Dark Angel Forums

FOX (ended 2002)

POLL: Logan - hate him or love him

logan cale?

Crogos

[61]Jan 30, 2008
    • level: 11

WTF?! Ugh. I had a whole diatribe written out here! I guess I'll start over.

My Logan hate really stems from my Michael Weatherly hate for ruining the show. The reason Logan didn't have much to do in terms of action in season 2 was because he was never supposed to be in season 2--which had absolutely nothing to do with Alec's character being introduced. But if you want to talk about who was eating time, it was Logan who took up Alec's more appreciated screen time.

Michael Weatherly signed onto the Dark Angel project for 1 year, at the end of which his character was supposed to die--a noble death of a hero--instead of Zack. Unfortunately, by then Weatherly was already screwing the star of the show and got her to pull a diva to keep his job. Alba actually threatened to walk off the show if he wasn't kept on.

The network didn't have a huge issue getting rid of Zack, they didn't really see the actor meshing with Alba anyways. They had, however, fallen in love with Jensen Ackles who played Ben in Pollo Loco, so they invited him back instead--much to the delight of the fans, who for many, Alec was season 2's saving grace.

Upon the introduction of these two new characters, Weatherly and Alba were both rather childish with their on-set relationship. The Asha character, played by Ashley Scott, never got to fully bloom because Alba was insecure--as was MW of Jensen Ackles. Their frustration with this direction was explained in jest by both Ackles and Scott in a featurette on the s2 dvds in which both talk about, "Oh haha, well yeah she was uncomfortable, I'm trying to steal her/his boyfriend/girlfriend on the show! *haha*" (thanks for being a sport Ashley!) (*not exact quotes) It's called acting douche-bags. That really frustrates me.

Anyways, as the season progressed and the behind the scenes antics escalated--from MW demanding re-writes if Alec got more lines/screen time, MW line counting, Alba being a diva, her anorexia--which was so bad at times they had to delay shooting because she couldn't stop shaking, and the MW-Alba trailor trysts, which delayed shooting--the two didn't endear themselves to the writers or network to say the least--Hence the lame a-s virus, and the snark directed towards Logan, usually via Alec. You'll notice how often Alec is saying exactly what the audience is thinking--see "You're so whipped" (Two), "If you're not happy, then I'm not happy" (Brainiac, I believe), 'When Logan deciphered the runes and Alec's snarky, "Well ofcourse he did (or something to that effect)"' (FN).

Not even Cameron could save the show with his directing of the finale. He was, however, a last minute fill-in for John Savage (Deck) because MW wanted to run a marathon and they had to move shooting around his schedule. Alec's role was greatly diminished after Cameron was through with it--obviously, since he didn't have the same vision as the writers and Savage, since he was actually rarely involved in the show. Alba and MW lived up Cameron's a-s.

MW actually even tried to become a producer on the show--to ensure that the ML and not MA storyline was pursued, as was requested by the network. And even though everyone thought the show was going to be picked up--Jensen Ackles said he had signed onto several more seasons of Dark Angel with Fox before its cancellation, and Alba was about to fly back to Vancouver to shoot when they called her to turn around since the show was cancelled. In the end it looked like the netword and writers didn't feel like the show was worth the trouble--with the mediocre to poor ratings and the drama behind the scenes, the axed it.

And that is why I can't control my gag reflex when Logan/MW comes on screen. If it was just the boring ol' Logan character I would still not like him (see my Logan-only diatribe on page 1), but it was really all the antics that went on and lead to the ruination of the show that really draws my ire. Thus I hate Michael Weatherly and Logan.

But hey, to each his own, if you're into that I guess.

...Wow, that's a lot longer than I thought it was.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Crogos

[62]Jan 30, 2008
    • level: 11

This was taken from an interview by MW to TVGuide for NCIS:

TV Guide: What can you say about the reports of turmoil on the set, which ended with creator Don Bellisario leaving the show?

