FOX (ended 2002)

POLL: Fave character?

Who's your favorite character?

seanconery

[21]Feb 2, 2007
    • level: 10
    Crogos wrote:
    seanconery wrote:
    Come on Crogos she's not that bad. Give her some props for Sin City, plus Into the Blue really was a good escapist adventure. Besides, it's not like she gets the best writing.   We all know that Natalie Portman and Sam Jackson and Ewan McGregor and many more from Star Wars can act, but no one can escape the crap that is George Lucas directing.
    Hahaha! The crap that is George Lucas! Love it. I thought I was alone on that one hahaha. *Into the Blue* that's the title of the movie! Honestly, I couldn't recall. But come on? Escapist adventure? Give me a break, it was a two hour hurt-fest...so campy, very predictable, a very typical movie. By that I mean it's one of the 'hot-guy, hot-girl, let's take off as much clothing as we can, but still keep it PG-13' movies. Plot? Who needs a plot? We have Jessica Alba, Paul Walker and a beach--what more do you need? And on Sin City. Honestly? I don't recall her reciting any lines at all in that film. Just the one scene where she is...ahem...working the pole. Yeah, okay she's hot, but that doesn't merit acclaim for her acting abilities. Seriously, she was in more than one scene in that movie?! Clearly she is not remembered for anything other than her looks. And don't start saying her looks over-shadow her talent. Come on Halle Berry? Julia Roberts? Natalie Portman? And so on and so forth. But come on. It's Jessica Alba who chooses what she wants to play. It's Jessica Alba who portrays this image that gets her the roles that typecast her as the 'hot-girl' who hangs off the arm of the typecast 'hot-guy'. If she wants a more serious career that isn't focused solely on her image she needs to not only choose better roles, but work hard to earn those roles. Not saying that she doesn't work hard, but her acting skills definately need some sprucing up, to say the least, before she will earn a spot in any of those roles.

I don't think you are being quite fair to Into the Blue. Okay, I guess it's not your cup of tea, but it did have a plot and everythign that happend could is pretty feasable. Here is some of what Ebert had to say about the movie: "This description sounds dry and abstract, but the movie is juicy with fun. I'm trying not to tell you too much about what happens, because one of the pleasures of "Into the Blue" is that it develops as a narrative, not as a series of action scenes, and the characters don't mindlessly hurry from one impossible stunt to another but weigh their options, advocate opposing strategies and improvise when they get in danger." "The opening scenes are deceptive. The Jessica Alba character seems to have wandered over from the Sports Illustrated swimsuit issue, or maybe she thinks she's in a video. Then the plot kicks in and she gets a lot to do while still looking fine in a swimsuit. She also looks surprisingly sweet after the stripper she played in "Sin City." Scott Caan, like his old man, James Caan, does a good job of playing a persuasive jerk, and Paul Walker is intriguing in the way he has his standards but can be talked out of them. People actually change their minds during this movie; in most action films, they're issued with an identity in their first scene and limited by that identity for the rest of the movie." ""Into the Blue" offers modest pleasures. It is not an essential film, but if you go to see it, it will not insult your intelligence, and there's genuine suspense toward the end. It is a well-made example in a genre that has been cheapened and made routine. There's evidence the filmmakers spent more time talking about the characters and story than about how special effects would allow them to cheat on the narrative logic. And at the end of the film, there are some small surprises about who has survived and who has not. Usually you can predict the final head count at the end of the first act. "
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

spaci

[22]Feb 4, 2007
    • level: 29

I guess I'm the odd man out here, I voted for Logan.  But it could easily have gone to either Max or Alec.  IMHO, those three are pretty much tied for the top spot.  But Logan could never get bumped out of the top for me, mostly 'cause he is Eyes Only.  I've got a real thing for the Don Quixotes of the world.  Constantly fighting the good fight against overwhelming odds.....what could be hotter?

thebowies

[23]Feb 10, 2007

seanconery, yes, the originals were cheesy at times, but not so self-important and pretentiously bad!  I get that you get more cynical as you get older, but, jeez! All I can say is Lucas needed to stick within his own d--n mythology!  Obi-Wan Kenobi saying to Luke that Anakin was his greatest student, well, hello, according to 'Attack of the Clones' etc., he was your only student, fool!

