Dark Angel Forums

FOX (ended 2002)

Dark Angel on DVD

jfgrisham

[41]Nov 26, 2006
    • level: 1
    No. It's more action when you can see it played out.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

jfhlbuffy

[42]Dec 23, 2006
    • level: 13
    jfgrisham wrote:

I think it should become a series as in the past like before.  Use all the people as before and just continue from Season 2, but this time let there be a cure for the virus.  Then it can go from there and bring back Lidecker......

Somehow get rid of Ames!!!

...so you think an already cancelled due to low ratings show would come back with the full cast, six years later, and be better than it was if they get rid of any adversity the characters have to face?

morgul_lord666

[43]Dec 25, 2006
    • level: 5
    I just got Season 1 for christmas. I have only watched the first 2 episodes, but I think it's great since they cancelled the show off space in September.

alibeth25

[44]Jan 17, 2007
    • level: 26

I finally got the box sets. During Christmas, I went to Best Buy and they were on sell for $20 each. Once I got them, I spent like week watching them. I prefer season 2 to season 1.

seanconery

[45]Jan 17, 2007
    • level: 10
    I think most of us agree.

mystique1987

[46]Mar 9, 2007

Isn't this show just amazing.  I cant believe I overlooked it for so many years.  I just completed my collection with the Complete Collection boxset.  I didn't even need to spend money on all those extra episodes considering I was only missing the second half of season one but it was definately worth it.  Plus the packaging was impossible to resist.  I didn't expect to be blown away by the last 12 season one episodes after seing the last few season two episodes but as always this show exceeded my expectations.  Our Australian releases aren't full of bonus features but thats all for the better because its the show thats remarkable, not the DVD package.  I cant understand how I or anyone else could have overlooked this show.  Even when I watch it now it still seems better than all the other shows like Desperate Housewives and The OC which I used to think were great.  As it turn out Dark Angel probably was one of the first to employ the techniques and ideas that modern shows use to captivate viewers.  Only difference is it made these techniques its own and was modest about them despite being grounbreaking.

mystique1987

[47]Mar 9, 2007

seanconery wrote:
    taper6 wrote:
    archangelcory16 wrote:
    I love the show but rewatching it...I forgot how cheap this show was compared to shows TODAY...and in 2000 this show had one of the most expensive pilots ever! Sheesh. Also, the fact that the DVDs are in full frame format is a serious pain in the ass.
    I'm interested in what you mean by 'cheap'? Is there something else beside the lack of 'full frame format' that contributes to the 'cheapness'? If by 'cheap' you mean there's short cuts in the plot that have to swallowed by the viewer, I agree. In other shows that sloppiness tends to drive me nuts, but strangely, with DA, I'm not bothered by it. If you mean the dated special effects, I sure don't miss them, and their too-loud music. Really, not trying to flame you, I'm interested in what you're getting at.
    I think he means the production looks cheap. Just look a Buffy season 1 compared to the later seasons. It's the same show, but it just looks crisper on dvd and the sound is better. Also shows tend to get better after being on air for a while.

I think there is a purpose and a good reason for it appearing cheap.  This show is just like Buffy the Vampire Slayer in that it is meant to begin with little rescources and become more charming.  Unfortunately because it was cancelled after season two it never got to show us its full potential.  But even in these cheap episodes you can still see a sense of style.  I think its very visually stylish and it probably was the first to employ the visual techniques that make newer shows look so extravagent.  Plus I think its more visually sophisticated than newer shows.  Shows like Supernatural just overlay a strong green or brown tint over the video and turn down the brightness and turn up the contrast as much as possible.  Dark Angel production values are so much better but still very modest.  I probably would have become more stylish if it wasn't cancelled but still looks good considering how old it is.

Edited on 03/09/2007 9:09pm
    Edited 4 total times.

Sirius452

[48]Mar 11, 2007

Here's a totally off the wall question.  Does anyone happen to know the name of the actress who played Brin?

She's on Heroes now, three guesses why.  Please Help!

seanconery

[49]Mar 12, 2007
    They didn't mean to make it look cheap. In Buffy in season 3 they switched to better cameras so it would look less grainy.

Kristhetvgirl2

[50]Mar 15, 2007
    • level: 52

Firstly, has anyone else heard about the new re-release of the Dark Angel DVD sets in slim cases? For more info visit: http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=7021

Sirius452 wrote:

Here's a totally off the wall question.  Does anyone happen to know the name of the actress who played Brin?

She's on Heroes now, three guesses why.  Please Help!

The actress is Nicole Bilderback.