Michael Weatherly: I stay largely outside the politics of the show. I learned two lessons on another show [Dark Angel, in which he costarred with - and became engaged to - Jessica Alba]: The less I say the better, and don't date your costar! So Mark Harmon and I have never dated. Though the Silver Fox and I did spend a week in Vermont that nobody knows about.

--Even Weatherly acknowledges the destruction that can be caused when he opens his mouth now. The douchebaggery that ensued during his tenure at DA was unbelievable. Ugh. Sorry. I don't mean to rant, really. I'll stop now.
    Edited on 01/30/2008 9:07pm

alyssa01

[63]Jan 31, 2008
    • level: 15

God i hated logan/MW even before i found all this out, i can't beleive that he would act like that just becouse JA is younger, hotter and more talented than him! How petty.

I am a huge JA/Alec fan and loved the idea of Max and Alec ( hated asha ) but that isn't the reason i dislike Logan becouse, even though it wasn't as harsh i also didn't really like him in season 1 either he is just so goddam pompous and arrogant and he totally manipulated and used max to suite his own agenda. So i was relieved when Alec joined in series two becouse he finally offered a lightheartedness that i think the show really needed ( Thanks to Logan :evil and i loved all the snide comments that he had for logan! HILARIOUS.

Therefore the Reason i love alec is becouse i dislike logan not the other way around!

mfirefly10

[64]Feb 22, 2008
    • level: 6

Even though MW may have made some really bad decisions during his time on DA, I LOVED Logan. For starters, I could relate to his character much easier than I could to Max. Yes, I am a female, but that's really all I had in common with Max. And really, how many of us can relate to a genetically engineered superwoman? Logan, on the other hand, fought with his mind and intellect more than his hands. Logan also felt left out from time to time. I think we all can relate to that. But I also liked Logan because he was a good man. He was kind and generous and he truly loved Max. Their relationship was the main reason I fell in love with the show. Their romance was so epic. Two people who couldn't admit their feelings until it was too late. Then, even though they were in love, they couldn't be together. Very tragic and beautiful: my favorite kind of love story. So, I came down on the loving Logan side. He and Max were my favorite characters and I loved them both equally.

allaboutmoxie

[65]Feb 28, 2008
    • level: 14

I can really agree with that stuff... About being able to relate to Logan

I loved Logan because he was a good person..

Mountiegirl

[66]Mar 16, 2009
    • level: 9

I didn't like Logan's character..... but I do like Micheal Wetherly.

Having read the previous posts I would like to say that I LOVE Jensen Ackels, I really do, and I love Alec! The character was amazing and they really shouldn't have focused so much on Logan because he was just grumpy all the time.

Also, I was a Alec/Max shipper. I thought they were a better couple.

Meredith1985

[67]Mar 20, 2009
    I kinda liked Logan, but I didn't like his relationship with Max. I like MW on NCIS though, but it's kinda sad that he is now smart enough to keep out of fights or relationships with co-stars, but that he wasn't when he was still on Dark Angel. My point is: He was already in his 30s (!!!) when he played Logan, but he didn't know how to behave on set. It's really sad that he was jealous of a guy (Jensen/Alec) 10 years younger than him. I think he and Jessica were really childish at that time, but she was only like 19 then, so I can understand her better than him. So, I used to like Logan as a character (not with Max!), but knowing all that stuff from BTS, it makes it harder for me to like him now.

lilangelkingdom

[68]Mar 28, 2009
    • level: 2
    I though that Logan and Max was a great couple they should be able to be with one another right now. I could see that their love is still strong but its conflicted. Alec and Max can't be with each other yet, Alec needs to figure out what he wants. I don't see their love for each other anytime soon. It seems to be just a growing friendship. It might grow to be something different later but now its just friendship.

