Dark Angel Forums

FOX (ended 2002)

Why did Dark Angel get cancelled?

mrquito

[1]Aug 7, 2006
    • level: 5

I just saw the finale from season 2 and it was GREAT!! I haven't seen it in like three years and I liked it even better this time around......

Anway why did the show get cancelled?? The first thing is that season 2 was on Friday which is BAD and I think the show overall was expensive...Does anyone know what really happened??

Edited on 08/19/2006 5:04pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

jxsilicon9

[2]Aug 8, 2006
    • level: 10
    mrquito wrote:

I just saw the finale from season 2 and it was GREAT!! I haven't seen it in like three years and I liked it even better this time around......

Anway why did the show get cancelled?? The first thing is that season 2 was on Friday which is BAD and I think the show overall was expensive...Does anyone know what really happened??

The ratings fell from the season one ratings. Mostly do to the changes that Fox implemented because of 9/11.And of course the friday death slot. The low ratings didn't justify the cost anymore.Maybe the show might get a tv movie. But thats doubtful because I doubt Jessica Alba would play the part. Or Fox would make the movie.

keith22

[3]Aug 11, 2006
    • level: 25

because of fox

seanconery

[4]Aug 11, 2006
    I like the show, but I have to be honest the writing/dialogue was horrific at times, and the acting was soso. They needed to get someone like Joss Whedon in there to pump up the dialogue. Sadly the show was cancelled to create room for a Joss Whedon series, Firefly, that was the next victim mindless Fox exects.

jxsilicon9

[5]Aug 11, 2006
    seanconery wrote:
    I like the show, but I have to be honest the writing/dialogue was horrific at times, and the acting was soso. They needed to get someone like Joss Whedon in there to pump up the dialogue. Sadly the show was cancelled to create room for a Joss Whedon series, Firefly, that was the next victim mindless Fox exects.

I agree but it was entertaining. Well at least the first season was entertaining. The second season was a trainwreck.

seanconery

[6]Aug 12, 2006
    Trainwreck? Really? I've only seen the first two episodes of the second season, but I have to say I think they are two of the best. I kinda like Alec. I think the actor playing him is much better than the one who played Zach.

jfhlbuffy

[7]Aug 14, 2006
    • level: 13
    I wouldn't call season 2 a trainwreck. But it just simply is not the same show. Season 1 and 2 are worlds apart. I beleive the only reason season 2 is so hated, is because it was second. People grew to love the first season, and the second season totally changed everything. If they were flipped, I think season 1 would be the 'bad' one. Season 2, on its own, is actually quite entertaining.

But, they just changed it way, way too much.

seanconery

[8]Aug 14, 2006
    Eh, I like them both, plus Jessica Alba was way hotter in season 2.

Clemontine

[9]Aug 15, 2006
    • level: 23
    Things were definitely different, but I dont know if I could say it was worse or better. It was just more DA, and great show as a whole.

But if I had to choose a favourite season, I might just say season 2.

morgul_lord666

[10]Aug 15, 2006
    • level: 5
    I think that Season 1 was way better, but I wouldn't call season 2 a trainwreck.

seanconery

[11]Aug 15, 2006
    I'm half way through season 2 now and I like it better just because it seems to have a long arc going, it still has episodes with random happenings and monsters, similar to Buffy or Smallville. I'd say it's definately more interesting with Max's virus and the ancient breeding cult.

Clemontine

[12]Aug 15, 2006
    I like how there is a lot more happening. More intense, more action.

Clemontine

[13]Aug 15, 2006
    [This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
    Edited on 08/15/2006 9:37pm

alyssa01

[14]Aug 21, 2006
    • level: 15
    the thing with this is that season two was kinda left on a cliffhanger i mean one minute we find out that "father" planned for max to be the sole savior in some biblical armagedon and the next we find out the show has been cancelled what the hell is that supposed to be about. you cannot cancel a show and leave so many loose ends, wether or not the transgenics will be accepted into society, what happened to lydecker, the breeding cult. the could at least make one movie (with different actors if necasary) to end the wondering!

Clemontine

[15]Aug 21, 2006
    Have you watched Freak nation with the Commentary. It answers a few questions, not all of course.

What I always wondered is why did Renfro have a pass for RCF if she was not in the breeding cult?

joshjr

[16]Aug 22, 2006
    • level: 12
    Well the ratings did drop off but the 2nd season was not as good. I read recently that not even the stars of the show were that happy with the 2nd season. Jessica Alba herself said that the true Dark Angel show was really the first season. The 2nd Season was not the same. I am almost finished with the 2nd season and I would deffinately have to say that I perfer the 1st season.

seanconery

[17]Aug 22, 2006
    I loved season 2, and really it's not all that different. Also it sort of improved because they added character arcs, it became more of a serial where each episode wasn't quite a stand alone and the dialogue was beefed up a bit. I think that things like Joshua hurt the ratings, especially with the casual viewers because it was just too cheesey.

Clemontine

[18]Aug 22, 2006
    I prefer season 2. The first season was too much about stuff that was irrelevant to Max's life. Lots of helping Logan. Thats all good, but season 2 was more intense and interesting because there was always some immediate threat, and a lot more relevant episodes. Also the new characters, Alec and Joshua, spiced things up a bit. In season one there were only 2 sides of Max. She was either with friends to goof around, or with Logan to be all mysterious. There was more variety in season 2 because of them. We saw heart with Joshua and honest frustration with Alec. And of course there is the unique relationship between Joshua and Alec.

The only things I didnt like about season 2 was the absence of Lydecker and the "love bug".
    Edited on 08/23/2006 9:21pm

seanconery

[19]Aug 23, 2006
    Clemontine wrote:
    I prefer season 2. The first season was too much about stuff that was irrelevant to Max's life. Lots of helping Logan. Thats all good, but season 2 was more intense and interesting because there was always some immediate threat, and a lot more relevant episodes. Also the new characters, Alec and Joshua, spiced things up a bit. In season one Max was either with friends to goof around, or with Logan to be all mysterious. There was more variety in season 2 because of them. We saw heart with Joshua and honest frustration with Alec. And of course there is the unique relationship between Joshua and Alec.

The only things I didnt like about season 2 was the absence of Lydecker and the "love bug".

I agree with everything you said except for Joshua. But I hate how it ended, it makes me so mad Fox ruins everything, including Firefly.

Clemontine

[20]Aug 23, 2006
    seanconery wrote:
    Clemontine wrote:
    I prefer season 2. The first season was too much about stuff that was irrelevant to Max's life. Lots of helping Logan. Thats all good, but season 2 was more intense and interesting because there was always some immediate threat, and a lot more relevant episodes. Also the new characters, Alec and Joshua, spiced things up a bit. In season one Max was either with friends to goof around, or with Logan to be all mysterious. There was more variety in season 2 because of them. We saw heart with Joshua and honest frustration with Alec. And of course there is the unique relationship between Joshua and Alec.

I agree with everything you said except for Joshua. But I hate how it ended, it makes me so mad Fox ruins everything, including Firefly.

Nice to know I'm not the only season 2 fan.