Dark Angel Forums

FOX (ended 2002)

Dark Angel on DVD

rebates

[21]Jul 20, 2006
    • level: 17
    I'm currently watching S2; not enjoying it as much as S1.  I haven't listened to any S2 commentaries yet, but I did listen to the commentary on ...And Jesus Brought a Casserole.  Personally, I find the commentaries more interesting when the actors themselves are talking.  The producers don't always have as many fun things to say.  Jessica Alba and Michael Weatherly do a great job on AJBAC, and it's even more entertaining since the commentary was recorded while they were still together!  I tried watching the commentary on Rising from S1, but I fell asleep. Once I get around to it, I'll probably watch more of the commentaries from S2 since people on this thread recommended it!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

historylover20

[22]Jul 20, 2006
    • level: 28
    I recommend the commentaries on season 2!

Kat

seanconery

[23]Aug 23, 2006
    • level: 10
    Hmm...I downloaded all of mine, but I think I might have to buy it just to listen to the commentaries. Does James Cameron do any?

rebates

[24]Aug 23, 2006
    • level: 17
    No, I don't think he does, but the other creator Chic Eglee is part of one with some other producers and Richard Gunn (Sketchy) on Freak Nation.  I listened to some of it and found most of it informative, but I still think the most interesting commentaries are the ones that the actors do.  Plus, there were just too many people talking on the Freak Nation commentary.

seanconery

[25]Aug 24, 2006
    Well obviously Jessica Alba would do great commentary, but they always advertised the show as "James Cameron's Dark Angel." And he did directed a couple episodes.

taper6

[26]Sep 3, 2006
    • level: 7
    archangelcory16 wrote:
    I love the show but rewatching it...I forgot how cheap this show was compared to shows TODAY...and in 2000 this show had one of the most expensive pilots ever! Sheesh.

Also, the fact that the DVDs are in full frame format is a serious pain in the ass.

I'm interested in what you mean by 'cheap'? Is there something else beside the lack of 'full frame format' that contributes to the 'cheapness'?

If by 'cheap' you mean there's short cuts in the plot that have to swallowed by the viewer, I agree. In other shows that sloppiness tends to drive me nuts, but strangely, with DA, I'm not bothered by it. If you mean the dated special effects, I sure don't miss them, and their too-loud music. Really, not trying to flame you, I'm interested in what you're getting at.

seanconery

[27]Sep 4, 2006
    taper6 wrote:
    archangelcory16 wrote:
    I love the show but rewatching it...I forgot how cheap this show was compared to shows TODAY...and in 2000 this show had one of the most expensive pilots ever! Sheesh.

Also, the fact that the DVDs are in full frame format is a serious pain in the ass.

I'm interested in what you mean by 'cheap'? Is there something else beside the lack of 'full frame format' that contributes to the 'cheapness'?

If by 'cheap' you mean there's short cuts in the plot that have to swallowed by the viewer, I agree. In other shows that sloppiness tends to drive me nuts, but strangely, with DA, I'm not bothered by it. If you mean the dated special effects, I sure don't miss them, and their too-loud music. Really, not trying to flame you, I'm interested in what you're getting at.

I think he means the production looks cheap. Just look a Buffy season 1 compared to the later seasons. It's the same show, but it just looks crisper on dvd and the sound is better. Also shows tend to get better after being on air for a while.

taper6

[28]Sep 5, 2006
    Yes, I think you're probably right about the 'cheap' adjective. My equipment is so dated, and my hearing so bad that I probably never see a difference.

'shows tend to get better after being on the air a while'? NOT. The second season of a show is usually kinda lame. My guess is they fire the original writers once they think they have a fan base hooked.

krackle_n_pop

[29]Oct 14, 2006
    exept fo Buffy season 2 that is, oh and Grey's Anatomy season 2 as well.