lilangelkingdom

[69]Mar 28, 2009
    tribalchic wrote:

andrada_charmed wrote:
    I don't hate logan and i'm not obsessed with alec.... logan was great at first in the first season but in the second one(even in the episodes without alec) he was BOOOOOOOOORING and annoying. HAte is a strong word and i must say i don't hate him... i just disliked him during the second season. It's not because i like jensen(attention jensen NOT alec) but alec brought a lot of great stuff to the show... about the max/alec relationship...well i like them as friends/brothers but i would've liked to seem them as friends with benefits too...maybe to make logan more interested in max and stop whining around.. you can0t touch her? use a condom!! for crissake he was always oh my god max doesn't like me... oh my got i'm too stupid to find a cure and when they finally found that they can't beat the virus he was even worse... i got you like her she likes you your story's epic but dude live with it! you're a genius and you can't find a solution... as for alec even if he liked max a lot and there some episodes you really see that the writers wanted max and him to be more involved he just didn't say a thing! again i won't blame the actors cause they were both good as logan/alec but the writing... that's why i disliked logan and why i was angry with alec. did i make myself clear? I mean does it even make a little bit of sense?

couldnt have said it better myself!!!!

logan maybe a little to serious,but he was incredibly loyal and a good fence for max to lean on.i think in the first season he did a great job of taming her down a little by getting her to care about others and not just her self...(an aspect that was very evident in the second season)i also think he was a good moral compass for her since he was more mature...max tends to jump into things before thinking them through(i mean if it wasnt for him she would have been caught by lydecker in the second episode of the series...she was kinda careless that way)

but if they were gonna half-@** the character in the second season the way they did,they should have just killed him off in the first season finale...that way we didnt have to see a great charcter de-materialize before our eyes....i mean the second season was just an insult to his character.

I couldn't put it better than that. Logan was great but the writers needed to make him better then they did in the second season.

Edited on 03/28/2009 1:10am

lilangelkingdom

[70]Mar 28, 2009
    lilangelkingdom wrote:
    I kinda liked Logan, but I didn't like his relationship with Max. I like MW on NCIS though, but it's kinda sad that he is now smart enough to keep out of fights or relationships with co-stars, but that he wasn't when he was still on Dark Angel. My point is: He was already in his 30s (!!!) when he played Logan, but he didn't know how to behave on set. It's really sad that he was jealous of a guy (Jensen/Alec) 10 years younger than him. I think he and Jessica were really childish at that time, but she was only like 19 then, so I can understand her better than him. So, I used to like Logan as a character (not with Max!), but knowing all that stuff from BTS, it makes it harder for me to like him now.
    Well guys matures later than girls, in MW's defense. He was 30 and Jessica was 19, its about right though guys sometimes act more childish. I'm glad he has matured for NCIS.
    Edited on 03/28/2009 1:12am

historylover20

[71]Apr 1, 2009
    • level: 28

I'm doing a Dark Angel marathon now, and I'm watching season 1, which I haven't seen in a long, long, LONG time....

I just don't like Max and Logan together.

I keep wondering how Max made it 10 years by herself without Logan's mentoring hand to guide her. I don't like how he comes up with a clue to her missing siblings' whereabouts, but then kind of holds it over her--she has to do something for him in order for him to give her the information.

Don't forget, this girl has been by herself for 10 years. Although she didn't see her siblings or know how many escaped or if they were alive, she still managed to find herself a surrogate family at Jam Pony. She could handle herself just fine, without Logan's help.

And in season 2, Max herself becomes pretty unbearable. She loses her sense of humor. She becomes like Logan. It comes down to "Well, apparently Logan and Max deserve each other."

Now, I don't hate Logan. And I sure don't hate Michael Weatherly. (By the way, I was watching a rerun of NCIS and I can't even remember the name of the episode, but Tony (Michael Weatherly) says something about their suspect having as much chance with someone woman as he has with Jessica Alba. And I laughed so hard that I cried.)

