to check out Danny's decoration. Danny wants to beat Dash more than the Fright Knight. Will he be able to convince Lancer into putting a better grade for him than Dash, and defeat the Fright Knight at the same time without anyone, especially Mr. Lancer finding out?

This was one of the best Halloween episodes that I saw on Nickelodeon during Halloween. It had excitement (Danny getting into the Fright Knight's lair), adventure (Danny trying to fight the Fright Knight) and funny moments (Tucker and Lancer living their worst fear). This was also the first full episode I saw of Danny Phantom, which made me hooked to this show!

Be sure to watch this episode even if it is not Halloween.
  • Finally, I got to see this episode.

Fright Knight was the only episode of Danny Phantom (besides the unaired ones) that I never got to see and finally have. This was a great Halloween episode, the Fright Knight is one of my favorite villans, the humor was great gross at times but great, though in my opinion Dash\\\'s room was lame. Danny finally learning his lession that cheaters never prosper was a good antic, it just shows how human is, and the Danny/Sam hug at the end was sweet. A great episode that was worth waiting for.
  • A Halloween episode of Danny Phantom brings out the true spirit of the holiday.

This was the very last Danny Phantom that I haven't seen yet... and that' only because I didnt get into until after Halloween last year (actually, it was more like last summer where i hit my stride).
    This was the perfect kind of Halloween episode, especially with ghosts and stuff. The storyline was really good, Danny wants to beat Dash, so he steals the sword from the ghost zone.
    The Fright Knight is definitely of Danny's toughest villians, also one of my favorites. He really provides a good challenge for him.
    It stinks that Danny ends up losing the bet in the end, though, because of his parents.

The little scene with Jazz was hilarious when she finds her stuffed animal's heads missing, heh.

It couldn't have been better and its refreshing after the past few new episodes being below average.

I'd give this show a 0 if it was really bad because it's Halloween and it should be one of the better ones... because we're talking ghosts here.
  • On Halloween, Danny and Dash are caught in a competition to avoid detention - decorating Mr. Lancer's haunted house. Danny goes into The Ghost-Zone and steals the sword of the legendary Fright Knight. Unfortunately, this ressurects the knight's spirit, an

4.6
    For October, one episode would be aired out of order with "13" and "Public Enemies" because of Halloween.

On Halloween, Danny and Dash are caught in a competition to avoid detention - decorating Mr. Lancer's haunted house. Having made a bet with Dash that will add injury to insult if he loses, Danny goes into The Ghost-Zone and steals the sword of the legendary Fright Knight. Unfortunately, this ressurects the knight's spirit, and he heads to Amity Park to retrieve his sword!

"Fright Night," boasting possibly the best commercial for any DP episode yet, was well-recieved for the most part, many fans thinking it was another step back up to the level of earlier episodes.

Myself, "Fright Night" left me feeling very disappointed and could not live up to the expectations that the preview set for me.

Like "Teacher of the Year," the animation in this episode seemed to lack any energy, depth, or excitement at all. "Shades of Gray's" animation wasn't *that* dramatic, but the energy was there. The last two eps were very dull in this department, the action scenes lacking any sense of drive. The difference was that in "Teacher of the Year," the story was well-written and well-developed, and made up for the loss of energy. "Fright Night" had no such relief.

The main problem I had with this episode is that it wasn't dark enough, in story, tone, or look. The preview made it seem like the colour scheme for this episode placed a lot of emphasis on back and green. In the episode, I found everything colour-wise to be...dull. To put it perfectly blunt, it was dull. Far more fitting would have been a stark look, with heavy emphasis on black, tinted either green or blue. It worked very well in "Batman Returns," one of the darkest movies I've ever seen. This is a family/teen cartoon, and if something's too dark it isn't very entertaining; one reasons my feelings towards "Batman Returns" are so mixed. But DP has been the most mature and developed Nicktoon since it aired; "Bitter Reunions," "My Brother's Keeper," and "Fanning the Flames" especially; so a move to something a bit darker would have been very appropriate.

Danny seemed extremely OOC to me in this episode. This is the most immature, irresponsilbe, and Timmy-ish he's acted since "Splitting Images," and "What you Want" through "Teacher of the Year" seemed to show he had learned from that episode. Here, he is again acting extremely thoughtless and stupid. You may find this a bit hypocritical coming from me; after all, this is the same guy who defended the fake-out make-out in "Shades of Gray" as being logical and in-character. The difference was that I personally saw a connection to earlier and later episodes and a logical explanation. Then, when D/S was absent from "Teacher of the Year" that made sense, since the last two episodes had spent so much time developing that arc and it was time for something else. Danny and Sam were probably wary of going too fast anyway. Here, though, we suddenly went back seven episodes, ignoring all the developments and maturity that Danny had gained over the series and diving back into something far too FOP-ish and cliched. His being happy about Lancer's being in that fright dimension after "Teacher of the Year" also turned me off.

Then there was the problem of organisation and development. The story had a good premise behind it; I'll give it that. But it seemed like it was written under a tight deadline and slapped together messily. "Shades of Gray" seemed to be intentionally episodic as it had to set up several arcs to be developed later; there was no excuse for this episode to be so random and uneven. It feels like it should have been made as an hour-long special, but something caused it to be crammed into 23 minutes. And the bet with the underwear; that was gross. Besides one scene in "Bitter Reunions," this show has been free of all sick humour like that.

The fact that there was a full myth and legend to the Fright Knight seemed very interesting, but it was hardly played up at all. If more emphasis had been placed on that, if the episode had been darker - both in look and tone, if it was an hour long, and if the gross humour had been left out, this could have been a great episode. But the way it was left me very disappointed.

No episode of a show is without merit, however. I liked the connection to "Fanning the Flames" with the map of The Ghost-Zone, and I liked the rhyme for how to defeat the Fright Knight. While the rest of the animation and story seemed dull and cliched, there was one moment I really liked; Danny seeing the ghost-blood on his hands. Has Nick ever allowed blood to be on any of its cartoons before? Danny and Sam's relationship is going well. That hug at the end I thought that was a brilliant touch. Again, after "Fanning the Flames" it didn't seem possible for them to completely go back to normal, but they'd probably be wary of going too fast. The way they were here was great. Lancer was also good and seeing more of him with Danny and Sam was nice. Something about those three characters being together really strikes me as interesting and effective.

I probably set my hopes up too high after the preview, but I was extremely disappointed with "Fright Night." This episode is one of my biggest disappointments in the series.

4.6/10