tribalchic

[24]Feb 10, 2007
    • level: 17
    spaci wrote:

I guess I'm the odd man out here, I voted for Logan.  But it could easily have gone to either Max or Alec.  IMHO, those three are pretty much tied for the top spot.  But Logan could never get bumped out of the top for me, mostly 'cause he is Eyes Only.  I've got a real thing for the Don Quixotes of the world.  Constantly fighting the good fight against overwhelming odds.....what could be hotter?

hehe i voted for logan too.i never really liked logan as acharacter but i LOOOOVVVEEE michael weatherly.

as far as jessica alba,well someone already said it.she has about 3 facial expressions and my GOD i wince whenever she tries a crying scene its pretty painful to watch.

the great thing about dark angel,it had a amazing supporting cast that way outdid the star.(lydecker,alec,normal,logan sometimes,)

seanconery

[25]Feb 11, 2007
    thebowies wrote:

seanconery, yes, the originals were cheesy at times, but not so self-important and pretentiously bad!  I get that you get more cynical as you get older, but, jeez! All I can say is Lucas needed to stick within his own d--n mythology!  Obi-Wan Kenobi saying to Luke that Anakin was his greatest student, well, hello, according to 'Attack of the Clones' etc., he was your only student, fool!

Haha, this is true.

Crogos

[26]Feb 11, 2007
    • level: 11

tribalchic wrote:
    spaci wrote:

I guess I'm the odd man out here, I voted for Logan.  But it could easily have gone to either Max or Alec.  IMHO, those three are pretty much tied for the top spot.  But Logan could never get bumped out of the top for me, mostly 'cause he is Eyes Only.  I've got a real thing for the Don Quixotes of the world.  Constantly fighting the good fight against overwhelming odds.....what could be hotter?

hehe i voted for logan too.i never really liked logan as acharacter but i LOOOOVVVEEE michael weatherly.

as far as jessica alba,well someone already said it.she has about 3 facial expressions and my GOD i wince whenever she tries a crying scene its pretty painful to watch.

the great thing about dark angel,it had a amazing supporting cast that way outdid the star.(lydecker,alec,normal,logan sometimes,)

Yeah, I'm kinda the opposite on this one.  I didn't mind the character Logan--kinda annoying, wouldn't've minded if he was killed off in a ridiculously violent manner in the show. hahaha.  Michael Weatherly...not so much.  From what I've read about on-set antics before the show ended and after it was cancelled, I really didn't like the guy at all.  But hey, what do I know? 

Haha, but yeah, that was me on the whole 3 facial expressions.  It's so true, unfortunately.  Poor J-Alba, I mean she's really pretty, and she seems to have the right attitude to play Max, but she was definately lacking in the acting dept.  I completely agree with you on the whole supporting cast out-shining the star of the show, though Jessica Alba is still the "most successful" of the actors from this series...If you call making movies that cast her because of her body/physical appearance; and rarely, if at all require her to challenge herself and elicit some genuine acting--then yeah, she's made a real step up. hahaha.

Yeah...I'm an Alec, Normal, Lydecker fan.  Those guys were great.  Man, the guy who played Josh was awesome too, though his character was iffy for me at times--but that was mostly the writing of him.

As for the question of what could be hotter, I think it's pretty easy, come on: rogue, bad-boy with a heart of gold, a shady past, and looks that could kill? Jensen Ackles as Alec (well, as anyone really), infinitely hotter than anyone else on the show.

MrsTonyDiNozzo

[27]Feb 15, 2007
    • level: 8
    I said Logan but I loved everyone!

spaci

[28]Feb 27, 2007
    Crogos wrote:

spaci wrote:
    Constantly fighting the good fight against overwhelming odds.....what could be hotter?

As for the question of what could be hotter, I think it's pretty easy, come on: rogue, bad-boy with a heart of gold, a shady past, and looks that could kill? Jensen Ackles as Alec (well, as anyone really), infinitely hotter than anyone else on the show.

When it comes to hot, Jensen definitely wins! I'm a HUGE Jensen fan. But as much as I love Alec, and as much as I totally agree with you as far as his character, there always was something about Logan that really got me. I'm a sucker for the bad boys with hearts of gold, but I'm even more of a sucker for the good boys with a dark side.