Kat

trinity_destler

[72]May 19, 2009
    • level: 1
    :
    i know alot of people had mixed feelings for this character......expecially cuz all the jensen lovers hated him for stealing time away from the max/alec storyline that never got a chance to happen.

I don't understand this mindset. If you watch the show from the beginning you have already spent a season with the characters before Alec is introduced. How can Logan "steal" time from a *new* secondary character? He was always one of the two leads on the show, second only to Max, and their relationship was the most important thing in the series after Max's character arc. Especially considering Max would *never* have become the person she is if she had not met Logan.

If you hated Logan and didn't want to see him with Max, why were you watching the show? That was kind of the plot. Max/Alec was never *going* to happen and never even came close; he's the twin of her brother and she barely tolerates him as a friend. Alec never felt that way about Max, either, and always acknowledged that she was going to end up with Logan as soon as they got their crap sorted out. He even encourages them in his way.

I don't understand the Alec love anyway. He was an insufferable jerk 90% of the time, and a stock character (this types shows up all the time in action/romance movies), where Logan was complex and unique, human enough that the same qualities which made him such an incredible force for good in society became his personal flaws. That he wasn't all sweetness and light only indicates that DA was a well-written show. Max is always the easiest person to like either, but that's what makes her believable. Everyone has their moments of grating on your last nerve, but they have their wonderful moments too.

hex_fan_999

[73]Jun 14, 2009
    • level: 7
    I love im. He is so hot also.

Meredith1985

[74]Jul 7, 2009

trinity_destler wrote:
    :
    i know alot of people had mixed feelings for this character......expecially cuz all the jensen lovers hated him for stealing time away from the max/alec storyline that never got a chance to happen.
    I don't understand this mindset. If you watch the show from the beginning you have already spent a season with the characters before Alec is introduced. How can Logan "steal" time from a *new* secondary character? He was always one of the two leads on the show, second only to Max, and their relationship was the most important thing in the series after Max's character arc. Especially considering Max would *never* have become the person she is if she had not met Logan. If you hated Logan and didn't want to see him with Max, why were you watching the show? That was kind of the plot. Max/Alec was never *going* to happen and never even came close; he's the twin of her brother and she barely tolerates him as a friend. Alec never felt that way about Max, either, and always acknowledged that she was going to end up with Logan as soon as they got their crap sorted out. He even encourages them in his way. I don't understand the Alec love anyway. He was an insufferable jerk 90% of the time, and a stock character (this types shows up all the time in action/romance movies), where Logan was complex and unique, human enough that the same qualities which made him such an incredible force for good in society became his personal flaws. That he wasn't all sweetness and light only indicates that DA was a well-written show. Max is always the easiest person to like either, but that's what makes her believable. Everyone has their moments of grating on your last nerve, but they have their wonderful moments too.

I totally disagree with you. I get it that people wanted Max/Logan, especially if they had already watched season 1.

I also agree that Alec wasn't in love with Max, but who cares??? You can watch any show you want, there'll always be 2 characters who hate or don't care about each other, but that doesn't mean that they don't end up together in a later season. It happens all the time!!!

AND how can you say that Alec was a jerk 90% of the time??? He was a jerk in the beginning, but did you really watch the whole season or did you switch it off halfway through? Did you see the episode about his past? Or that one where Max opened up to him about Ben? How can you still think that she barely tolerated him as a friend? They were really close at the end of season 2, almost like brother and sister. You can't just take half the season and base your judgement about Alec on that. He was the character that developed most over the course of season 2, and he would have been great in following seasons.

niceisgood

[75]Mar 7, 2010

I love Logan. One of the reason I kept watching in the beginning.

I just don't get the thing with that either you love Logan/Mw or Alec/Ja. Theese two are two of my favourite actors and I love their characters. Sure, Max and Alec would be hot for a while but in the long run i want Max and Logan togehter.

Madelynn1984

[76]Mar 16, 2010
    • level: 6

LOVE HIM!