Dark Angel

Borrowed Time

Aired Unknown Feb 01, 2002 on FOX

• Couldn't Max or Logan get another $20K to buy another 12 hours?

I liked this episode though I felt it was a little uneven what with the romantic storyline with Max and Logan and the comedic-like storyline with the Gossamer. One minute we are laughing and the next feeling sorry for Max and Logan. Well, actually I never have really felt sorry for them. I mean, come on Logan! Stop thinking all the time and take some action! This is why I prefer Alec to Logan. One thing that troubled me though was why couldn't Max or Logan come up with another 20K to buy themselves another 12 hours together. Granted it isn't a permanent solution, but something is better than nothing if you are really in love, right?
  • max finds a temporary cure

this episode was ok, the max and logan thing was just so beutiful, and when joshua came in she should have just said too bad, but no. she had to go out and waste her time on something that could have waited a few hours, but actually to do what they wanted to do wouldnt have taken to long any way. not only did that suck, but the thing attacking poeple looked so stupid and fake, which brought down my score, but other than the stupid looking monster, it would really good.
    logan told max he loved her, to bad she didnt say it back to him so he could hear it!! alec was extreamly funny in this one.
  • I would have rated this episode higher had it not been for the ridiculous secondary story!

Borrowed Time had such great potential! First, there's the excitement that Max finally finds a cure for the virus. After convincing Alec to help her steal in order to get the money she needs, she pays the technician who injects her with immunoglobin that will prevent the virus from replicating. Yeah! One problem though... the virus mutates and begins dissolving the protein coat, so the cure will be temporary. Okay, stop right there! Providing a temporary cure so Max and Logan could be together would have been the perfect solution. It would have given the fans a little bit of Max/Logan romance, but it would have returned them to their agonizing separation for the next episode. Thus, keeping the show's two main characters from hooking up (which we all know is ultimately death to a good show!)

But, no... the writers had to go and include the stupid storyline involving another Manticore monster (and the most hideous and sci-fi creature revealed so far) to keep Max and Logan from being together during their limited time of virus immunity. So, instead of some cute, romantic interaction, we've got Max traipsing through the sewer with Alec after some creature that throws slime at its victims!

The funniest part of this episode is when Joshua comes to Logan's to tell Max about the Gossamer. When he sees Max and Logan (who've been slow-dancing), he averts his eyes and yells, "Stop getting busy, please!" But the ending of this episode was heart-breaking! With their time nearly up, Max and Logan sit side-by-side in a junkyard car, where Logan tells Max what it was like for him when he thought she was dead and how he feels the same way now. He wishes they would have done things differently last year when they were too afraid to admit their feelings. As the beeper goes off, he leans in to give Max a passionate kiss, then climbs out of the car. He looks back at her and says, I love you, Max. As he walks away, Max says, I love you, too. The episode ends as a tear falls down her face.

So disappointing, such great potential, such a good opportunity wasted...
  • For a terrible simile, Borrowed Time is like a cake with meat - two usually great tastes that set your stomach in motion when mixed. To be fair, it's not as bad as you'd think, but the touching moments are interrupted and lessened by pure cheese.

6.8
    Much is made of the plot point introduced at the beginning of the second season that results in Max and Logan unable to touch. This is the first episode where it is brought to the forefront, as a temporary cure is found. That the two are not able to put this time to as good use as intended is no surprise - it would be emotionally fulfilling given much that has come before, but not particularly interesting. Thus, we have the actual plot of the episode that involves a bizarre Manticore-bred search-and-retrieve creature that has been abducting people.

First off, given the distinctive impotence of the creature it is a bit of a stretch that Max and Logan are willing to forsake a chance to consumate their relationship to save a number of people that really are in no rush to be saved - the only danger they're in is of starving to death, since the creature does nothing beyond trapping them at the junkyard.

Second, much of the emotional impact of this 'chance' the two leads are getting is lost due to the design department and special effects team. Credit should be given where credit is due in stretching a low budget, but this monster is beyond B-grade bad in both design and execution. I'm not sure if it's a kid hunched over in a suit or bad CG or bad stop-motion, but the thing is absolutely terrible. This is not to speak of the poorly articulated mouth that supposedly spits sticky goo at people to immobilize them during close-ups. Wow. Just wow.

So on one hand you have a touching story element with Max and Logan - at long last - able to touch, but unable to touch because both are selfless enough to assist the general populace. They do share a nice moment near the end of the episode in the back seat of a car (though it's not what it sounds like) that makes up for some of the toying.

On the other hand, impact could have been had with a more effective villian. Even if it was a person doing the kidnapping instead of a poorly designed toy dinosaur the episode would have had far more resonance and we might actually understand why effort was made to go after him. Slight consolation comes from the fact that the creature is so bad it's funny to watch, especially when it gets in a kick or two while fighting Max. Hooray for cheese!
  • Max and Logan get a temporary cure for the virus

Max and Alex steal a copy of Star Wars:Episode 7. Max needs the money to pay a former Manticore scientist who thinks he's found a cure for the virus that's keeping Logan on Ma appart. After a good start, Max finds that she's only going to be safe for Logan to touch for 12 hours.
    Just when Logan and Max are going to finally comsumate their relationship, Joshua burst in, insisting Max help him stop, yet another deadly Manicore creation. when Max finally defeats the creature, her time is up. She and Logan share a last kiss.