Sirius452

[51]Mar 15, 2007
    Thank You!

voldermania

[52]Apr 10, 2007

historylover20 wrote:
    charmed452 wrote:
    does any1 know why dark angel was cancelled?
    There are rumors that it was cancelled because Fox didn't want two expensive sci-fi shows on their schedule ("Firefly" was the second one.) I don't know if it's true or not. But, I do think that Fox can't stand by a good thing. Unless it's the X-Files, which went on way too long, and the Simpsons, which is still good. Kat

It was a conspiracy!! I'm not joking; I have actually heard this. Some people say the show was cancelled because there was a real - life version of the 'manticore' project in operation somewhere, and the government didnt want people to know, or something. I love crazy conspiracy people.

I found a tiny article in the newspaper today. About how within 20 years NASA (or someone else) will have an operational electromagnetic pulse weapon capable of destroying the telecommunications of an entire country. That DA - WAY ahead of its time.

voldermania

[53]Apr 10, 2007
    Alot of people stopped watching season 2, because they didnt like the monsters storyline, and I can kindof see why. They kind of...lowered the tone, if you knwo what I mean? I heard that alot of the actors didnt like the monster storyline either. I guess Camerons lessened involvement in season 2 had quite a big impact...

KrzyRiver

[54]Apr 10, 2007
    I was just over at Amazon.com and I saw that there are some new DVD box sets of seasons 1 and 2 that are coming out in June. There's no real info listed at Amazon and the season 2 box looks exactly the same as the original. Anybody know what that's all about?

NadimS

[55]Apr 17, 2007

Yeah. They're called "Slim Sets". Basically they re-release the old sets with the same exact features but in a package that's much smaller and takes up less space on your shelf. Fox is milking the franchise basically. I did however like that they changed the first season cover and put a season two pic of Jessica that's pretty cool. Now the two sets match. But, it's kinda weird since Jessica looked nothing like that in season one. oh well.... hope that helped.

athevolunteer

[56]Apr 18, 2007
    • level: 20
    So my question is should I wait for the slim sets or buy the DVDs out now?

seanconery

[57]Apr 18, 2007
    voldermania wrote:

historylover20 wrote:
    charmed452 wrote:
    does any1 know why dark angel was cancelled?
    There are rumors that it was cancelled because Fox didn't want two expensive sci-fi shows on their schedule ("Firefly" was the second one.) I don't know if it's true or not. But, I do think that Fox can't stand by a good thing. Unless it's the X-Files, which went on way too long, and the Simpsons, which is still good. Kat

It was a conspiracy!! I'm not joking; I have actually heard this. Some people say the show was cancelled because there was a real - life version of the 'manticore' project in operation somewhere, and the government didnt want people to know, or something. I love crazy conspiracy people.

I found a tiny article in the newspaper today. About how within 20 years NASA (or someone else) will have an operational electromagnetic pulse weapon capable of destroying the telecommunications of an entire country. That DA - WAY ahead of its time.

That's just crazy, as a microbiologist I can tell you we are not even close to the made up scifi science they use in DA. Compared to what they say we can do with genetics and molecular biology we are in the dark ages. And as to the emp device, that's nothing new, we've known about emps since the invention of nukes. Furthermore no emp could do that much damage to our infrastructure if it was only detonated on the west coast, data these days aren't just stored in one location. Destroying a couple computers isn't going to cripple us. Also its pretty easy to shield against an emp.

childzy

[58]Apr 20, 2007

So heres my point

Although i loved the whole series, and have watched the DVD's over n over

1 thing hits me hard

Y the hell isnt it Concluded

leaving us all in the air over how max n gang end up  no ride off into the Sunset 4 her is a cliff hanger that i cant stand  lol

tribalchic

[59]Apr 30, 2007
    • level: 17

hey,i have been saying it.they should make a  d.a.movie (like sirenity)

giving it a much neede story resolution.

and i got to ask why are people still arguing for season 3?ITS NEVER GOING TO HAPPEN!!!!!!its like yall torture yourselfs.im a firm believer that the show should get a proper ending....and a wrap-up a movie should suffice.

electricpeppers

[60]May 19, 2007
    • level: 26
    NadimS wrote:

Yeah. They're called "Slim Sets". Basically they re-release the old sets with the same exact features but in a package that's much smaller and takes up less space on your shelf. Fox is milking the franchise basically. I did however like that they changed the first season cover and put a season two pic of Jessica that's pretty cool. Now the two sets match. But, it's kinda weird since Jessica looked nothing like that in season one. oh well.... hope that helped.

Ha, I wish I'd waited for the slim set then!