Crogos

[29]Mar 5, 2007
    spaci wrote:
    Crogos wrote:

spaci wrote:
    Constantly fighting the good fight against overwhelming odds.....what could be hotter?

When it comes to hot, Jensen definitely wins! I'm a HUGE Jensen fan. But as much as I love Alec, and as much as I totally agree with you as far as his character, there always was something about Logan that really got me. I'm a sucker for the bad boys with hearts of gold, but I'm even more of a sucker for the good boys with a dark side.

What?! Logan had a dark side? What dark side? He was as deep as a puddle. I'll blame that on the writers, but really, what was dark about Logan's character?

thebowies

[30]Mar 5, 2007
    Crogos, you've said it yourself, Logan going after Max, a woman much too young for him!  That's a little dark & creepy!

SilenceIsGolden

[31]Mar 6, 2007
    • level: 3
    hey, at least she was legal. these days she coulda been 14

spaci

[32]Mar 6, 2007
    Crogos wrote:
    What?! Logan had a dark side? What dark side? He was as deep as a puddle. I'll blame that on the writers, but really, what was dark about Logan's character?
    Um, if he had no dark side he wouldn't have been a rogue journalist, but instead would've been trying to work within the system. All-American good boys don't work outside the law. Instead he's a crusader who does whatever it takes within his own ethical code. Which is the type which tends to make my knees a touch wobbly.

spaci

[33]Mar 6, 2007
    thebowies wrote:
    Crogos, you've said it yourself, Logan going after Max, a woman much too young for him!  That's a little dark & creepy!

Er, if Max was too young for Logan, does that mean that Jessica Alba was also too young for Michael Weatherly? If so, maybe someone should've mentioned that to them when they were dating, or at least while they were engaged. Yes, he's 13 years older than her, but so what? My brother's last girlfriend was way too old for him, and she was 24 when he was 30. Within reason (like, no jail-bait), age doesn't matter, people, maturity levels and personalities do.

Crogos

[35]Mar 7, 2007
    spaci wrote:
    thebowies wrote:

Er, if Max was too young for Logan, does that mean that Jessica Alba was also too young for Michael Weatherly? If so, maybe someone should've mentioned that to them when they were dating, or at least while they were engaged. Yes, he's 13 years older than her, but so what? My brother's last girlfriend was way too old for him, and she was 24 when he was 30. Within reason (like, no jail-bait), age doesn't matter, people, maturity levels and personalities do.

Yes, yes I am saying that Jessica Alba was too young for Michael Weatherly. I mean come on, look how that one ended up anyways hahaha. But hey, not my life...Dude, come on, thirteen years is not within reasonable limits, I dunno what your thing is, but hey? It was just too creepy for me.

And yeah, you're right, I should've told them that while they were together. Gosh, why didn't I just call up Jess, or ya know, text Mike--we're on a first name basis, we're tight like that.

And did you mean she was 30 and he 24? I think so. Yeah, okay six years, not that big a deal, but thirteen is double digits! Whatever. When she was hitting puberty he was at the same age people are at finishing law school or med school. Dude, you gotta be in post secondary edu for like 7 years before that. Waytoo old, waytoo creepy for me.

Crogos

[36]Mar 7, 2007
    spaci wrote:
    Crogos wrote:
    Um, if he had no dark side he wouldn't have been a rogue journalist, but instead would've been trying to work within the system. All-American good boys don't work outside the law. Instead he's a crusader who does whatever it takes within his own ethical code. Which is the type which tends to make my knees a touch wobbly.

Okay, maybe we have a little bit of a definition difference for the term "dark" I never really saw Logan's actions as being dark, because he was a good guy--all the damn time. I can understand, though, what you mean. He was a dark character from the perspective of the "outsider." But as a viewer of DA and taking in the perspective we were given, he wasn't dark at all. He was the moral measuring stick for every person on the show. He knows right and wrong and the difference between good and bad and never deviates from that--everyone else didn't in post-apocalytic America, that doesn't make his crusade dark for "going against the grain". Logan is the light at the end of the proverbial freakin' tunnel.
    When I think dark I'm edging towards the idea of conflicted. A dark person would have troubling secrets, or just be troubled in general, and no EO doesn't count because that was never morally conflicting for Logan, just Max or Alec, etc--people learning right from wrong, and choosing between the two. Logan never seemed conflicted about what he had to do. True there was that one time when he discovered Max killing as a kid w/Ben etc. But he only seemed mildly freaked out, never anything else really. I guess that's on the writers inconsistency again though. He wasn't really conflicted by that discovery momentarily troubled, yeah, then it passed, whatever.