I don't think they fire the original writers, bit they may get lazy, or either cant take a show in a new direction from their orginial premise, it becomes stal, or they take it too far away from season one that it alienates viewers. Eg. Dark Angel, they took season 2 in a very different direction from season 1....some say too far from the original premise.

I downloaded all my second season. So does anyone know if you can find the commentaries oline or on youtube or anything? And can anyone give me a list of the episodes with commentaries, and who does the commentaries for each?
    Edited on 10/14/2006 3:18pm

seanconery

[30]Oct 14, 2006
    The second season of DA rules.

historylover20

[31]Oct 15, 2006
    krackle_n_pop wrote:
    exept fo Buffy season 2 that is, oh and Grey's Anatomy season 2 as well.

I don't think they fire the original writers, bit they may get lazy, or either cant take a show in a new direction from their orginial premise, it becomes stal, or they take it too far away from season one that it alienates viewers. Eg. Dark Angel, they took season 2 in a very different direction from season 1....some say too far from the original premise.

I downloaded all my second season. So does anyone know if you can find the commentaries oline or on youtube or anything? And can anyone give me a list of the episodes with commentaries, and who does the commentaries for each?

OK, I doubt whether you can find the exact commentaries. You can find transcripts for some of them, though.

Designate This--Co-Executive Producer Kenneth Biller, Executive Producer/Writer Rene Echevarria, Co-Producer/Writer Moira Kirland Dekker, Director Jeff Woolnough

The Berrisford Agenda--Co-Producer/Writer Moira Kirland Dekker and Producer Janace Tashjian

Hello Goodbye--Director Jeff Woolnough and Writer Jose Molina

Freak Nation--Richard Gunn (Sketchy), Executive Producer/Co-Writer Rene Echevarria, Executive Producer/Co-Writer Charles H. Eglee, Co-Executive Producer Kenneth Biller, Co-Producer Moira Kirland Dekker

Kat

krackle_n_pop

[32]Oct 15, 2006
    awesome, thanks

alibeth25

[33]Oct 29, 2006
    • level: 26

I don't own the dvds. But, I will as soon as I find them. Right now the only I found them is at amazon. I don't want to pay the extra mone for shipping and handling. I also looked at Traget, but they didn't have them. Since, I live near and Army Base I looked there and they didn't have them either. Bases are the best place to shop since you don't have to pay tax. I will just have to keep looking. I think I'll try Best Buy next.

historylover20

[34]Oct 29, 2006
    Best Buy would be a good choice, but Amazon doesn't make you pay for shipping and handling if the purchase is over $25. And, I know those DVDs are over $25.

Kat

jensen_tjpw

[35]Nov 7, 2006
    • level: 8

I live in Canada n i bought my dvd at best buy and it was around $40-$50. In the dvds i have (season 1+2) there are commentaries and in the sixth disk of season 2 James Cameron and most of trhe cast and actors talk about how fox annoced it was going to stop airing it said alot more but i have to re-watch it again n listen to the reason why again.

jensen_tjpw

[36]Nov 7, 2006

Out of the whole Dark Angel DVD set Jessica Alba and Michael Weatherly only did one commentary. It was And Jesus Bought A Casserole(season one fanalie) it was funny. I also have boopers on the special features i creied of laughter. There are alot of commentaries on episode but alot are with the writers of that episode, Executive producer and more. I never saw or heard James Cameron do one, in the little episode guide that came with the dvd his name doesnt come up on any commentaries(maybe I missed his name and misread).

jensen_tjpw

[39]Nov 8, 2006
    I got a question I dont know if any of you guys watched the DVD and also read the 3 books of Dark Angel, but if you read the book is it similar to when u watch it. I mean detailed enough to run it through your mind as you are reading? I'm getting the books I just wanted to know if it is also a good story line.

jfgrisham

[40]Nov 26, 2006
    • level: 1

I think it should become a series as in the past like before.  Use all the people as before and just continue from Season 2, but this time let there be a cure for the virus.  Then it can go from there and bring back Lidecker......

Somehow get rid of Ames!!!