I guess he was dark, preying on an emotionally vulnerable, and significantly younger woman in Max, but I can hardly see how that could be in any way, shape or form attractive.

spaci

[37]Mar 7, 2007
    Crogos wrote:
    spaci wrote:
    thebowies wrote:

Yes, he's 13 years older than her, but so what? My brother's last girlfriend was way too old for him, and she was 24 when he was 30. Within reason (like, no jail-bait), age doesn't matter, people, maturity levels and personalities do.

And did you mean she was 30 and he 24? I think so. Yeah, okay six years, not that big a deal, but thirteen is double digits! Whatever. When she was hitting puberty he was at the same age people are at finishing law school or med school. Dude, you gotta be in post secondary edu for like 7 years before that. Waytoo old, waytoo creepy for me.

No, I mean that he was 30, she was 24, and she ended up dumping him because she couldn't get him to act like a grown-up. With the exception of adults dating kids or teens, I don't see any problem with a relationship as long as it's based on the personalities involved, not on some status symbol or mid-life crisis. Age has never been an issue for me.

spaci

[38]Mar 7, 2007
    Crogos wrote:
    Okay, maybe we have a little bit of a definition difference for the term "dark" I never really saw Logan's actions as being dark, because he was a good guy--all the damn time. I can understand, though, what you mean. He was a dark character from the perspective of the "outsider." But as a viewer of DA and taking in the perspective we were given, he wasn't dark at all. He was the moral measuring stick for every person on the show. He knows right and wrong and the difference between good and bad and never deviates from that--everyone else didn't in post-apocalytic America, that doesn't make his crusade dark for "going against the grain". Logan is the light at the end of the proverbial freakin' tunnel.
    When I think dark I'm edging towards the idea of conflicted. A dark person would have troubling secrets, or just be troubled in general, and no EO doesn't count because that was never morally conflicting for Logan, just Max or Alec, etc--people learning right from wrong, and choosing between the two. Logan never seemed conflicted about what he had to do. True there was that one time when he discovered Max killing as a kid w/Ben etc. But he only seemed mildly freaked out, never anything else really. I guess that's on the writers inconsistency again though. He wasn't really conflicted by that discovery momentarily troubled, yeah, then it passed, whatever.

I guess he was dark, preying on an emotionally vulnerable, and significantly younger woman in Max, but I can hardly see how that could be in any way, shape or form attractive.

I never said he was dark, I said he had a dark side. Being willing to take action no matter the consequences, going against the social structure, these are things that reflect a dark side to me. Then again, everyone has a dark side to their personality, I guess what I'd really meant is that I have a thing for the guys who aren't afraid to risk all for what they know is right.

What can I say - I'm the type who's out to save my little corner of the world, and I really admire that in others, IRL and on TV.

thebowies

[39]Mar 8, 2007
    This is probably getting boring for all of you, but I agree w/Crogos, once again! (& I swear we're not the same person posting twice...or are we? :twisted Michael Weatherly was MUCH too old for Jessica Alba, but that's Hollywood for you, at least he wasn't a producer using the casting couch to get the hot young things! Yeah, that would have been a lot creepier....

tribalchic

[40]Mar 8, 2007
    • level: 17
    Crogos wrote:
    spaci wrote:
    Crogos wrote:

spaci wrote:

puddle!no.He really did have a darkside(expecially in season1)that was evident in the second apartment scene in the pilot(when they were @the mirror and he was pretending to seduce her,just so he could get a glimpse of who she was),the morgue scene in art attack,his contacting lydecker for info in pollo loco,ect.

i found his character to be kind of sneaky at times.he allways kind of looked like there was more going on under the surface....than just the eyesonly do-gooder front he let on.His character was allways very interesting to me,until the middle of season2 when his character did a- 180 and went from interesting to totally flat(i blame the writing,and michael weatherly's antics for that) . 

but i am a sucker for michael weatherly(no matter what he does behind the screen),i think he has done some growing up since then or they would not have hired him for ncis .